Skip to main content
Topic: Starter relay clicks (Read 2746 times) previous topic - next topic

Starter relay clicks

Put new engine in and went to start nothing. Jumped the relay and it just clicks. Changed it and tried again and still the same just clicks. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Starter relay clicks

Reply #1
Same starter as before?
Wires corroded/dirty?
battery good?
Battery cables good and clean, and tight?
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Starter relay clicks

Reply #2
What's your battery voltage, and was it a motocraft solinoid? Does tapping on the starter or solinoid help start it? I have had many problems with auto parts store brand ones not working. Sometime needing 3 or 4 before one works.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Starter relay clicks

Reply #3
definitely sounds like the problem is between the solenoid and the starter.. do a voltage test on the starter side of the solenoid, while someone turns the key to the 'start' position.. if you get voltage, you either have a damaged cable or bad starter

ALSO.. some solenoids have 2 small posts.. 1 of them is useless, the other is for the wire coming from the ignition switch.. if this is how yours is set up, swap the wire to the other smaller post and give it another shot.. another possibility is that you have the +12v feed and starter cable crossed
ShadowMSC.com < < Still Under Construction

R.I.P. 'Zump' 8/29/86 - 11/11/11
3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

Starter relay clicks

Reply #4
No power to starter. Put test light on starter wire side of relay and nothing. Every thing looks good with wires.

Starter relay clicks

Reply #5
Try putting the starter cable directly to the positive post on the battery and see if it cranks

Starter relay clicks

Reply #6
i think you have a shot solenoid..
ShadowMSC.com < < Still Under Construction

R.I.P. 'Zump' 8/29/86 - 11/11/11
3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

Starter relay clicks

Reply #7
Quote from: Haystack;387508
I have had many problems with auto parts store brand ones not working. Sometime needing 3 or 4 before one works.

^^^This^^^  I have ran in to this several times, you could always try jumping the solenoid with a long screwdriver across the posts and see if it cranks, it's saved my ass in parking lots a few times when the solenoids go out.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My Bebe! 1980 Thunderbird, 302 & AOD are the only option boxes checked

Starter relay clicks

Reply #8
Ford starter solenoids are getting to be a pain. The store bought ones are really junk. I always use genuine ford from the dealer. Or better yet get rid of the garbage fender solenoid & starter motor.  Then get a solenoid on starter and that issue is GONE. If you have power at the starter lug when cranking clearly the starter is shot. Or it is not grounded properly to the block. Just a dumb question??? Is the block grounded properly. Hay i have seen it before!!! And is the connections good on the starter and solenoid ??? Just checking. You never KNOW???

Note when you say it clicks ??? Does it continually click or is it a single click with the key in the start position. If it is a continuous clicking it is a bad battery or a bad connection. Make sure your battery is charged and OK. And all connections are good and tight.
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Starter relay clicks

Reply #9
Had bad ground!!! Started up!!!!

Starter relay clicks

Reply #10
The first two bad solinoids I put in my car were motocraft. After 3 or 4 tries I went to a junkyard and found one laying on the ground. Bought it for $3 and never had a problem after that.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com