Skip to main content
Topic: tranny transplant (Read 2495 times) previous topic - next topic

tranny transplant

I have a 198888 cougar 3.8 v6 with the aod. Id like to put another aod tranny in it. From what other cars can i get an aod that will mate to my engine?

tranny transplant

Reply #1
I would look hard at a auto out of a newer v-6 mustang. Should bolt up, is programable, and now semi common in junkyards.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

tranny transplant

Reply #2
How much should i expect to pay for one

tranny transplant

Reply #3
And does the size of the engine the transmission was mated to matter?

tranny transplant

Reply #4
Any trans from a 3.8 or V8 is interchangeable. Bell housing pattern on the 3.8 is the same as a SB Ford. Watch out for the linkage coming out of the trans. Linkage is different on column shift cars than floor shift. It can be changed out, but you have to pull the valve body to do it. Transmission lengths can be different. As long as you stick with the AOD you should be OK.

tranny transplant

Reply #5
Quote from: Chrome;390197
Any trans from a 3.8 or V8 is interchangeable. Bell housing pattern on the 3.8 is the same as a SB Ford. Watch out for the linkage coming out of the trans. Linkage is different on column shift cars than floor shift. It can be changed out, but you have to pull the valve body to do it. Transmission lengths can be different. As long as you stick with the AOD you should be OK.

You can flip the shifter shaft without pulling the valve body,done it a few times.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

tranny transplant

Reply #6
Quote from: Kitz Kat;390211
You can flip the shifter shaft without pulling the valve body,done it a few times.
How?? Please tell me! I'm in that boat right now. Just performed HO and trans transplant.

tranny transplant

Reply #7
Ditto on this, everytime I've done this I've had to drop the valve body take the huge nut loose and flip it.
88 Turbocoupe: Coast High Performance 331 kit 28oz balance, Comp XE264HR14 cam, 58cc 185 afr heads, 1.7 roller rockers, Mass-Flo EFI (was POS to setup and their techline is a joke at best)
Full 1 5/8 primary equal length headers, 2 1/2 exhaust, Full manual reverse VB c4 and baked off clear coat "BECAUSE RACECAR"

tranny transplant

Reply #8
Loosen the the nut,1" wrench, pull out a little ,flip 180. re tighten. Like I said did it a few times. I never took the valve body out.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

tranny transplant

Reply #9
It's been about 5 years since I did it. I may have used a ground down wrench,but I don't think so. Other guys done it to. Never dropped the VB. It' pretty simple.

tranny transplant

Reply #10
Still have to drop the pan though. Not fun with no lift. It can get pretty messy even with a lift if you are not careful.

tranny transplant

Reply #11
Having clean fluid in a "new" tranny should be done with a new filter anyways...

I didn't have any trouble getting it from the pan.
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.

tranny transplant

Reply #12
IIRC theres a little round pin in there you have to knock out also. then the assy will slide out flip around and bam good to go

tranny transplant

Reply #13
From Eric's site:

Car(s)                              Model Years                    Direct Fit for AOD?
Fox Cougar/Thunderbird      1987-88                          Yes
Mustang V8                      1984-93                          Yes
Mark VII                              1984-92                          Yes, with modification to driveshaft length
Continental (RWD)              1984-87                          Yes, with modification to driveshaft length
MN12 Cougar/Thunderbird (including SC and XR7)1989-90    Yes

Although I would have to add the MN12 up to at least 1992 because that's what I'm running with no problem
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

tranny transplant

Reply #14
Also the panther chassis aod and f-series trucks.

Panther from 1980-91, except 1990-91 town car, both require driveshaft lenth change.

For mn-12,its from 89-97?(not sure when they went to the electronic one) v-6 and 91-93 for v-8.

Cougar bird should also read 1980-88, however the aod was optional until 1986 for the 3.8, and the xr7's and turbo coupes had no aod.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.