Skip to main content
Topic: Racecar (Read 2485 times) previous topic - next topic

Racecar

came across these that i hadn't seen posted on here before.
apologies if they have been posted before.

83 Thunderbird Heritage - Right Hand Drive
95 Falcon GLi

Racecar

Reply #1
Those are pretty cool! I know you live in Australia so you may not know, but Fox birds were used in Nascar for a while. In fact, the current high speed record that was set in 1987 was set by a Fox bird (Bill Elliot). (if you knew that...my bad)
-'88 Tbird 3.8
-2012 Altima 2.5 BASE. 
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Future: Budget 5.0 300 HP.

Racecar

Reply #2
Awesome, never knew they ran Tbirds in Camel GT series. I'd love to have a model of this car.
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Racecar

Reply #3
It looks like they fabricated the car around the stock hood.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Racecar

Reply #4
I knew they ran Mustangs in this series, I had a model of one, but I didn't know they ran T-Birds as well. That's really cool!

Racecar

Reply #5
Quote from: cougarcragar;387841
It looks like they fabricated the car around the stock hood.

I was thinking the same thing.  I wonder if the league rules required certain stock parts be retained.  The hood angle is greater with modified fenders to probably help with downforce and aerodynamics...

Very cool.

Racecar

Reply #6
Probably somewhat similar to what NASCAR required when that vintage of car was new (and being raced thusly): that the front or rear window and roofline was factory, or identical to factory dimension, but the rest could be tweaked by the team(s) to get the most downforce etc.

And remember, there's that one site (can't remember it's name right now) that sells fiberglass body panels for cars, including our beloved Foxes..sure some of those or stuff like that was used for these GT-class cars.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Racecar

Reply #7
NASCAR racers were a lot closer to stock, fer s...

A little hard to see in this pict of Bill Elliott & Davy Allison...

Didn't get much boxier than Bobby Allison's Buick, it's a brick compared to the aero Fords... Still it's a good lookin' car and unlike today's cookie cutters, can easily tell it's marque...

Racecar

Reply #8
Quote from: RunninWild;387839
Those are pretty cool! I know you live in Australia so you may not know, but Fox birds were used in Nascar for a while. In fact, the current high speed record that was set in 1987 was set by a Fox bird (Bill Elliot). (if you knew that...my bad)

Yeah after i started looking into buying my bird, i was doing research and noticed that they were used for NASCAR, NASCAR came here a few times back in the 80's/90's so i had fond memories of it and was one of the reasons i love the car so much.

such a brilliant looking car.

and whilst on the topic of boxy buicks, from the same series.
83 Thunderbird Heritage - Right Hand Drive
95 Falcon GLi

Racecar

Reply #9
Quote from: ThunderbirdSport302;387902
Probably somewhat similar to what NASCAR required when that vintage of car was new (and being raced thusly): that the front or rear window and roofline was factory, or identical to factory dimension, but the rest could be tweaked by the team(s) to get the most downforce etc.

And remember, there's that one site (can't remember it's name right now) that sells fiberglass body panels for cars, including our beloved Foxes..sure some of those or stuff like that was used for these GT-class cars.
Hairy Glass out in Florida sells fiberglass parts for the Birds.
Donnie
10 Second NA TBird
Fredericksburg Va

Racecar

Reply #10
Quote from: RunninWild;387839

Talladega speed record was 210.364 mph
Daytona speed record was 212.809 mph
Donnie
10 Second NA TBird
Fredericksburg Va

Racecar

Reply #11
"Bill Elliott
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bill Elliott car that set the record for the fastest recorded time in a stock car - 212.809 miles per hour (342.483 km/h) at Talladega Superspeedway

He holds the track record for fastest qualifying speed at Talladega at 212.809 mph and Daytona International Speedway at 210.364 mph Both of these were set in 1987. The mark at Talladega is the fastest speed for any NASCAR event ever."

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Racecar

Reply #12
Quote from: 1BadBird;389851
"Bill Elliott
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bill Elliott car that set the record for the fastest recorded time in a stock car - 212.809 miles per hour (342.483 km/h) at Talladega Superspeedway

He holds the track record for fastest qualifying speed at Talladega at 212.809 mph and Daytona International Speedway at 210.364 mph Both of these were set in 1987. The mark at Talladega is the fastest speed for any NASCAR event ever."

Yep your right, looked at it twice, wrote it on a piece of paper correctly and still typed it wrong! Dang!
Donnie
10 Second NA TBird
Fredericksburg Va

Racecar

Reply #13
Quote from: 87 T-BIRD;389898
Yep your right, looked at it twice, wrote it on a piece of paper correctly and still typed it wrong! Dang!

LOL,I hate it when I do that too.

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]