Skip to main content
Topic: Intake Carb combo (Read 3467 times) previous topic - next topic

Intake Carb combo

Well I'm sick of the CFI and I'm going Carbed. I've been looking at a Performer series intake and a Holley or Edelbrock 600 or 650 carb. I'm running a factory '84 Flat Tappet 5.0 with exhaust. I plan on putting different heads on it. All opinions and options I'm open to. Need some help shopping parts. Thanks guys.
"Real cars dont power the front wheels, they lift them"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1984 Mercury Cougar GS 5.0:cougarsmily: BBK Equal Length Shorties, BBK O/R X-Pipe, Magnaflow Magnapacks, Mustang GT Stainless Tailpipes, 18" Magnaflow Rolled Edge Tips. Turbo Coupe Hood, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler. 17"x9" Cobra R's, Falken Ziex 255/50s, and 245/45s.
1984 Ford Thunderbird 3.8L "Drag Queen"
2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Lone Star Edition 5.7L Hemi 400hp, lex DOD14M Magnaflow retro-fit ler kit

Intake Carb combo

Reply #1
Id say go with the 600 unless you also plan on getting a cam. New heads wont do very much unless you get a bigger cam.
1987 turbo coupe 5speed: Boport stage 3 head/2.5 cam , Precision stage 3 50trim .63 turbo, Tial 38mm wastegate, Jangus gutted/ported intake manifolds, 60mm tb, Jangus open dumptube, Jangus 3" elbow, Perrin boost controller,Esslinger adjustable cam pulley, Esslinger small crank pulley, stinger FMI, RFL BOV, Spec stage 3 clutch, B&M short throw, 140 speedo, Walbo 255lph, BBK fpr, 3G alternator, ARP studs.  Be faster... :poke:

Intake Carb combo

Reply #2
I ran a Carter 625 for years on a mild 351W.
1988 T-Bird Sport Coupe--5.0 HO, MAF swap, 1-5/8" shorties, BBK/Flowmaster exhaust, Explorer intake, 70mm Edelbrock TB, T5, B&M short throw, Centerforce clutch and PP, disc brake TC rear w/ 3.55's, TC front brakes, '98 Cobra springs, DIY SFC's, other misc .  14.05 @ 98mph with launching too low and shifting too high.

Intake Carb combo

Reply #3
Rule of thumb 1.6 CFM per HP. This is a basick rule that seems to hold true very nicely. So at 350 ponies or so you need a 600 CFM carb app.
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Intake Carb combo

Reply #4
It really depends on if your going for power or torque, or how much of the two you want. What RPM range are you going to be in?

If youre going for modest numbers in between 300hp/250tq  and staying within the 5500rpm limit that knocks out single plane intakes. Theyre more for the upper rpm rangein the building power aspect.

Look for a nice dual plane intake like a Ebrock performer series, or weiand stealth

The combo Im running is a ebrock performer 289 and a holley 600

Intake Carb combo

Reply #5
I've got a used 600cfm Edelbrock if you haven't yet got your carb...it probably needs a rebuild kit tossed at it, but it's yours shipped for a Benjamin...
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Intake Carb combo

Reply #6
If you're just tired of CFI, you can do what I did for shiznits and giggles before I put the HO in. Pull the CFI unit and all related sensors, pull the dist and install a 500CFM Holley on the stock manifold. Replace the CFI dist with a Dura spark, find the wire that grounds the fuel relay @ the computer ( I think it's brown/blue stripe) and ground it, install a mallory 4309 reg and you're good to go. Ive posted a more in depth description somewhere but don't remember where.....old age I guess.  :crazy:
84 COUGAR/90 HO, 1.7RRs, performer RPM,700DP, equal length shorties, stainless EXH ,T-5,Hurst pro-billet, KC clutch, 8.8/ 4.10s, line-lok, bla ,bla, bla.
71 COMET/289,351w heads, 12.5 TRWs, 750DP, Liberty TL, 9"/6.00s, 11.9x @112 , bla,bla,bla.

Never shoot your mouth off, unless your brain is loaded! ....I may get older, but I'll never grow up!....If you're not laughing, you're not living!  :laughing:

Intake Carb combo

Reply #7
I want to throw a different set of heads on because the '84 5.0L heads have a hole on the back of each with a pipe going to the smog pump. I have taken all but the pipe off. I'd just rather replace the heads and not worry about blocking that pipe. If I can find a nice deal on a cam I would love to put a cam in it. Right now the motor is pushing factory HP numbers which IIRC are around 130 at best. I want it to run smooth and be able to at least accelerate and not bog down under heavy throttle. I know all of the problems with the motor and its all CFI related. I have the money for an intake and carb, and probably a set of heads and a cam. Instead of buying a nice dovetail trailer, I would rather drive it to shows still. These problems have been scaring me into not driving it out of town.

