Skip to main content

Poll

Cut or Not?

Total Members Voted: 27

Topic: To cut or not to cut (Read 5786 times) previous topic - next topic

To cut or not to cut

Reply #45
The ride is really not much different than before.  There was also a clunking noise coming from the springs before which now is gone.  I have no idea why, lol.

Yes, I do need wider rear meats.  These are 245/45/17 but I really need 275's to make it look right.  What is the limit on 17x8.5 wheels?  275?
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

To cut or not to cut

Reply #46
Quote from: Haystack;390076
Okay, I was wrong. Looks much better "tucked".

Thank you sir.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

To cut or not to cut

Reply #47
You know after looking at side profile pics of my car, I am really thinking about ditching the tailpipes and going with axle dumps.  I just don't think stainless or chrome tailpipes go with the rest of the car.  Maybe its just me?

To cut or not to cut

Reply #48
Dumps get really old after a while with the drone. I have seen people angle them both inward and down, to help cancel each other out, but, I think tail pipes are the way to go. My own opinion of course, and, you gotta do it the way that makes you alone happy.

As far as what will fit those wheels, not sure. My rear wheels are 17x10, so, They may hold a little more tire than an 8 inch wheel.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

To cut or not to cut

Reply #49
Grab a pair of 17x10 chrome Cobras. Easy.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

To cut or not to cut

Reply #50
I like the exhaust pipes and agree with Vinnie that you may wish you hadn't gone to dumps.

Stance looks nice.

To cut or not to cut

Reply #51
Looks much better with the rear height like that.  The ass-high look does not fit these cars.

As far as the tailpipes go, one option could be that you tuck the bit after the rear wheel up a bit more, and then just use turndowns right at the rear bumper. That should hide most of it. You could also just have them exit right after the rear wheel, turned off to the side/out a little bit.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

To cut or not to cut

Reply #52
I think you should try spring locks or at least research them. Seems easier to remove if u don't like them. by the way...I love your bird!!lol

To cut or not to cut

Reply #53
Quote from: budns;390129
I think you should try spring locks or at least research them.

Terrible idea.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

To cut or not to cut

Reply #54
Quote from: Chuck W;390132
Terrible idea.

x2, not a good idea at all.

To cut or not to cut

Reply #55
Quote from: 50tbrd88;390073
py cell phone pic:

Very nice, me likey!!!!
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

To cut or not to cut

Reply #56
Thanks.  I gave it a tune up last night too: autolite 25's, Ford Racing 9mm plug wires, new MSD blaster coil, MSD cap/rotor.  Runs great now!  I think my coil was bad because I was experiencing a miss under WOT and that's all gone now.  Took it up to 5K last night and it ran smooth as silk.

Bad thing was a bird pooped on my trunk lid.  I noticed it and cleaned it off (couldn't have been on the car more than 2 hrs).  The darn poo had already left a blemish in my paint!!  I tried rubbing compound, wax, etc and nothing seems to touch it.  I am not a happy camper.

To cut or not to cut

Reply #57
Quote from: 50tbrd88;390140

Bad thing was a bird pooped on my trunk lid.  I noticed it and cleaned it off (couldn't have been on the car more than 2 hrs).  The darn poo had already left a blemish in my paint!!  I tried rubbing compound, wax, etc and nothing seems to touch it.  I am not a happy camper.

You need this: http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotive/products/g17216-ultimate-compound/
and this:http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotive/products/g19216-ultimate-polish/
It is awesome stuff.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

To cut or not to cut

Reply #58
Quote from: 50tbrd88;390073
py cell phone pic:

It looks great :). I need to lower mine a bit. I can stick my fist between the tire and fender lip.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

To cut or not to cut

Reply #59
Quote from: thunderjet302;390158
It looks great :). I need to lower mine a bit. I can stick my fist between the tire and fender lip.

Lol, I could too on the rear before cutting the springs.  Thanks for the links on the Mequiars stuff, I really do need to get some and polish the entire car.