Skip to main content
Topic: The hard thing to do (Read 1648 times) previous topic - next topic

The hard thing to do

Well tonight, I realized I've got to put my old girl to sleep. She's nearly 10, and getting food aggressive. Today, she bit my sis in law and attacked her dog when they came over. She's also kind of snappish to my Boxer and my other dogs.

It's not the first time I've been here, and it won't be the last, but that doesn't make it suck any less.

She's a Pit Bull, and this is a rather new side to her, and I'm not one to take chances, especially with my 2 and 3 year old kids, so I'm going to let her go.
 this is hard to do. X
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

The hard thing to do

Reply #1
, sorry to hear that, I know as well as anyone how hard it is to put one down, they are family for sure.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My Bebe! 1980 Thunderbird, 302 & AOD are the only option boxes checked

The hard thing to do

Reply #2
I hate to hear that, Beau, I know what it's like to love a pet.... BUT, I have to ask, why would ANYONE with kids want a pitbull? They have their reputation for a reason. Stay away from them. Yes, there are owners who say that their dog is like a puppy, but the potential is there. Any dog can get that way, but in that breed, it's more imbedded in them. Don't take that chance again !!!!
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

The hard thing to do

Reply #3
Well Vin, I had Rosie before I had the kids, hell, I had her before I had my first wife...she (and her littermate Thor, who died in december) were confined to an outbuilding, but when we lost him, I moved her up closer to the house. She's just old, hasn't much socialization. I've had several Pits over the years....all but one were (mostly) great with other people, dogs, kids, whoever.

But yes, I agree, there's a stigma to Pit bulls...I'm just not going to endure the load it carries. They're great dogs, but they're not the kind that you can leave in a pen or on a chain, with 10 minutes of attention per day, and expect to be happy go lucky, like a lab or golden. Unfortunately, I learned the hard way with Rosie and Thor. :(

Not ALL Bullies are mean, OR pr0ne to it....FWIW, I had a Choc. Lab that was meaner than hell. I still have scars from that one.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

The hard thing to do

Reply #4
I feel for you and your impending loss, but I also understand the decision you've made.

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

The hard thing to do

Reply #5
sorry to hear that i had to put down my rot/lab Daisy a few years ago because she had cancer. worst feeling ever :(

The hard thing to do

Reply #6
Quote from: vinnietbird;389635
I hate to hear that, Beau, I know what it's like to love a pet.... BUT, I have to ask, why would ANYONE with kids want a pitbull? They have their reputation for a reason. Stay away from them. Yes, there are owners who say that their dog is like a puppy, but the potential is there. Any dog can get that way, but in that breed, it's more imbedded in them. Don't take that chance again !!!!

Gotta disagree with ya Vinnie.  I remember my Grandpa telling me (he is 97 now) that back it the day you didn't have kids without having a pitbull first. Back then they were called nanny dogs i guess because of how good they were with kids.  I've never met a mean pitbull in my life unless it had a mean owner.  The media ruined these dogs, pen 15er Spaniels and Dalmatian have been known to be a lot more vicious than pitbulls, not to mention little ankle biter type dogs which prob. don't get reported for attacking people because they are 'cute' and 'not vicious'.  Call it an American Pit Terrier and people will call it a good dog.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My Bebe! 1980 Thunderbird, 302 & AOD are the only option boxes checked

The hard thing to do

Reply #7
I don't really have an opinion on dog breeds ,  But one thing I noticed  than when a dog attacks the owners always with out fail say "well. he never bit anyone before "

Beau , sorry you had to make this decision
Fox-less at the moment

The hard thing to do

Reply #8
I've had an evil tempered Pit before....a little 30 pound bitch that would snap when I carried her food pan into her kennel. When she got out (correction, ate her way through chain link) and killed 2 other dogs twice her size, I had zero hesitation in giving her the sodium shot...

Rosie will be a little harder on my heart, because she really has never bitten someone/another dog before.

But, to keep my kids safe, I gotta do what hurts like a m-f'er.

I've had Labs, ankle biters, and other assorted breeds of dogs...one Lab in particular was pretty testy. Nearly all the littler dogs were pr0ne to hard nips, surprisingly, the ratio of bite-pr0ne little dogs far outweighs the number of Pits I've encountered.
To be fair though, the littler dogs were kind of a bite and run scenario....the mean Pit I put down in 2005 was the kind that would bite 15 times before you got away....THAT is one of the bad ones. Rosie bit Erica's dog, and then Erica, and then cowered down and wimped out.

But it put the fear in me...she's gotta go. :(
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'06 Explorer EB 4.6