Skip to main content
Topic: finally got my A/C working!! (Read 2121 times) previous topic - next topic

finally got my A/C working!!

and for the next week its only going to be in the 50-60's      :punchballs:
-pete
july/88 turbo coupe auto

Reply #1
LOL I'm in the same boat but it's a good feeling to know it's fixed and you have a whole summer ahead of you to use it. Congrats!

Reply #2
lucky. It's been in the 90's all week and I don't mean fun 90's, I mean rain forest humid 90's.:rolleyes:
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #3
Smart move !!!!! Most end up just removing the system, like I myself did. Eventually, I had a moment of clarity, and realized, that unless it's a dedicated race car, the weight savings aren't that huge, and the comfort it provides is more than worth the effort to make the A/C system functional. I re-installed everything, and never looked back.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #4
Quote from: vinnietbird;391369
Smart move !!!!! Most end up just removing the system, like I myself did. Eventually, I had a moment of clarity, and realized, that unless it's a dedicated race car, the weight savings aren't that huge, and the comfort it provides is more than worth the effort to make the A/C system functional. I re-installed everything, and never looked back.

+1
Why drive around when it's 90* dying because you don't have A/C. It costs what, maybe .1 second in the quarter?
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #5
I kept my A/C w/ the HO/T5 swap.  Just need to get it checked out and serviced....unless you fellas have a good DIY method of servicing it.
1988 T-Bird Sport Coupe--5.0 HO, MAF swap, 1-5/8" shorties, BBK/Flowmaster exhaust, Explorer intake, 70mm Edelbrock TB, T5, B&M short throw, Centerforce clutch and PP, disc brake TC rear w/ 3.55's, TC front brakes, '98 Cobra springs, DIY SFC's, other misc .  14.05 @ 98mph with launching too low and shifting too high.

Reply #6
Quote from: sarjxxx;391365
lucky. It's been in the 90's all week and I don't mean fun 90's, I mean rain forest humid 90's.:rolleyes:

Sounds like a typical summer in North Dakota, humidity matches the temp.  At least you don't have to start you car when its -40 in the winter, lol
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My Bebe! 1980 Thunderbird, 302 & AOD are the only option boxes checked

Reply #7
Our temps spiked at ALMOST 120 last summer. A/C is a must.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #8
I don't know how it even does you any good in that heat Vin. My truck takes at least 20 mins to cool down even in 90* weather on max. I find it easier to stay cool in that extreme heat by lowering the windows and saving AC for when I'm in a parking lot or in the rain...
--Steve
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #9
It does take a while to cool the car down. I gotta get my windows tinted soon. Every little bit helps.

Reply #10
I set a thermometer on my dash in my old red bird to see how hot the inside of the car gets in the summer, it exploded. Literally. I agree tinting should do some good.
--Steve
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #11
its hotter outside now, i can enjoy it now. all that was wrong were the two orings at the compressor. i had to do the retrofit r134a kit, but that was no big deal. stuck a thermometer in the vent and it got down to 44 degrees. good enough!
-pete
july/88 turbo coupe auto

Reply #12
Nice!
--Steve
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #13
really put it to the test today, about 92  degrees outside.        its still working well.
-pete
july/88 turbo coupe auto

Reply #14
Quote from: ramair351;391517
its hotter outside now, i can enjoy it now. all that was wrong were the two orings at the compressor. i had to do the retrofit r134a kit, but that was no big deal. stuck a thermometer in the vent and it got down to 44 degrees. good enough!
Good to hear.  I'm doing the R134a retrofit kit too, after I reinstall the acspoogeulator and hose.