Skip to main content
Topic: Opinions, what would my car run at the track? (Read 2266 times) previous topic - next topic

Opinions, what would my car run at the track?

here is what I have, stock 302 bottom end, HO cam, GT40P heads, Explorer upper and lower intake, 65mm throttle body, cold air intake, 1.6 stamped rockers, Speed density, BBK shorty headers, offroad H-pipe, flowmaster 40's, AOD, 3:73 rear. hope this paints a clear picture, Thanks

Reply #1
What do you think the car weighs? And what kind of tires?  Street?  Drag radial?  Real slicks?
Love Foxes, Birds or Stangs.

Reply #2
car is stock weight 4500#?, nothing removed.  tires are 245/45/17 street

Reply #3
Man that seems a little on the heavy side, have you ever gone down the 1/4 mile before?  I built a T/A for a kid, thought it would run 13s.  This kid decided to mash the pedal the whole time and not drive, 15.1  almost made me cry.  But Id guess 14.2
Love Foxes, Birds or Stangs.

Reply #4
If the car with the driver weights 3650lbs and make 295Rear Wheel HP  Should go 14.00-13.5 in the 1/4

SCT Tuned by Me(Greg@SpeedyDyno.com)

E.T. 10.28 @ 136.5 MPH 1/4 mile: List of Mods; 351 EFI, AFR heads,AOD,Rousch 13in frt brakes,11in rear brakes, AirRide Tech air ride system, Sub frame connetors,2400 RPM stall, 3.50,BBK shorties,T62PT Turbos  air to air intercooled, Home built kit.
Car weights 3705lbs without driver:burnout:

Reply #5
I've never ran this car, I just got it to the point where its reliable and has no issues. I weigh about 190 if that makes any difference

Reply #6
I was figuring a 175 lb or so for the driver

SCT Tuned by Me(Greg@SpeedyDyno.com)

E.T. 10.28 @ 136.5 MPH 1/4 mile: List of Mods; 351 EFI, AFR heads,AOD,Rousch 13in frt brakes,11in rear brakes, AirRide Tech air ride system, Sub frame connetors,2400 RPM stall, 3.50,BBK shorties,T62PT Turbos  air to air intercooled, Home built kit.
Car weights 3705lbs without driver:burnout:

Reply #7
My old '88 Sport was 3839lbs with me in it(250lbs) an iron headed 351, T-5 and tools and junk in the trunk.  I would say to expect 14.20's with the right air and traction give or take a few tenths.  Pulling the front sway bar will help it transfer weight a lot better...but to a lot of people, the hassle isn't worth the extra tenth or two...I tend to agree.  Good luck and let us know how she does.

-Don
Project 3G: Grandpa Grocery Getter-'85 Crown Vic LTD 2-door, 351W with heavily ported/polished GT40 heads, heavily ported/polished Typhoon Power Plus upper & lower intake, Comp Cams 265DEH retarded 1*, FAST EZ-EFI, HD T5, 8.8" 3.73 trac lock with extra clutches, 3G alt. swap, '99 CVPI front brakes, '09 CVPI rear disc brakes, '00 CVPI booster&m/c + wilwood adj prop valve.

Parted & Gone-'88 T-bird Sport, 351W swap, ported GT40 heads

Reply #8
Don't know when I will get to run it, our track is closed due to some owner issues.

Reply #9
I would guess around a mid 15 and a 2.3 60'. The stock springs on those heads suck and you have no stall in that converter. A PI converter and TFS springs would most likely take a full two seconds off your ET.
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]
5.0L/4R70W/8.8"/5-lug/3" Exhuast

Reply #10
I ran my car 13.40 with 1.90 60ft on a true street tire 255.  Car has stock rear n stock gears. 302 with explorer heads n a E cam an a 850 carb. C4 with a 3500 stall nitrous convertor this was on motor

Reply #11
Quote from: 88turbo;394461
car is stock weight 4500#?, nothing removed.  tires are 245/45/17 street

You plannin' on toting three honeys from the local weight watchers down the track when you run??? That's what it'll take to reach 4500Lb... My Trick Flow headed 5.0 TC doesn't weigh quite 3600Lb and I have every original system in place and operating...

What'll it run?? If you have the stock torque converter and can get traction, maybe 14.3...With a good stall you can knock close to .5 off that... I ran some 14.0 with a stock converter, BBK shorties and mostly stock 5.0 Stang exhaust system... With a full 2.5" off road system, 2600 stall, fresh tune and cool evening it went 13.11@ 105 & would run 13.3 @ 104 all day long at 75*...

Reply #12
is this your T-top?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #13
I'd guess high 15s.

turbo charged 94 Cobra engine/440cc injectors/megasquirt /5 speed swapped (T5)/maxbox upper intake/70mm PP throttle body/AJE coilovers/2003 Mustang control arms/S.T. sway bars/ES rear control arm bushings/11" brake conversion/manual rack conversion/8.8 TC rear with rear discs and a welded diff/3.73 gears/PLX wideband/199mph speedometer/Aeromotive FPR/CNC hydraulic hand brake/cobra R wheels/....ect.