Skip to main content
Topic: 88 turbo coupe (Read 1861 times) previous topic - next topic

88 turbo coupe

I just bought a 88 turbo coupe tbird. I was wondering if any of you knew the wheelbase, and what rearend was in it? I was told it's a limited slip 8.8, and it's 104 inch wheelbase. Just checking to be sure. Thanks in advance.

88 turbo coupe

Reply #2
Ok cool, I hear it has a borg warner t5? It had a 3.8 turbo in it too.

88 turbo coupe

Reply #4
Quote from: Vito324;387526
It had a 3.8 turbo in it too.

No, no it doesn't.  2.3T I4.

Wheelbase is 104.4"
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

88 turbo coupe

Reply #5
It had a turbo 2.3 and the tranny is a WORLD CLASS BORG WARNER T5. And the final drive is an 8.8 ford POSI.

Chuck is correct on the WB and engine. The rear axle is 61 inches wide DISC TO DISC
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

88 turbo coupe

Reply #6
Ok, Thanks guys. Just wondering, How much is the T5 worth? I may not sell it.

88 turbo coupe

Reply #7
Quote from: TOM Renzo;387537
It had a turbo 2.3 and the tranny is a WORLD CLASS BORG WARNER T5. And the final drive is an 8.8 ford Trac-Lok.

Fixed for ya ;)

To the OP: did you pick it up to resell, or what? Or are you just selling the 2.3 T5?
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

88 turbo coupe

Reply #8
Actually, I picked it up to put my stroker 347 in it.

88 turbo coupe

Reply #9
Nice.  I have completed the swap.  If you have any questions, please let me know.

88 turbo coupe

Reply #10
ahem.... :ttiwwp:

88 turbo coupe

Reply #12
It's a WC T5 for sure but is 4cyl spec, which means it a bit on the weak side(240ft lb I believe) and has a stump pullin' 3.97 1st gear... Input shaft is slightly different than the V8 T5, requires a Probe pilot bearing to use... None of the gears interchange with the V8 pieces, even the case is machined differently due to having a larger gear size on the input shaft...

A '88 TC with T5 will have a 3.55 ratio, 8.8" Traction-Lock rear with disc brakes... The disc setup are unique to the '87 & '88 TC, At one time Ford Racing offered this setup as a conversion for the Stangs but it's long been discontinued...

88 turbo coupe

Reply #13
^^^Thanks for the info. I'll post pics when I get into the project.

88 turbo coupe

Reply #14
How much is the T5 worth in these?