Skip to main content
Topic: Cant get door on?!?!! PLEASE HELP (Read 741 times) previous topic - next topic

Cant get door on?!?!! PLEASE HELP

Im currently in the process of swapping the right passenger door on my 90 Mercury cougar XR7......i have the old door taken off and the new one bolted to the hinges but heres the huge problem......it wont line up. So I loosened the lower hinge bracket that was connected to the frame.....which was easy to get to, but when i started to look for access to the upper bracket to loosen it i cant find any way to get to the nut..(both bolts are headless so i cant loosen it from outside the car)......chiltons manuals dont even show how.  Ive been trying and trying to find a way but im boggled....am i going to have gut my dashboard???? every hole and crevis seems to have sheet metal blocking access to that hinge. Any help on how to reach the back side of that bracket (or some way to loosen it) would be sooooooo helpful.

Re: Cant get door on?!?!! PLEASE HELP

Reply #1
There should be three bolts. The nut type things are on the inside of the car. The two are easy but there is a metal flap that has a rivet in it holding it on. Grind the rivet down and pull the flap off. There's your bolt.....