Skip to main content
Topic: Overboost (Read 1364 times) previous topic - next topic

Overboost

So changed turbo old one was leaking oil and smoking occaisionally. Once turbo swap was done installed a bcv (aka) gillis valve it wasn't adjusted right and I over boosted now smoking terribly. Any easy way to tell if it is headgasket or turbo?

Overboost

Reply #1
What color is the smoke?

Overboost

Reply #2
It is white

Overboost

Reply #3
Could have also melted a hole in your piston like i did about a year ago.
 Its what happens when you have too much boost and not enough fuel sadly. All that damage to mine was caused by a cracked rubber line in the tank just above the pump. It pumped out lots of white smoke as well just a heads up although i hope this isnt the case for you.

Overboost

Reply #4
It still had plenty of power so I'm kinda not thinking that is the case nor is it making any noises

Overboost

Reply #5
Sounds like a head gasket.

Overboost

Reply #7
how much is too much?
-pete
july/88 turbo coupe auto

Overboost

Reply #8
If its an ebay generic turbo it may have just blown a seal. They tend to have sloppy bearings and blow seals pretty fast. I've had them start leaking oil within 2 weeks. do a compression test. The cylinders should all have similar psi if the head gasket and pistons are intact. if there is more than a 20 psi discrepancy pull the head and check the pistons and head gasket.

turbo charged 94 Cobra engine/440cc injectors/megasquirt /5 speed swapped (T5)/maxbox upper intake/70mm PP throttle body/AJE coilovers/2003 Mustang control arms/S.T. sway bars/ES rear control arm bushings/11" brake conversion/manual rack conversion/8.8 TC rear with rear discs and a welded diff/3.73 gears/PLX wideband/199mph speedometer/Aeromotive FPR/CNC hydraulic hand brake/cobra R wheels/....ect.

Overboost

Reply #9
If you still have plenty of power, you must not have blown the head gasket between cylinders. Check your oil and coolant for signs of cross-contamination. If they look normal, focus on the turbocharger.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]