Skip to main content
Topic: 1988 Thunderbird from Sweden (Read 45222 times) previous topic - next topic

1988 Thunderbird from Sweden

Reply #60
Yeah it's pretty cool that the cat lets me use both his house to sleep in AND let me use his garage! :)

Reply #61
Quite a lot has happened to the car since I last updated here.
Time to post pics ;)

Borrowing the original injectors from my dads Terminator
Although they were a bit dirty, some cleaning will do it :)

Looks like new!

Injectors and fuel rail with the Aeromotive FPR fitted

Swapping some stuff from old upper intake to the new upper intake

The bolts was abit rusty

That's better ;)

And she's on

Installed the pressure sensor for the fuel pressure gauge

Test fitting some tubes

Then it was time to take down the front end

My fathers home made tool, works great!

Me in the works

And both springs are off! I hate working with the springs of a car... That's scary! Note the secure wire :D We left the tool on there so it would be easier getting it back (HAH! It wasn't easy...) and my fathers Cobra was right next to it so if it decided to break free it would hopefully stay secure to the A-arm

Then we suspended the engine and unbolted the engine mounts

Bolted to the heads

Front end off! After LOTS of swearing about the 4 main bolts for it. Rusted to shiznit.

Hehe, about time to change them ey?

Next to the same bolt but from my fathers Terminator. I ended up "stealing" these from him. Gonna order him 4 new ones

Front end got kicked out of the garage for some pressure washing. In the middle of the winter. :D

Some stuff for the oil return line and also a 90 degrees elbow

Oil pan out and gone through the diesel wash

Looks better than before!

Welded on the mount for oil return line. Note the JB Weld ;) Was some contamination of some sort in the oil pan and it refused to get a good weld.

The inside

Back on the car after som paint. We didn't have any gloss black. All we have in the garage is matte black, my dad and I are obsessed by that stuff :D

Fixed some rust on the frame where the bolts for the K member sits. Was nothing left there! Scary I've actually driven with something that bad.

Count the spiders! How many can you see? :D

Front end back up, time to work on getting the springs back

And they're on! After a whole shaging afternoon! Never ever NEVER doing that again. Doesn't matter how someone pays me, never. Next time I'm getting coil overs for the car. It's not worth the work, doesn't matter how poor you are, buy coilovers if you're doing this! It aint fun.

Lots of wood had to give it's "life" for getting it on. Just a fraction of what was all over the floor when we were done.

Turned my attention to the intake of the supercharger. This hole needed to be cut.
It aint round, I know. But I did work on it a bit after the photo so it's better. Not perfect, but better.

It fits!

Needed an air filter to try on if it fits inside the fender. So my father suggested I took his old air filter from his Cobra.
And it fit really well!

And also he had to show off his new air filter for the cobra... :O

He also helped me TIG weld all of the pressure tubes. I've been practicing it abit and actually wanted to do it myself but I then understood it would take all winter for me to learn how to TIG weld decently. It aint easy.

Grinded welds

Test fit

Doesn't look too bad does it? I'm pleased with this!

And then some plastic pudding on it

Sanding

And primer
Tadaa! Totally seamless :)

Then me and my mate fixed the vacuum hose for the blow off valve. Made a Y-split by the vacuum tree where my boost gauge is connected.

The original hood-holding-thingy would fit over the intercooler so it was modified abit.

Decent welds for being me (MIG welds)

And then another bracket for it

Lastly I changed the background on the work computer. See it everyday, keeps the motivation up ;)

Reply #62
Very cool love the pics

Reply #64
Cheers guys! I'm doing my best :)

Reply #65
Great work dude, and great burnout picture. That's how it should be...I love burnouts.
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #66
I maybe haven't posted the burnout pic here... Here it is then ;)

And also me by the car

Reply #68
Cheers mate!
The photo story aint perfect, I forgot to take pictures of 90% of all the stuff we did. A friend of mine is helping me with the build. He wants to learn building cars and not just general maintenance which he's used to. He's extremely good, has lots of good ideas and such. It's really fun :) He's learning, I get help and I'm trying to get him to buy a Camaro which his family used to have a couple of years ago and if he does, I'll make him and help him build that one :D

Anyways I decided to set the mood abit on the work phone too while I'm at it :D Also set the same background for my private phone ^^ Can't wait until summer!

