Skip to main content
Topic: Is it compatible? (Read 4388 times) previous topic - next topic

Is it compatible?

Hello all,

Fairly new to forums and TBird/Cougar cars in general..I have a 1988 T-Bird 5.0 lx..I just picked up a GT40 lower and upper intake manifold..The question i have is ;;Is it a direct fit to my stock engine..? And also looking forward to a GT40p head..Is that also a direct fit on my engine/car..I do know i have to upgrade injectors and ecu..But  other than that..Will the parts be a direct fit ? Please help?

Is it compatible?

Reply #1
you will need headers for P-heads.... they are made so you can get to the plugs.

Welcome
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Is it compatible?

Reply #2
You can use the intakes and heads, but if you plan to use anything other than a stock HO cam, you'll need to either have your pistons flycut, or snag a good set of pistons from an '87 up HO engine.

And don't change the eec and injectors until you have an HO cam, or you'll be pig rich and have poor idle and drivability.

Here's the formula: HO cam, 5.0HO eec, and 19 pound injectors.
Now of course, if you run either speed density or mass air, you'll need the proper EEC for whichever setup, but other than that, you need to have the proper combo of injector, cam, and eec.

And keep in mind that the SO pistons will work safely work with an HO cam, but not one with much more lift than that. Also be cautious about your rockers too, some of the higher end units will also put the valves really close to the pistons...

I've got a Stang 5.0, with a speed density DA1 eec, 19 pounders, and HO cam, runs well enough, but I'm planning on GT40P heads, Explorer upper/lower, and a TFS stage 1 cam with 24# injectors this coming winter...should be a decent performer for junkyard parts :)

And as Jerry said, the P specific headers are nice.... BBK 1515 are some decent ones.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Is it compatible?

Reply #3
Quote from: ThunderbirdSport302;390855
You can use the intakes and heads, but if you plan to use anything other than a stock HO cam, you'll need to either have your pistons flycut, or snag a good set of pistons from an '87 up HO engine.

And don't change the eec and injectors until you have an HO cam, or you'll be pig rich and have poor idle and drivability.

Here's the formula: HO cam, 5.0HO eec, and 19 pound injectors.
Now of course, if you run either speed density or mass air, you'll need the proper EEC for whichever setup, but other than that, you need to have the proper combo of injector, cam, and eec.

And keep in mind that the SO pistons will work safely work with an HO cam, but not one with much more lift than that. Also be cautious about your rockers too, some of the higher end units will also put the valves really close to the pistons...

I've got a Stang 5.0, with a speed density DA1 eec, 19 pounders, and HO cam, runs well enough, but I'm planning on GT40P heads, Explorer upper/lower, and a TFS stage 1 cam with 24# injectors this coming winter...should be a decent performer for junkyard parts :)

And as Jerry said, the P specific headers are nice.... BBK 1515 are some decent ones.

Awesome...Thankyou very much..As for my GT40 manifold..Can i bolt it on now..without the injectors and ecu/cam etc..?

Is it compatible?

Reply #4
Yeah, just use your 14#'ers till you make the EEC/cam swap.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Is it compatible?

Reply #5
I'd be worried about the 1.84 valve from the GT40Pshiznitting the stock T-bird pistons. I think someone here checked and found that the won't work without fly cutting the pistons.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Is it compatible?

Reply #6
Quote from: thunderjet302;390864
I'd be worried about the 1.84 valve from the GT40Pshiznitting the stock T-bird pistons. I think someone here checked and found that the won't work without fly cutting the pistons.

hMM...So maybe im better off gettin the E7 heads? ..To take pistons out..Will i need to take whole engine out of bay? Also is there any other heads that will work with my stock pistons..I heard trickflow had some..But do you know what kind..Or model aftermarket heads will work with my stock pistons..Last question..On summitracing.com they offer these heads for my 88Tbird
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FMS-M-6049-X307/      http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FMS-M-6049-Z304D/         

Does that mean that they will be a direct fit for my 302 with stock block/pistons???

Is it compatible?

Reply #7
Probably better err on the side of caution, and have a set of HO pistons put in. At this point in time, you can find cheap HO blocks nearly anywhere. I picked up one that needs rebuilt for 50 bucks. It's going to be the basis for my GT40P engine buildup.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Is it compatible?

Reply #8
Quote from: ThunderbirdSport302;390867
Probably better err on the side of caution, and have a set of HO pistons put in. At this point in time, you can find cheap HO blocks nearly anywhere. I picked up one that needs rebuilt for 50 bucks. It's going to be the basis for my GT40P engine buildup.

Cool thanx for all the help Brother..I found a very good condition Ford Explorer Engine complete with everything..for 7to800 dollars..I think i just might go that route..But really wanted to start out using my block..As i bought my T-bird with 55k original miles..And am not quite ready to go all out..Question i have is does engine need to come out to put new pistons inn? And what exactly is fly cut?

Is it compatible?

Reply #9
Even E-7 heads are a step up, and can be found dirt cheap. Look for any 5.0 equipped F-150 Ford pickup (fuel injected). Same heads.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Is it compatible?

Reply #10
I swapped out the whole ball of lead for a 96 explorer engine.  It had everything I needed except an HO cam, but I had one already.  I specify 96 because midway through 97 they were changed for external EGR. In 96, however, the GT40 intake had internal EGR, just the same as the SLO and HO engines.  The 96 and early 97 Exploders also have NON-P gt40 heads, which means standard headers and larger exhaust valves.  You would have to reuse your front cover, water pump and all you your accessories and brackets, swap the oil pump pickup and oil pan and also use your fuel rails and the coolant manifold as well.  The Explorer comes with newer style "skinny" injectors, but they still have the same EEC IV connectors and are 19#.  Then you just need an HO pcm.  I have a spare, and I'm sure a lot of the other guys have spares sitting around. The swap is worth all the trouble, even the block is better.  And that is a recipe for 265 HP give or take, add a headers and a good 2.5 inch h-pipe and cat-back, and you keep going up.

Is it compatible?

Reply #11
Quote from: TheFoeYouKnow;390879
worth all the trouble, even the block is better.

Really?
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Is it compatible?

Reply #12
Yes.  The explorer uses the HO block, and the HO block has different cylinder walls, thicker main webs, and stronger reinforcement in the valley.  You'll notice if you ask people who've dealt a lot with both, that the HO's have fewer and less severe oil leaks, as well as less tendency to burn oil.  All of this of course depends on like treatment and age.  My SLO burnt as much oil as it leaked, and I know this to be common.  My HO was way better with leaks, and didn't burn ANY oil, but it was beat and the bottom was burned up.

Is it compatible?

Reply #13
Hmmm...
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Is it compatible?

Reply #14
The only really hard part was that the explorer's oil cooler was hard to adapt to the long nose water pump and front cover. I would definitely have wanted to use all the explorer's accessories if they had come on the motor. It would have made keeping the oil cooler easier.