Skip to main content
Topic: 88 3.8 liter v6 Fox Thunderbird (Read 1599 times) previous topic - next topic

88 3.8 liter v6 Fox Thunderbird

My grandpa currently has an 88 3.8 liter v6 Fox Thunderbird with 73,000 miles on it. I would like to know your thoughts on this car and as much info about it as you could give me. I have heard that the head gaskets on this car are almost guaranteed to go out. Is this true? Are there any problems with this car? I am a poor college student and am currently trying to convince my parents into letting me buy this car. Since I don't have alot of money and attend a college 4 hours from my house, I only want to buy this car if it is going to be safe, reliable and is not going to have alot of problems. I currently have a 85 Toyota Tercel and am tired of putting money into a car that I feel is not worth putting money in. I have probably put $500 or more into my Toyota. Thanks for your time.

Andrew,

Re: 88 3.8 liter v6 Fox Thunderbird

Reply #1
It depends. 73,000 miles sounds good to me. They are fairly safe, minus no airbags. Other then that I would rather be in this then most cars in a rollover or an accident. The head gaskets are almost garenteed to go that is try. Your car will be fairly slow, and make sure that the heater is good. Meaning that the heater code ddosent leak. Both my 1986 cougars have broken down on me, But both have always started (almost just dead battery/ dirty terminals) and always will. My one car has 290,000+ miles on it and the other has 125,000 miles. The 125,000 one only has had the started go out ($10 at pick and pull) started solenoid (another $20 for that) and the battery ($60) and nothing else has broken minus blown tires. Check the alignment and rust. Rust will be your biggest problem if you want it to last forever. I know jcassity has over 300,000 miles on his v-6 with only one rebuild. Mine is origonal on both cars, but they are both alittle tired. This will be a good car. Especially for the price(more likely then not).
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #2
The blown head gasket problem is common in these cars, but if you drive safely (this means no high speeds, no races, no burnouts,etc..) That car will last for very much time. In general these are reliable cars. Pay attention of others comments because their knowledge of these cars are vast. Like haystack says, 73,000 miles is very good. Check for the rust and leaks and of course, do a test drive. The car is not very fast but the torque is enough to haul the car fully loaded.
Some guys can get some info about the OD trans at these cars...

1985 Mercury Cougar V6
1989 F-200 V8
1996 Explorer V6
2001 F-150

Reply #3
Thanks for your info guys. My grandpa's thunderbird is really fast considering I drive a 4 cylinder 85 Toyota Tercel. Don’t the 88 Fox Thunderbirds have a 140 horsepower? My car has only 60 horsepower. My grandpa’s car would be a huge improvement, don’t you agree? :)

Andrew,

Reply #4
Yup it should be EFI and rated at 140 hp. Your lucky it isn't an 87, they were CFI and rated at 120 hp. Also about the head gasket, it varies from car to car. My 87 3.8 has 185,000 miles on it with the original head gasket. If you take care of it these cars are very reliable. I have been driving my Cougar for about a year now and it has not let me down once.

Reply #5
They've got about 140 horsepower, but they weigh 3500 pounds. Even with the V8 they're slow, but they are very reliable, very cheap and simple to repair when they do break, and they are very safe (3500 pounds worth of sheetmetal can be an advantage in an accident). Should you fall in love with it, adequate power is a motor swap away (5.0 Mustang engine).

Even if the head gasket goes, 3.8's are not hard to work on. I replaced the head gasket in my old '91 in my driveway in late December back in '96, and it only took a few hours. A Fox car would likely be even easier - Never did one in a Fox car but even though the MN12 is wider its engine bay seems much smaller.

Given the low mileage, if your grandpa will give you a good price (under $1500 with a good body and interior) I say buy it
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #6
Thanks for all your great info guys. So is it true that this car gets 30 miles to a gallon? How does this car stack up compared to new cars as far as fuel efficiency? Do most new cars have a 22 gallon tank like this car does? A 22 gallon tank seems really big for a v6 car. Maybe one of you guys could shed some light on this for me.

Andrew,

Reply #7
Quote from: Thunderbird_Man
Thanks for all your great info guys. So is it true that this car gets 30 miles to a gallon? How does this car stack up compared to new cars as far as fuel efficiency? Do most new cars have a 22 gallon tank like this car does? A 22 gallon tank seems really big for a v6 car. Maybe one of you guys could shed some light on this for me.

Andrew,

Chances are that you will get about 20 at best.  It's actually less efficient than the v8 version.  Don't buy this car thinking you're getting a fuel efficient car, you're not.  If you drive 55 or so on the highway, you'll probably max out at 25 mpg.  That's the best I've gotten thus far.  The 22 gallon tank is quite large, I'll agree, but it will get you a long ways before you need to fill up.

As for reliability, these cars are not as reliable as newer hondas and various other imports.  That is not neccesarily a bad thing, though.  With little mechanical knowledge, you can fix most everything on this car and get it done dirt cheap.  On something newer, chances are you'd need a part that would cost 3 times as much that you couldn't install yourself.  For the most part, my experience has been good.  Neither of my tbirds has stranded me and both have in excess of 150K miles on them.  What I like about these cars is the fact that they always start.  They may run like  until you figure out what the problem may be, but they'll still run and get you where you need to go.
1987 Thunderbird 3.8. Sold :(

1982 Thunderbird - Goodbye 255, Hello 302!

Reply #8
Quote from: Thunderbird_Man
So is it true that this car gets 30 miles to a gallon?

Yeah, I don't know where you heard that. :confused: I get an average of 23 mpg in a combination of city and highway. If I just drove highway miles then it would probably get about 25 or 26 mpg. If the car is in good tune and you don't drive like a jackass these cars get pretty good gas mileage, considering how old they are.

Reply #9
So is it true that this car gets 30 miles to a gallon?
If I just drove highway miles then it would probably get about 25 or 26 mpg.
I get 30 mpg easy on the highway.
But then, our gallons are bigger than yours.
 :canada:
Death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth.

1988 5.0 Bird, mostly stock, partly not, now gone to T-Bird heaven.
1990 Volvo 740GL. 114 tire-shredding horsies, baby!

Reply #10
it will be a reliable safe car, get *okay* gas milelage, and if it does break be fairly easy to fix your self with basic tools and a bit of time on a weekend. Not a hot rod, or a economy car, but you can put a couple friends in it, fill the huge trunk and still be able to merge on the highway.

follow the advice given, and read up on other posts about the 3.8 here on the board and you should be able to make an informed decision. 73,000 is pretty low for the age of the car and after a good tune up and once over should be a pretty good car IMO.

Reply #11
Quote from: MasterBlaster
I get 30 mpg easy on the highway.
But then, our gallons are bigger than yours.
 :canada:

WTF?  A gallon is a gallon.  Don't you use liters up there?
1987 Thunderbird 3.8. Sold :(

1982 Thunderbird - Goodbye 255, Hello 302!

Reply #12
WTF? A gallon is a gallon.
Imperial gallon - 4.546 litres.
U.S. liquid gallon - 3.785 litres.
U.S. dry gallon - 4.404 litres.
Don't you use liters up there?
Fine. I get 9.41 L/100 km.  :D
Death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth.

1988 5.0 Bird, mostly stock, partly not, now gone to T-Bird heaven.
1990 Volvo 740GL. 114 tire-shredding horsies, baby!

Reply #13
I bought a 1986 cougar with 65,000. Problems I've come across are more electrical. The TFI will likely fail and should be replaced ahead of time. I was able to replace TFI without having to move distributor.