Skip to main content
Topic: Headlight repair/replacement (Read 4645 times) previous topic - next topic

Headlight repair/replacement

So...its really dang hard finding a pair of headlights for an 87/88 tbird (obviously)...the reflective paint on mine is worn pretty bad. Is there a legit way to get this repainted specially? Something like that, just to get them shiny again. Bulbs are fine, lenses are already cleaned..I'm talking about the housing. I've heard some say it can't be done and others say there is a method that has been done by a few folks..or is my best bet on HID's? I'd like to see at night.
1987 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe ~ STOCK

Reply #1
Quote from: BlueBird1987;392152
So...its really dang hard finding a pair of headlights for an 87/88 tbird (obviously)...the reflective paint on mine is worn pretty bad. Is there a legit way to get this repainted specially? Something like that, just to get them shiny again. Bulbs are fine, lenses are already cleaned..I'm talking about the housing. I've heard some say it can't be done and others say there is a method that has been done by a few folks..or is my best bet on HID's? I'd like to see at night.

I have tried repainting the inside of the housing with a reflective/chrome type of paint, while it looked better it didn't help the performance much. You might be able to send them to a chrome shop to have them chrome plated but I have no idea if it would have the same reflective quality the original aluminum vapor had.

Putting HIDs into a headlight housing designed for halogens has several drawbacks. The bulbs have very different lighting patterns and will cause a great deal of glare thrown into the eyes of oncoming traffic because our OEM housing wasn't designed for HIDs. The housing just isn't capable of controlling the light produced by the HIDs.

The best solution I have seen for our headlights are installing aftermarket projectors that were designed to control the light pattern and put it onto the highway where you need it. I used these and they are amazing. http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=3181

Here is the finished project.

Stock low beams.

Projector low beams.

Here is the thread to the build.
http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?33121-%28New-Goodies%29Need-Your-Opinion-on-Headlight-Color!%28Lots-of-Pics%29

Hope some of this helps!
...and there was light!

Reply #2
Chrometech USA. They can chrome plastic, and have done some great work for me.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #3
How in the heck do the cops not pull you over for that?  That is an insane amount of light, directed or not.
Mike

Reply #4
Quote from: mcb82gt;392295
How in the heck do the cops not pull you over for that?  That is an insane amount of light, directed or not.

Why would they pull me over?  It just looks insane because the output from the stock car is so poor.  These are the same  type of lights that come in many of the  new upper end cars. The light is very controlled so if you are above the cut off they are no brighter on the eyes than a marker light. If you look at the picture you can see the cut off on the doors on the building and you can see it is well below the mirrors and windshields of the surrounding cars.
...and there was light!

Reply #5
Here's how it usually works: If you don't blind the officer, he either doesn't know you from any car that CAME with bi-xenon lights, OR he doesn't care.  I did a really clean retro for a county deputy 3 months ago on his 2004 Explorer, he loves it.  I was apprehensive at first, but he was cool.  What I have told you is what he told me.
I did a quickie retro with halogen projectors in my Bird with parts I had laying around, but I'm still working on my final goal of LED projectors, and they will be nicer than what I'm running now.

Reply #6
I would be afraid that late at night when the cops are just looking for someone to mess with, and I had 3 beers....etc. 

Who needs the aggrevation, not me.

I will stick with my NOS headlights and relays in the wiring.  Good enough for me.
Mike

Reply #7
I heard theres some reflective foil type thing that you can get from craft stores, not sure how well it will hold up but ive seen some and it looks like chrome.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #8
Quote from: T-BirdX3;392198
I have tried repainting the inside of the housing with a reflective/chrome type of paint, while it looked better it didn't help the performance much. You might be able to send them to a chrome shop to have them chrome plated but I have no idea if it would have the same reflective quality the original aluminum vapor had.

Putting HIDs into a headlight housing designed for halogens has several drawbacks. The bulbs have very different lighting patterns and will cause a great deal of glare thrown into the eyes of oncoming traffic because our OEM housing wasn't designed for HIDs. The housing just isn't capable of controlling the light produced by the HIDs.

The best solution I have seen for our headlights are installing aftermarket projectors that were designed to control the light pattern and put it onto the highway where you need it. I used these and they are amazing. http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=3181

Here is the thread to the build.
http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?33121-%28New-Goodies%29Need-Your-Opinion-on-Headlight-Color!%28Lots-of-Pics%29

Hope some of this helps!

Well if I'm tearing apart my housings I'll go with the projectors! Hardly anyone here does the projectors, so if I do that I'm ahead of everyone else already! Dang! :) how much did the projectors n stuff cost?

Reply #9
woah your thunderbird is blue too!!! mine too!! Late night comments makes me overly excited about this!!!

Reply #10
Also, which projector kit did you buy?

Reply #11
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=227

This is the kit I ordered. You will also need to make some clear lenses to replace the factory lenses. The factory lenses have light diffusers in them,  the diffusers will not allow your projectors to perform properly or safely.
...and there was light!

Reply #12
The alternative to making lenses is grinding the diffusions out of your old ones, and polishing them til they're clear.  That's how I did mine.  X3's method does produce a better finished product though, and it might be less work.

Reply #13
those are awesome!

Reply #14
Quote from: T-BirdX3;392540
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=227

This is the kit I ordered. You will also need to make some clear lenses to replace the factory lenses. The factory lenses have light diffusers in them,  the diffusers will not allow your projectors to perform properly or safely.

That makes complete sense and I thought of that after I said that..okay well I have an extra set kicking around here! I'm just missing one of those clips on the back that adjusts it so..maybe I'd have to buy a new set or something cuz it was hard to take the clip off and put it on the one I'm using now...how would I make a new lens?