Skip to main content
Topic: Big Problem (Read 1814 times) previous topic - next topic

Big Problem

I have a BIG problem I need some help with...I had a new engine in my car I built and installed about a month ago.  It was a 302 with GT-40P heads, Crane 1.7 roller rockers and a Ford E-303 cam, along with mass air conversion, T-5, 5 lug conversion, 3.55 gears in the rear end, lots of cosmetic enhancements, etc, etc.  The engine ran perfect, lots of power, good mileage, and it ran exactly like it should with that combination, the thing would break the tires loose even when I shifted into second and just pulled strong all the way to the redline.  I put 906 miles on the engine and Friday went to start it while leaving work....suddenly I heard a lot of clanking and immediately shut off the engine.

While looking under the hood, I noticed anti-freeze on the ground, took a closer look and it was mixed with oil.  There was also a few pieces of engine on the ground under the car. Yep, it threw a rod.  I got the car towed to my father-in-law's house where we tore it apart within three hours and disassembled the engine enough to find the cause of the meltdown.  The cause of the carnage...the center of the #8 spark plug came off and fell into the cylinder causing the chain reaction that blew three holes in the cylinder, cracked the block, blew a hole in the block, oil pan and oil pan retainer, the connecting rod hit the starter, breaking it off of the bell housing, causing it to pull the flywheel gear, chew 8 inches of teeth on the flywheel, bent two pushrods and broke the piston into about 30 pieces.  That's what I found out so far.  I have held off disassembling the engine further until I talk to the spark plug manufacturer to see if they will lend a helping hand in the rebuild.

I heard however, this particular spark plug manufacturer has had lawsuits in recent years due to defective plugs and I am having a hard time finding the cases on the web.  I don't want to name the manufacturer at this time since if they do right and help fix what they wrecked, I will not want to drag their name through the mud if they are willing to stand behind what they make.

Right now i am still driving the car, I put my father-in-law's old engine in my car over the weekend so I can still drive it for now (we just built a new one for him this winter as well).  At least the car isn't a lawn ornament right now.  Does anyone out there know of or have any information on any of the major manufacturers having lawsuits against them for defective plugs?  Any information would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks guys!!

With a helping hand, I may still be able to have the engine back in time for Cat Jam.

Re: Big Problem

Reply #1
here's a pic (if it worked)

Reply #2
and one more for now

Reply #3
ooh that has to hurt. I feel for you man. Hopefully you can get it all fixed. Did it get to the oil pan?
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #4
Yep, knocked a 3 inch hole in it.

Reply #5
that sux. I threw a rod in a car once. $120 toyota corrola at least but still. I feel for ya. Let us know if there is anything that you need. Lots of us sell stuff that you might need for cheap. Are you gonna need a new block and everyhting, or can you have it machined?

***edit*** should prolly look at the picture first next time
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.

Reply #6
No, I don't need anything, thankfully between my father in law and I, we have a TON of 5.0 parts, but it still will be costly.  I don't know if the crank is bent yet or anything because I want to see if I can get some sort of compensation from the spark plug company considering they are the reason it went and the reason it is going to have to get rebuilt.  I have a block, spare connecting rod and oil pan.  The rest that I know of so far is a couple of pushrods, machining, a replacement piston and rings.  Thankfully the head will be OK, there is a small mark in it that can get machined.

Reply #7
Boch platmium plugs huh?
But where is the damaged plug that caused the chain reaction?  That plug looks fine except the end that sticks outside of the cylinder, so it wouldn't have caused the problem.

My firend had nothing but trouble with his tempo, and those plugs, while I've always ran them with out any at all.  must be luck.

Reply #8
No, you missed the end of the plug all the way on the left of the one shot....you'll see a missing electrode.  I didn't take these pics, didn't have my camera with me at the time, going to get better ones though.

Reply #9
Welcome to the board.  (Hey everyone, this guy uses proper grammar!) I work at auto zone, people come in all the time complaining about bosch spark plugs.  Run nothing but motorcraft!  I'm sure the accel plugs could be good as well.

Thats a shame buddy, so what does this car look like anyway?
One 88

Reply #10
Thanks, actually, I have been around the board for a while, about 4 years anyway (the other board Eric used to run), I just tend to read and keep my mouth shut for the most part.  My wife works at Advance as well and said there have been a few lawsuits with Bosch regarding their plugs, not sure how true that is though.  I will eventually get a few pics up on the board for you, but it is silver with a flat black hood scoop, metallic blue trim, and blue pearl flames on the front, with Mustang SVO wheels and 96-99 Taurus mirrors I modified to fit in the stock location. Oh yeah, can't forget the shaved door handles and antenna.

Reply #11
get us a pic man. Welcome to the boards.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

Reply #12
Quote from: CougarSE
(Hey everyone, this guy uses proper grammer!)

I don't nitpick like this very often, but I found this pretty funny. (since you commented on his) It's spelled "grammar".

"Grammer" is supposedly a city in Indiana.. and Kelsey's last name. :p

Reply #13
Just curious,  How many miles on the plugs in the motor before that one went kaboom?
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #14
Like I said, the engine had 906 miles on it.  The plug that went is completely undamaged except for the center that fell out.  I am still looking for the center, but haven't gotten all of the pieces out of the cylinder wall hole yet.  There are no ses or anything on the plug, the center is just gone.