Skip to main content
Topic: Smog pump removal (Read 4054 times) previous topic - next topic

Smog pump removal

I have an '87 3.8.  The smog pump is noisy, the air tube rusted off from the cat fitting a few years ago, and I don't have to worry about emissions testing.

I read an old posting that contains instructions for smog pump removal written by jcassity, and think I might want to just remove all of the extra 'stuff' since it's really not working. 

My main concern is that my car might decide to run like  after I've removed everything.  Has anybody else removed the parts, then ended up wishing they had left it alone because of the problems it caused?

Thanks

Smog pump removal

Reply #1
I bypassed my smog pump with a shorter belt for 2 years, even passed emissions like that till they noticed it didn't spin.

The smog tubes on the back of the head need to be crimped or blocked off. Other then that, cap the vacuum lines, pull the pump, call it a day.

It doesn't hurt anything being there though. You can get them cheap at a junkyard, and they don't really cost any power at wot. Some people buy an eliminator, but at wot, the pump just freewheels anyways.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Smog pump removal

Reply #2
Oops, just realixzed you have a 3.8. I think you can just loose the belt on those. I can't remember what I did on my 87 3.8.
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.

Smog pump removal

Reply #3
My 5.0 car, no problems.
Mike

Smog pump removal

Reply #5
Wow I'm surprised it made a noticeable difference. I think I'll delete mine now that I dont have to go through emissions anymore.

turbo charged 94 Cobra engine/440cc injectors/megasquirt /5 speed swapped (T5)/maxbox upper intake/70mm PP throttle body/AJE coilovers/2003 Mustang control arms/S.T. sway bars/ES rear control arm bushings/11" brake conversion/manual rack conversion/8.8 TC rear with rear discs and a welded diff/3.73 gears/PLX wideband/199mph speedometer/Aeromotive FPR/CNC hydraulic hand brake/cobra R wheels/....ect.

Smog pump removal

Reply #6
I couldn't tell any differance. Getting rid of the silencer seemed to help more, although that might just have been how much louder the engine got playing with my mind.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

Smog pump removal

Reply #7
I removed all that stuff on my 80, and it made the engine much peppier.  may be more noticeable on my carbed 302 with inefficient emissions equipment than on a newer fuelie 5.0, just my $.02
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My Bebe! 1980 Thunderbird, 302 & AOD are the only option boxes checked

Smog pump removal

Reply #9
Mine was making the belt chirp and the box of rocks sound. I ran it temporary and noticed some difference after swapping a "new" junkyard smog pump on. I figure it was the bad bearings and drag on the belt though.

On my old 86, I popped a belt on wot going around a corner. I could tell the secnd the belt let go, because it peeed out hard, and reved a bit quicker. As soon as I saw all the lights on the dash light up, I knew what had happened. I was able to coast it into a checker (now o'rileys) before it overheated, and managed to swap a new belt tensioner pulley on, borrowing some hand tools.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

Smog pump removal

Reply #10
just follow the diy link instructions,,,,,,,,,
you can leave the system **whole system** in place for a "visual" inspection that it is there just to cover your butt.

with belt on, lossen the three 10mm bolts.
loosen tensioner (i hate the 87 & down tentioner)
remove belt
remove smog pully
pry off the very next thing behind the smog pully which is a plastic disk that looks like an impeller / fan thingy
Install a new belt that fits, sort belt
at first your new belt "may" barely by a 1/32'' touch the face of the smog pump,, start car and it will give your belt a small hair cut

delete all the vac lines black, tan, by sparing them back or leave them in place.
you can delete them and the plumbing and cap off the vac lines or simply delete all the vac operated solenoids behind the coolant fill tank.

Smog pump removal

Reply #11
Thanks for all the info.  Sounds like a good way to spend a Saturday.