Tomorrow skiing and sunday I'll be working on the car again :)

Reply #69
You have one huge advantage. You have a big garage next to your house, where you can work. I live in block of flats and having a garage in the second biggest city in our country is too expensive for me. I have my cars at my friend's service shop parking lot. I can work there, but only during working hours, which is a bit difficult for me.

Reply #71
A few things has happened since last time :)

Primer found it's way on the rebuilt hood-locking-thing I still don't know what to call it so I'm gonna call him Toby.

Toby in another angle

Test fitted the tubes between the S/C and IC

Toby on the car

The bracket holding Toby in place

Filling out the welds on the last piece of tubing

Got the air filter and overflow tank. But ½Liter overflow tank was many sizes too small. So I ordered a 1½liter one instead, should arrive mid next week.

And also went out shopping a few things such as washer fluid bottle, etching primer, some tubes for the washer fluid, an awesome horn and some other misc stuff

I love this locking mechanism for the connector on the washer fluid bottle! Genius at work

Then came the circuit diagram. And soon the car ended up in the lake.

But first we gotta grind some stuff! Just to make it look cool

And suddenly a bracker for the washer fluid bottle appears!

Not too bad ey?

Some primer

Had to get the pulley off from the procharger. This was the solution. Worked really well!

Mounted the slot style MAF in the tube. shagy!

My friend also set the fuel pressure on it.
A bit low

That's better to begin with! Gonna do the final adjustments when the engine is running and such.

SC and IC just hanging around

And all of a sudden it's primered!

Looks like plastic :D

The garage got cleaned so the bird went out in the cold.

And we found this, only one person would be so cheap he only replaces one brake pad, my grandfather

Clean garage (in our opinion)! Everyone knows that a garage is a place to work on your cars, not to show them off ;)

And also, a video of the awesome horn :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRgJOyLyXDg&feature=youtu.be

Reply #72
A few things has happened since last time :)

Primer found it's way on the rebuilt hood-locking-thing I still don't know what to call so I'm gonna call him Toby.

Toby in another angle

Test fitted the tubes between the S/C and IC

Toby on the car

The bracket holding Toby in place

Filling out the welds on the last piece of tubing

Got the air filter and overflow tank. But ½Liter overflow tank was many sizes too small. So I ordered a 1½liter one instead, should arrive mid next week.

And also went out shopping a few things such as washer fluid bottle, etching primer, some tubes for the washer fluid, an awesome horn and some other misc stuff

I love this locking mechanism for the connector on the washer fluid bottle! Genius at work

Then came the circuit diagram. And soon the car ended up in the lake.

But first we gotta grind some stuff! Just to make it look cool

And suddenly a bracker for the washer fluid bottle appears!

Not too bad ey?

Some primer

Had to get the pulley off from the procharger. This was the solution. Worked really well!

Mounted the slot style MAF in the tube. shagy!

My friend also set the fuel pressure on it.
A bit low

That's better to begin with! Gonna do the final adjustments when the engine is running and such.

SC and IC just hanging around

And all of a sudden it's primered!

Looks like plastic :D

The garage got cleaned so the bird went out in the cold.

And we found this, only one person would be so cheap he only replaces one brake pad, my grandfather

Clean garage (in our opinion)! Everyone knows that a garage is a place to work on your cars, not to show them off ;)

And also, a video of the awesome horn :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRgJOyLyXDg&feature=youtu.be

Reply #73
Got the stuff painted today.
Beautiful weather, hot in the sun, rock hard frozen ground. Couldn't have been better weather!

All the stuff waiting for paint

Difficult for me to take photos of myself when painting, but it's a bit easier taking photos of my dad while he's spraying his stuff for the Cobra.

And all of a sudden it's all black!

Om nom nom

And the money shot

Let it harden for a couple of days and then it's time to put it together :)

Reply #74
Looks fantastic.  I am hoping to go to England or Poland to work after my year in Abu Dhabi, so maybe we can hook up.  I will be bringing my 88TC with me.