Skip to main content
Topic: Question????? (Read 2589 times) previous topic - next topic

Question?????

Here goes nothing!!!!

Had a discussion on another site about SEA FOAM.

Well here goes!!!

I KNOW IT IS A DE-CARBONIZER. and I USE DE-CARBONIZERS ALL THE TIME. Now they were telling me they put it in the OIL??? In the fuel tank ??? And in the vacuum hose from the booster???

I said it is JUNK and a scam!!! I do use GM and Ford stuff for this and also Chrysler Chemicals. But they have a specific set of instructions. They got so mad at me when i said the stuff was JUNK they called me every name in the book and  BANNED ME. (LIKE I CARE ANYWAY) Now i still feel the stuff is JUNK. And for years my DAD used water to de-carbonize. And taught me how to do it.  So what do you guys think and do you use the stuff on a regular bases. No arguments just hashing it over. Lay it on ME!!!! Thanks!!!:hick::hick:
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Question?????

Reply #1
I never noticed a differance after using it, and chalked it up as just that.

Others have sworn by it.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Question?????

Reply #2
I've used it before with good results. Both times the idle got better. I haven't used it on the Sport. I only have about 20,000 miles on the engine. I did use it in the last two engines.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Question?????

Reply #3
I have used it on engines that won't quite pass emissions with just a tuneup, and it works fine for that. I haven't had much luck as far as curing "pinging" yet with it.
1983 Tbird with '03 Split Port V6 motor swap done! Headers, dual exhaust, 500CFM Edelbrock, 3G upgrade, Electric fan. 3.73 Gears and an FRPP Limited Slip. Five lug complete! 5-Speed conversion complete! Standalone Fuel Injection in progress...

Question?????

Reply #4
You see that is my point. Vinnie claims a better IDLE. WHY??? Jrad claims it did not help ignition ping??? Why not. It claims to clean out carbon deposits??? And stacks and Me are on the same exact page. I find absolutely no difference. Well thank you guys just trying to get input on the stuff. SCAM OR MIRACLE JUICE I CANT TELL!!! Thanks again
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

Question?????

Reply #5
I don't know about miracle juice, but I've used it with good results for decarboning on my cadillacs, definitely notice smoother idle afterwards.  but that may be from my habit of revving the piss out of the motor after I seafoam it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My Bebe! 1980 Thunderbird, 302 & AOD are the only option boxes checked

Question?????

Reply #6
Quote from: TOM Renzo;390186
You see that is my point. Vinnie claims a better IDLE. WHY??? Jrad claims it did not help ignition ping??? Why not. It claims to clean out carbon deposits??? And stacks and Me are on the same exact page. I find absolutely no difference. Well thank you guys just trying to get input on the stuff. SCAM OR MIRACLE JUICE I CANT TELL!!! Thanks again
Ping could have been from too much timing or not enough octane. Maybe it had so much carbon that only a tear down would fix. Don't get me wrong. I will not praise a product that I have never used. Would be nice to test it with a boroscope. Take a look into an engine that has carbon, and then seafoam it, and then take a look again. I have been wondering about this product myself.

Question?????

Reply #7
In my opinion, its hard to get an engine not to pass emissions. If its tuned up, it shouldn't ping. If it does, you have a bigger problem then a $10 can of sea foam, and I wouldn't count on it to fix it.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Question?????

Reply #8
Quote from: Chrome;390199
Ping could have been from too much timing or not enough octane. Maybe it had so much carbon that only a tear down would fix. Don't get me wrong. I will not praise a product that I have never used. Would be nice to test it with a boroscope. Take a look into an engine that has carbon, and then seafoam it, and then take a look again. I have been wondering about this product myself.

I totally agree and you can remove carbon with H2O Just as well

Question?????

Reply #9
Quote from: Haystack;390204
In my opinion, its hard to get an engine not to pass emissions. If its tuned up, it shouldn't ping. If it does, you have a bigger problem then a $10 can of sea foam, and I wouldn't count on it to fix it.

Once again i totally agree with you stacks as well. So what is the hype???

Sounds like a MAGIC POTION. Or miracle chemical. Hard to figure???

Question?????

Reply #10
I think the product, although it's not water, has the same function. I've seen guys pour water down the carb slowly to remove carbon build up. Same thing different liquid.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Question?????

Reply #11
We pour a bottle of seafoam into the gas tanks of a lot of our used GM vehicles with misfire and/or hard starting problems. There's a bulletin out on almost every GM vehicle made since the early 2000's stating that the injectors clog due to poor gas (and yet this "bad gas" only affects GM injectors). The bulletin gives a whole procedure for cleaning injectors, including using a special tool and (of course) GM fuel injector cleaner. We simply drop a can of seafoam into the tank, and after a hundred or so miles the problem usually goes away. We've got around a 95% success rate with it.

I've also heard people having great success freeing up the stuck rings in their Saturns by pulling the plugs, filling the cylinders with Seafoam, and letting the car sit overnight. I've never done this one personally, though - when my rings stuck in my old SL2 I honed the cylinders and re-ringed the engine...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Question?????

Reply #12
I ran it in the crankcase of my 96 silverado when the intake gasket let loose and filled my oil with coolant, after I fixed it all of course.
I did notice the gunk under the oil fill lid was completely gone and looked like a brand new nos lid.  So it cleans something.

Ive also run it through the brake booster on most of my vehicles, seems to idle smoother when done.  Definately gives a "smoke show".

I also run a can in my fuel tank occasionally.  Mostly as a fuel stabalizer, as my cougar sits alot with the ethanol blend in it.  I hate Stabil...
Mike

Question?????

Reply #13
On my '92 5.0 F150, I had a rough idle that didn't give any codes. After a tune up, it was still there. Someone (think it may have been someone here) suggested running a can of sea foam into it. I did. Cured the miss/rough idle.

On my '88 Chevy (305m engine) I ran a can through it. Made it worse. Now has a h/g leak. Kinda doubting the sea foam caused it, but I have a 50% success rate....in other words, drive Ford :)
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Question?????

Reply #14
The pinging issue was actually only under heavy load on a separate, bone stock vehicle that ran through emissions fine. Other than that one issue it was a great running little truck. The one that wouldn't make it through emissions was a 180k mile Cadillac that should have been sped, but due to budget constraints they wanted to keep it on the road a little longer.

Thunder chicken, I think that's pretty funny about the GM injectors(Since I don't own any of those!) I've heard the ring trick as well. I have a friend that has an issue with his 60k mile Jeep (3.7L)  occasionally limping along at 20 MPH even when floored. Says it stutters bad, but if he shuts it down for a bit, it'll run fine afterward. Some Jiffy lube guy told him it might be his injectors.
1983 Tbird with '03 Split Port V6 motor swap done! Headers, dual exhaust, 500CFM Edelbrock, 3G upgrade, Electric fan. 3.73 Gears and an FRPP Limited Slip. Five lug complete! 5-Speed conversion complete! Standalone Fuel Injection in progress...