Would a 600 be overkill? or should I put one on now if I do go with a cam and heads? I can always adjust the fuel pressure. I'm not worried about power numbers or the RPM range. This is all about driveability and reliability.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1984 Mercury Cougar GS 5.0:cougarsmily: BBK Equal Length Shorties, BBK O/R X-Pipe, Magnaflow Magnapacks, Mustang GT Stainless Tailpipes, 18" Magnaflow Rolled Edge Tips. Turbo Coupe Hood, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler. 17"x9" Cobra R's, Falken Ziex 255/50s, and 245/45s.
2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Lone Star Edition 5.7L Hemi 400hp, lex DOD14M Magnaflow retro-fit ler kit

Intake Carb combo

Reply #8
I'd stick with a dual plane intake and a 600 holley. Mild mannered and easy to tune. I have to re-jet my carb still its running way to rich. I think Im going to run 62's in it and see how it does.

If you do the cam and heads you will already have the carb you need with a 600. You can always change the jets to get where you need to go.

Intake Carb combo

Reply #9
Quote from: cougrrr302;393808
I want to throw a different set of heads on because the '84 5.0L heads have a hole on the back of each with a pipe going to the smog pump. I have taken all but the pipe off. I'd just rather replace the heads and not worry about blocking that pipe.

That's your thermoactor tube, an easy way to block them is to remove the pipe, cut the ends off that bolt to the heads, flip them around and bolt them back on the heads with a little high temp sealant.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My Bebe! 1980 Thunderbird, 302 & AOD are the only option boxes checked

Intake Carb combo

Reply #10
Quote from: Sinista Chicken;393814
That's your thermoactor tube, an easy way to block them is to remove the pipe, cut the ends off that bolt to the heads, flip them around and bolt them back on the heads with a little high temp sealant.

That's about what I did on my E7's...only I took a cutoff wheel and cut the heads off of a coupla carriage bolts, and stuck those cut off heads inside the thermactor parts, bolted them back on, and then cut the tube off. Leak free, and took me like 10 minutes.

Of course...GT40 +/- P's don't have 'em....hmmm.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Intake Carb combo

Reply #11
Quote from: Sinista Chicken;393814

I would be all for that, but to do that I have to remove the heads. If I'm taking those bad boys out they aren't going back on haha. I had someone offer me a single plane Cobra intake, but he wanted an arm and a leg for it. It was from a Maverick. If it had been the one he pulled from a '68 Cougar I would have bought it. I think a Performer Series intake, a 600 and the necessary linkages should really help that car out alot. The CFI has some fuel leaking issues which floods the motor and there is no way to fix it without tearing it all apart and replacing parts. Plus the tunability of a carb is ideal. I plan on removing all but the necessary wiring. Smog, and CFI will be completely gone.

Beau do you have pics of that carb?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Intake Carb combo

Reply #12
Quote from: cougrrr302;393808
I want to throw a different set of heads on because the '84 5.0L heads have a hole on the back of each with a pipe going to the smog pump. I have taken all but the pipe off. I'd just rather replace the heads and not worry about blocking that pipe. If I can find a nice deal on a cam I would love to put a cam in it. Right now the motor is pushing factory HP numbers which IIRC are around 130 at best. I want it to run smooth and be able to at least accelerate and not bog down under heavy throttle. I know all of the problems with the motor and its all CFI related. I have the money for an intake and carb, and probably a set of heads and a cam. Instead of buying a nice dovetail trailer, I would rather drive it to shows still. These problems have been scaring me into not driving it out of town.

Would a 600 be overkill? or should I put one on now if I do go with a cam and heads? I can always adjust the fuel pressure. I'm not worried about power numbers or the RPM range. This is all about driveability and reliability.
Why not just find a good used HO engine and put a decent carb and manifold on it?
84 COUGAR/90 HO, 1.7RRs, performer RPM,700DP, equal length shorties, stainless EXH ,T-5,Hurst pro-billet, KC clutch, 8.8/ 4.10s, line-lok, bla ,bla, bla.
71 COMET/289,351w heads, 12.5 TRWs, 750DP, Liberty TL, 9"/6.00s, 11.9x @112 , bla,bla,bla.

Never shoot your mouth off, unless your brain is loaded! ....I may get older, but I'll never grow up!....If you're not laughing, you're not living!  :laughing:

Intake Carb combo

Reply #13
Quote from: QUICKSHIFT;393825
Why not just find a good used HO engine and put a decent carb and manifold on it?

I have a buddy with an HO engine and it's mine if I haul it off, but he has to pull it from the Lincoln it's in. He doesnt want to pull it yet because he moves it around still. The intake and carb are all I'm doing right away. I want this thing to be reliable and responsive. I wanted to make sure a 600 wouldnt be overkill until that point. In all honesty I want a 347, which will happen in the future. I take the Cougar to shows, but had to miss out on Father's Day because it over fuels badly enough and the brake booster went out. I didn't trust driving it 45 miles to the show, let alone the same distance back.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Intake Carb combo

Reply #14
if he has the complete lincoln why not do a full efi convert? just a thought.

But the 600 with the right jets wont be overkill. the adaptability of a carb and the price is why I converted.  I do some real big high dollar mods I can step up the jets and be good with the same carb. UNLESS I go way overkill with the motor and have to step up to a double pumper or a 750 of sorts.

And a jet swap is 4 8mm bolts and knock the front bowl off and switch the 2 then throw it back together.