Skip to main content
Topic: Original Primer on 1985 Thunderbird... (Read 706 times) previous topic - next topic

Original Primer on 1985 Thunderbird...

Hi All...

I am beginning to gather materials needed for repainting my 1985 Thunderbird but I have one concern..  Was the OEM primer used by Ford Lacquer or something else that is compatible with today's 2k primers and/or Epoxy Primer?

The clear coat is completely gone from the roof and hood, so I need to sand the car down to at least the original primer before I begin to apply any new paint.

A complete strippo is out of the question for the time being..

Thanks for any information given..

ThunderGobbler

Reply #1
I'm pretty sure that Ford used a Enamel based primer. Regardless though, If your paint is not delaminating (peeling leaving exposed primer) then you should be fine with any of today's primers. Good luck on your venture and post plenty of progress pics.

John

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Reply #2
By the time I got the paint off it took another day to strip it the rest of the way. Where I cheated was the jams and under the hood and trunk and hood. I used a high build and an epoxy primer with no problems.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]:ford:87 Turbo Coupe through the floor sub frame connectors, 5.8 swap Ford racing heads Harland sharp 1.6 rockers BBK shorty swap headers 2 1/2 BBk X pipe magnaflow ler's. Megasquirt 2 with 36lbs injectors on hurricane intake with 4150 throttle body.Tremec TKO 600 Quicktime blowsheild spec stage 3 clutch. 3.73 gears and still not done