Skip to main content

Poll

Cut or Not?

Total Members Voted: 27

Topic: To cut or not to cut (Read 5785 times) previous topic - next topic

To cut or not to cut

So I had the bird out in the yard earlier to make room for changing oil in my Mustang.  I put the new non-adjustable CHE LCA's in a couple of weeks ago along with TC-spec Moog springs. 

I have been hoping that the springs will settle some but so far they have not.  I think it is sitting too high in the rear and now am contemplating cutting the springs some to get it lowered down.  I'm just afraid to cut and then the springs end up settling and being too low!

So what do you guys think? Leave 'em alone, cut them, let them settle, or what?

'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

To cut or not to cut

Reply #1
I like it...I'm old school though
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

To cut or not to cut

Reply #2
They would've settled by now.  Cut.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

To cut or not to cut

Reply #3
if they won't settle, cut........the stance is almost there.....front looks perfect to me.

1983 FORD THUNDERBIRD HERITAGE 5.0
2008 SAAB 9-7X AERO 6.0 (LS2) 1 0f 554 Made
2011 FORD FLEX SEL Family Hauler

To cut or not to cut

Reply #4
Quote from: Chuck W;389538
They would've settled by now.  Cut.

What Chuck said

To cut or not to cut

Reply #5
I voted leave as is. I think the front is a bit low, but I like to hit speed bumps and dips at 15mph too. Always bugged me how eas the bird would hit the gas tank on bumps.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

To cut or not to cut

Reply #6
Quote from: daminc;389537
I like it...I'm old school though

^^^What he said!^^^ I guess the rear could come down just a hair, the front is perfect.  Throw some ballast in the trunk, lol:punchballs:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My Bebe! 1980 Thunderbird, 302 & AOD are the only option boxes checked

To cut or not to cut

Reply #7
thats a sweet looking bird
i think you should cut em just not alot

To cut or not to cut

Reply #8
I'd use spring locks on the rear before I'd cut them. At least, if it does settle too much you can remove them and bring it back up.
Matt
1984 Thunderbird - 89 302 HO, GT40 heads w/ Trick Flow springs, E303 cam, Edelbrock Performer 289 intake and 600 cfm 4bbl, Mustang headers, Jegs o/r H pipe, Dynomax lers, Mustang AOD and shifter, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, 3G alternator, Mustang front and rear sway bars, KYB 87-88 Turbo Coupe shocks and struts, and 11" front brakes.

1988 Mustang GT - GT40 heads, Explorer intake, 70mm throttle body, 70mm MAF, Crane 1.7 rrs, E303 cam, Kirban Kwik shifter w/ Pro 5.0 deluxe handle, aluminum clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster, o/r h pipe, Dynomax lers, 3G alternator, aluminum radiator, and 3.27 gears.

1986 Cougar 5.0, 1989 Mark VII LSC 5 speed, 1980 Mercury Zephyr 4 door (sold)

To cut or not to cut

Reply #9
ive herd that spring locks are bad for the car?

To cut or not to cut

Reply #10
In my view the rear is to high. I would do this in a heart beat. This will get you app 1-1 1/4" drop. That in my view is what you need. Just MY $.02

I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

To cut or not to cut

Reply #12
I like a little rake to a car.  I think it looks fine that way, but  I think the low profile sidewall tires make the gap look too large.
Mike

To cut or not to cut

Reply #13
Quote from: mcb82gt;389574
I think the low profile sidewall tires make the gap look too large.

I agree mcb82gt.

I'd start with only cutting 1/2 a round though but no more than what Tom posted in his pic.

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

To cut or not to cut

Reply #14
I say cut them a little bit.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..