Skip to main content
Topic: Identify this engine!!! (Read 1089 times) previous topic - next topic

Identify this engine!!!

:hick::hick:
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Identify this engine!!!

Reply #1
409???
Love Foxes, Birds or Stangs.

Identify this engine!!!

Reply #2
...or 348?
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Identify this engine!!!

Reply #3
Although 409 was going to be my first choice, but Matt beat me to it.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Identify this engine!!!

Reply #4
Yeah the valve covers gave it away, at least I think.......
Love Foxes, Birds or Stangs.

Identify this engine!!!

Reply #5
yeah its either a 348 or 409

Me and my buddy bought a 348 at an auction. $25 and turned ran the numbers and sold it for 900

Identify this engine!!!

Reply #6
Quote from: MechanicMatt;393683
Yeah the valve covers gave it away

Exactly! Chevy 'W' Block big block 348/409 or it could be the rare 63 only w block 427

on a side note, we should have more of these threads, just for fun...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My Bebe! 1980 Thunderbird, 302 & AOD are the only option boxes checked

Identify this engine!!!

Reply #7
1.4L I4 Chevy Volt engine?

Identify this engine!!!

Reply #8
Sinister you got it  Notice the air cleaner and how it connects to the cowl .And the valve covers do not have the famous 348/409 sticker. Also the color of the valve covers is a dead give away.  This is an original aluminum front end Z11 435 HP engine  in 100% original condition. it has 800 miles on the speedo. It as i am told is the only one left on the planet in this configuration. Just wanted to share it with you guys.  I saw it at a car show in Pennsylvanian. The guy has every 409 & 348 car gm ever built. I mean not every car but every configuration of the engine combo and body style. The guy and his wife love these cars as you cam see.
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

Identify this engine!!!

Reply #9
Yay, I win!!! lol.  That is one rare masterpiece that owner has, and evidently a lot of money for all them w block cars he has.  iirc that engine only came in the 63 z11 Impala right?  they had something like 13.5:1 or so compression and dual quads , also were horribly underrated at 435hp.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Identify this engine!!!

Reply #10
Quote from: beast50;393690
1.4L I4 Chevy Volt engine?
I would so buy a Volt if thats what they have underhood :D
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Identify this engine!!!

Reply #11
Spot on with a stacked head gasket as they came from the factory they were in fact 13.5-1 But with a single embossed gasket they were 13.9. So how did you know it was a Z11. Just curious And i think the HP rating was way under published at 435. Thanks sinister the car was something to see. The owners must have a boat load of money. They had an entire building at the show filled with W MOTORS and cars. Thanks it was fun.

Identify this engine!!!

Reply #12
One of the few engines 'ole Smokey Yunick told GM was a total POS.
88 TC 5speed, 168000+ miles, stock 2.3T long block, ported RFE6 exhaust, Evergreen T3 running 15#'s.
Up next: FMIC, fresh air intake, ported intakes, ported big valve head.

Identify this engine!!!

Reply #13
Quote from: jangus;393728
One of the few engines 'ole Smokey Yunick told GM was a total POS.

Wonder what he would think of those  LT1's with their stupid optispark and water pump placement....
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Identify this engine!!!

Reply #14
Quote from: TOM Renzo;393722
Spot on with a stacked head gasket as they came from the factory they were in fact 13.5-1 But with a single embossed gasket they were 13.9. So how did you know it was a Z11. Just curious And i think the HP rating was way under published at 435. Thanks sinister the car was something to see. The owners must have a boat load of money. They had an entire building at the show filled with W MOTORS and cars. Thanks it was fun.

I remember reading about them, that the z11 Impalas came with the 427, they are legendary cars in their own right.  I sure envy you for getting to witness such a beast in person.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]