Skip to main content
Topic: Something bad happened to the Tbird today :( (Read 3126 times) previous topic - next topic

Something bad happened to the Tbird today :(

Well because of someone being  stupid and in the rain on top of it. The car has been wrecked, but not  totaled thankfully. Im already in the works of tracking down parts, I  may have a hood and complete header panel, with lights tracked down. Its  just gonna come down to price that he wants for the parts. I may need a  core support and hood safety latch. If any of you may have some of this  laying around hit me up, Im gonna need all the help I can get in  resurrecting this fallin bird.

Also if anyone has the crash  repair measurement diagrams and could either email me a copy that would  be great. On a good note though I was able to drive it home, so its in a  safe place. Heres some pics for ya.

Reply #1
That really sucks. That's also exactly why i moved on from these cars and am very reluctant to get back into one. GL getting it back together.
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #2
Bummer! I can relate.......see my Torino rebuild thread.  If i could get that car back together, you can handle this build.  Best of luck! 
http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?28702-Worst-day-ever-(chevy-truck-destroys-my-front-clip&highlight=

1983 FORD THUNDERBIRD HERITAGE 5.0
2008 SAAB 9-7X AERO 6.0 (LS2) 1 0f 554 Made
2011 FORD FLEX SEL Family Hauler

Reply #3
Glad ur not hurt. Good luck on the rebuild. That's a real nice bird. Love the wheels.

Reply #4
Oh ya Im fixing it and probably making it a little better in the process. The problem is I have to pay out of pocket, I only had liability on the car. What sucks is Ive been meaning to call my insurance company up and put full on it. Of coarse day late and a dollar short. They put me at fault with only asking me for a short version of what happened and never had me write anything down. Its things like this that really make me hate Dubuque, Ia cops. It seems like they only do a 1/2 @ss job

Reply #5
ouch.. that sucks! at least the bumper cover looks alright, with the exception of the plate holder hanging off.. luckily, it's a TC and the radiator is a mile away from the waterpump.. that really would have sucked!
ShadowMSC.com < < Still Under Construction

R.I.P. 'Zump' 8/29/86 - 11/11/11
3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

Reply #6
Ya as upset as I was I was happy to see that the bumper and bumper cover survived for the most part. Definatly glad of the distance to the water pump, with the cylinder just on the other side of it. Engine probably would have been junk then. I do need to verify what Ive been reading though. If I decide that the core support needs to be replaced no matter what Ive been reading that one from a fox stang(as well as cougar obviously) is the same.

Reply #7
brace the hell out of the front of that car, before you start cutting to replace the upper core support.. otherwise, the front clip will fold

3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

Reply #8
Ya shadow thats the plan if I need to replace it. Not my first rodeo fixing a unibody. I actually went thru autobody when i was younger, so I know how to do this the right way!!!!!!!!!!

Reply #9
aah.. so you know what a portapower is, than lol.. 1 would probably come in handy for getting her all squared back up

Reply #10
Quote from: Shadow;387294
aah.. so you know what a portapower is, than lol.. 1 would probably come in handy for getting her all squared back up
Oh ya, been wanting to get a setup to. We'll have to see how my prices pan out for parts, if I can swing it that would be quite handy. If not slow and steady the redneck way!!! LOL

From what I can tell so far the core support isnt pushed back to far at the top(only), its all gonna come down to if it creased or crush any of it. I havent popped the hood at all yet, since I still need to get it out to my FIL's house some how. Thats where Im gonna fix it at, my landlords wouldnt be to happy is I tore the front clip off my car for more than a couple days!!!

Reply #11
Im glad your OK and the car is repairable.  Hope all goes well.  That is a great looking car, BTW.
Mike

Reply #13
Good luck on the rebuild and glad you're OK. 

Looks like you stuffed it under the back of an SUV or pick-up?
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #14
Quote from: Chuck W;387330
Good luck on the rebuild and glad you're OK. 

Looks like you stuffed it under the back of an SUV or pick-up?

Pretty good guess Chuck, it was a buick Enclave. It drove away with just scratches, while I ended up with this.

Im so glad I joined this site to. The guys offering parts up and deals is great, I do still have to finish with the guy I originally bought the car from. He still has the 2 main pieces from a car he had to part and hes close. But I will let any of you know that has offered.