Skip to main content
Topic: Lowering and ride quality...PICS ADDED 6/19/12 (Read 3149 times) previous topic - next topic

Lowering and ride quality...PICS ADDED 6/19/12

Been running the 'bird for about a week now and am satisfied with everything....power, ride, handling, etc.  But now I'm not sure I want to lower it.  I've heard horror stories about the ride quality of lowered cars.  Now not everything I have heard was bad but I'm really liking what I have now.....but for looks, a 1.5" drop would be good.

At this point I'm content to get the A/C fixed and a set of 17" wheels and wider rear tires.

So,how about some input from guysrunning lowered cars.
1988 T-Bird Sport Coupe--5.0 HO, MAF swap, 1-5/8" shorties, BBK/Flowmaster exhaust, Explorer intake, 70mm Edelbrock TB, T5, B&M short throw, Centerforce clutch and PP, disc brake TC rear w/ 3.55's, TC front brakes, '98 Cobra springs, DIY SFC's, other misc .  14.05 @ 98mph with launching too low and shifting too high.

Reply #1
I put SN-95 Mustang springs on mine, then got a front end alignment. The car still has a great ride (almost like stock), but is about 1.5 inches lower all around. It's not a stiff ride at all.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #2
Before................

After..........She was dirty, but you get the point........

'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #3
Are the '98 mustang's an SN-95?  That's the springs I have for mine.
1988 T-Bird Sport Coupe--5.0 HO, MAF swap, 1-5/8" shorties, BBK/Flowmaster exhaust, Explorer intake, 70mm Edelbrock TB, T5, B&M short throw, Centerforce clutch and PP, disc brake TC rear w/ 3.55's, TC front brakes, '98 Cobra springs, DIY SFC's, other misc .  14.05 @ 98mph with launching too low and shifting too high.

Reply #4
Yes they are. My springs came from a '99 V-6 car. They are great.

Reply #5
I've got '97 springs in mine, love them. It's dropped around an inch, and the ride is firm, but not harsh. I think during this coming winter I'm going to pull everything off for blasting and a repaint, and possibly make the swap to a tube k and CHE adjustable lowers.

On the other hand, I need to plan my 306 build...that's probably where my money will go for awhile.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #6
Beau, you're going to keep buying parts, and never be able to enjoy the car.

Reply #7
It's a major thorn in my side. lol
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #8
I don't like to lower my cars, but Vinnie sure needed it.

Reply #9
Yep, she sat pretty high.

Reply #10
Quote from: vinnietbird;392082
Yep, she sat pretty high.

Did you have a jack under that,that was high.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #11
Nope, that was everyday driving on the stock springs. I actually never paid any attention until somebody hear asked about the 4x4 look.

Reply #12
Rear springs in............the drop using 1998 Cobra springs is EXACTLY 1.5".  Going to tear into the fronts later this evening...hope to get one side done.

Reply #13
Nice! pics, if you don't mind..? :)
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #14
No pics yet.  Went out to the garage earlier to close it up, got sidetracked and ended up putting in the front springs.  Netted 3/4" drop in the front.  It had a slight rake to the factory stance so it's pretty well level now.  But I need to tighten up the front CA's and sway bar before I move it outside for a complete evaluation.