Skip to main content
Topic: Fuse Links (Read 2350 times) previous topic - next topic

Fuse Links

This  DODGE was almost HISTORY. The alternator shorted out and burned the wiring harness all the way back to the DASH. I made a new harness.  This car was 100% restored by us but the owner did the wiring. This is a prime example of fusing and fuse links. When building a car always remember to include FUSE LINKS on the alt and main junction feeds. The rule of thumb is 2 wire sizes lower than the wire gauge you are protecting. Example a #10 Should be protected with a #14 LINK.

Notice the AMP gauge wiring. It lit up like a Christmas Tree and burned the underhood and dash wiring extensively.

I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Fuse Links

Reply #1
I can't agree more.  I had a ground issue a while back after an exhaust fabricator worked on my car.  Luckily my fusible link did it's job.  Burned out and saved the car.  Found the ground that had been left disconnected and put it back.  Put in a new link and was back in business.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Fuse Links

Reply #2
Yikes! that looks like a lot of work for something so easily and cheaply preventable.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My Bebe! 1980 Thunderbird, 302 & AOD are the only option boxes checked

Fuse Links

Reply #3
You got it GUYS!!! A simple Fuse link would have prevented this. We always use Maxi Fuses or links. Totally a must to protect your pride and JOY. Thanks Tom
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

Fuse Links

Reply #4
Quote from: V8Demon;390492
I can't agree more.  I had a ground issue a while back after an exhaust fabricator worked on my car.  Luckily my fusible link did it's job.  Burned out and saved the car.  Found the ground that had been left disconnected and put it back.  Put in a new link and was back in business.

What is the proper way to prevent damage from the welding??
Mike

Fuse Links

Reply #5
Quote from: mcb82gt;390541
What is the proper way to prevent damage from the welding??

In the shop we disconnect the battery before any welding. Some shops we talked to dont do this and they say it is a waste of time. But i personally am not going to take the chance. We always disconnect the battery before welding on a CAR.

Fuse Links

Reply #6
It's better to disconnect the ground on the battery than not. Why take a chance for something so simple to do.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Fuse Links

Reply #7
Quote from: Kitz Kat;390802
It's better to disconnect the ground on the battery than not. Why take a chance for something so simple to do.

Exactly . That is the safe way to do it. Shops complain that they have to reset things in the car after disconnecting the battery. But i would rather be safe than sorry.

Fuse Links

Reply #8
I heard one story from one local VW dealer shop. Someone forgot to disconnect the battery and they let the key in ON or ACC position (nobody knows why) and when they started with welding, all air bags blowed off. Unfortunatelly, the car had 8 or 10 air bags, so they were screwed :-D
In our cars the welding shouldn't do any problem, but new cars don't like it...

Fuse Links

Reply #9
Having had 2 Fords in flames, I disconnect the POS cable for anything more than oil changes and fuel fillups.

Seems like it's worked since then, so I reckon I'll keep to it. :)
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Fuse Links

Reply #10
negative pole is better in cars with negative ground. you cannot short the battery when you are (dis)connecting the cable with a wrench and you accidentally hit the grounded body part.

Fuse Links

Reply #11
I only hate disconnecting my battery cables cause then I have to reset all my radio presets! :hick:
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Fuse Links

Reply #12
Actually i went to a seminar about AIR BAG deployment. They warned us about the sequence of battery disconnecting. We saw videos ETC. They claim and i am not going to dispute them. Proper procedure is when disconnecting battery cables is neg first. Connecting battery is negative last. They claim if not dun this way you can deploy an air bag. They showed us video of deployment if not dun correctly.

Fuse Links

Reply #14
Quote from: Trinom;391397
Is it even possible to deploy air bags without key in the ignition???

100% on this the system has a power supply that has app 10 minutes or so of power with the key off. We were also warned about that. Thanks for filling this in. You are spot on and 100% on that. Thank you