Skip to main content
Topic: Rubbin' my 'bird (Read 2367 times) previous topic - next topic

Rubbin' my 'bird

Since the ol'88 Sport has been running so well post HO conversion I figured it was time to doll it up a bit.  Tuesday AM I went to the garage and spent a few hours with the Dewalt buffer set on 1K RPMs, a 3M foam pad and some 3M Extra Cut compound.  I taped off all the trim and glass to minimize clean up and went at it.  After that I gave it a good rub down with Meguiar's Cleaner Wax.

When I was in mid-waxing, the wife called and asked what I was up to....told her I was "rubbing my bird".....she said "huh???".  :hick:

Now I can not tell you the last time it was ever buffed and waxed.  I've had it for three or four years and I've never done it, but it's also never set a night outside since I've had it.  The Extra Cut cleaned up almost all of the acid rain marks and fine scratches in the paint....it really brightened it up also, or at least as bright as you can make grey.  In a few months I may hit it again with some finer compund but this seems to have done the job well. 

Will post up some polished pics later.....getting it ready for some the drag strip today!
1988 T-Bird Sport Coupe--5.0 HO, MAF swap, 1-5/8" shorties, BBK/Flowmaster exhaust, Explorer intake, 70mm Edelbrock TB, T5, B&M short throw, Centerforce clutch and PP, disc brake TC rear w/ 3.55's, TC front brakes, '98 Cobra springs, DIY SFC's, other misc .  14.05 @ 98mph with launching too low and shifting too high.

Rubbin' my 'bird

Reply #1
I cant wait to see what happened after you rubbed your bird all day.
Mike

Rubbin' my 'bird

Reply #2
Quote from: mcb82gt;392286
I cant wait to see what happened after you rubbed your bird all day.

I had to take a nap!
1988 T-Bird Sport Coupe--5.0 HO, MAF swap, 1-5/8" shorties, BBK/Flowmaster exhaust, Explorer intake, 70mm Edelbrock TB, T5, B&M short throw, Centerforce clutch and PP, disc brake TC rear w/ 3.55's, TC front brakes, '98 Cobra springs, DIY SFC's, other misc .  14.05 @ 98mph with launching too low and shifting too high.

Rubbin' my 'bird

Reply #3
Is that anything like fluffing your garfield? Can't wait to see pics of the car.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Rubbin' my 'bird

Reply #4
Going to PRP? I'm hoping to go to the nostaligia races later this year. I think next weekend is the flashlight drags at the Waynesburg airport. I'm hoping to go watch and take some video.

Rubbin' my 'bird

Reply #5
Quote from: 1Bad88tbird;392314
Going to PRP?

Yep...got rained out last week.  Going to have my 26x10.50 ET Streets bolted on tonight!

Rubbin' my 'bird

Reply #7
Here's the link.

http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?33963-Back-from-the-track

Rubbin' my 'bird

Reply #8
Pics dadnabit!
Mike

Rubbin' my 'bird

Reply #9
Will try today....it's dirty from going to the track last night.

Rubbin' my 'bird

Reply #10
Funny, I did the same exact thing to my car last week. I used turtle wax rubbing compound with a wool buffing pad on a craftsman sander/buffer. I ran out of rubbing compound, my paint is baaaaad. It has no clearcoat on the roof, trunk, and the entire right side of the car. I was able to get a nice shine though, gotta spend some more time on it.
2002 Honda Civic EX

1984 Ford Thunderbird Elan
5.0 CFI, T5, Dual Exhaust