Skip to main content
Topic: '86 Cougar - Soft Top (Read 3022 times) previous topic - next topic

'86 Cougar - Soft Top

Hey Guys, not sure if this is the right place to post this or not. If it's not, I apologize, I tried looking around.

I've got an '86 Convertible Cougar. I'm going to be going off to college in three months, and it's not really worth it for me to have a car in the middle of a big city. I was wondering if there was any worth to my car, or what it might be?

I just replaced the alternator, starter, and heater core. For the most part it is in good running condition. Cosmetically, it needs some help. The top does not move automatically, nor does the rear windows.

Any info you guys can offer would be great, thanks!

'86 Cougar - Soft Top

Reply #1
is it a 5.0 or 3.8?
it looks like its in pretty good shape

'86 Cougar - Soft Top

Reply #2
unless its had a conversion, and I doubt it has, its almost definitely a 3.8 car.
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

'86 Cougar - Soft Top

Reply #3
Car is worthless, you should give it to me...  I mean so worthless that you should even pay the shipping to get it to me.... lol. Anyways if you find the right buyer you should be able to get a decent asking price as it is a cougar vert.

'86 Cougar - Soft Top

Reply #4
Might want to consider PM'ing EricCoolCats as he is basically the resident Cougar expert and doesn't live too far from you. Also putting it up in the For Sale section of this forum as a feeler might help too. But I would suggest changing the title to Convertible rather than soft top because most will take that to mean its one with a landau roof and I speak for almost everyone when I say we all hate those.
--Steve
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

'86 Cougar - Soft Top

Reply #5
i had a vert with the top problem check behind the battery for a wire harness mine had a loose wire

'86 Cougar - Soft Top

Reply #6
There are a few things that can cause the top to not work.

First of all...if you have the car running (or the key in ACC), does the top motor make a sound when you hit the top switch?

If NO:
- Check the connection of the pink wire to the starter solenoid.
- Make sure that the yellow Scotch-Lok connector is intact and not corroded.
- It's possible that you have a bad top switch (which is really a modified power seat switch with the middle tracer removed).

If YES:
- Might be low on hydraulic fluid.
- Might have a leak in the fluid.
- Might have a bad motor.

The rear windows could have bad limiter switches or the motors themselves could be bad.
I have no idea where to get a new limiter switch. But the motors are standard GM.

In any case, it is probably a good idea to have an auto upholstery shop check out the car.

'86 Cougar - Soft Top

Reply #7
Quote from: EricCoolCats;391168
But the motors are standard GM.

Wow, so they used Chrysler tops, GM window motors, who else did they rig into those things?
--Steve
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

'86 Cougar - Soft Top

Reply #9
lI did find a line on limit switches as a replacement, I will have to find the place.
 I have 1 of mine jumpered with an alligator clip to get it to work. 1 loose wire in that 3 way switch setup, and the windows won't work.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

'86 Cougar - Soft Top

Reply #10
Quote from: EricCoolCats;391199
No Chrysler parts...all GM.

....hmmm I could have swore I read on your site that they used Chrysler LeBaron tops for them.
--Steve
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

'86 Cougar - Soft Top

Reply #11
I wasn't sure what was used until 2004. It looked like a LeBaron top but turns out it was a Riviera/Toronado/Eldorado top.

The nice thing is, with all GM parts used on the conversion, it's easy to get those parts.
Imagine calling a dealership parts department, giving them a part number, and not only can they get it, it may even be in stock!

Honestly, it's true!

'86 Cougar - Soft Top

Reply #12
well that is a treat. Getting parts for one of the most rare versions of a car that's already hard to get parts for is easier than the regular version? lol You know what's funny is I'm only a half hour from Gainesville. I might have to see if Coaches ulimited or whoever is still in business and if they can do my car :rollin:
--Steve
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

'86 Cougar - Soft Top

Reply #13
Quote from: 88turbo;391102
Car is worthless, you should give it to me...  I mean so worthless that you should even pay the shipping to get it to me.... lol. Anyways if you find the right buyer you should be able to get a decent asking price as it is a cougar vert.

So... what is a decent asking price?

And thanks for the tips on the windows/top. I have been working on it slowly. This whole "graduating" thing is a pain.

'86 Cougar - Soft Top

Reply #14
Quote from: kevin86;391229
So... what is a decent asking price?

And thanks for the tips on the windows/top. I have been working on it slowly. This whole "graduating" thing is a pain.

I was mostly just giving you a hard time, Eric would probably be the one you need to ask.