Skip to main content
Topic: AOD Problems... PROBLEM FIXED (Read 6022 times) previous topic - next topic

AOD Problems... PROBLEM FIXED

So I've been having some problems.....
First off... I have a SC AOD with a 2800 converter. Miles are unknown at this point....
also installed new filter, gasket, and drain plug.
I got it from another member here, and he said it was in working condition when he pulled it out of his car for me.

First question
should the dip stick go into the pan? or stop short?
my original 87 AOD has the same length tube but the dip stick is longer and the full marks are about 1-1/2" diff then the stick in the SC AOD.

Second question
Should the TV lever be pushing all the way clockwise until the throttle is moved, moving the TV lever counter clockwise? That's what it's doing ... I believe that's the way it should be set up according to the video I watched

Main problem
The car shifts fine until the rpms go up, then it slips out into neutral when the rpms lower (as I let up on the gas pedal)... then nothing until the rpms go way up again, and it goes back into gear... Does the same thing in all the gears including reverse. It acts like it's low on fluid, but I'm not sure which dip stick is correct... It seems like the stick should go into the pan, but I could be wrong.... When I use the shorter stick, and fill it to the full marks, it leaks out of the bottom of the tube. I'm sure it needs a new O-ring.... But  I still have the same problem... plus leaking fluid...

Another question
When the fluid is cold.... Should it read way past the full mark, or lower then the full mark on the stick... The vert reads way lower until it's been running, and this one reads way way past the full marks

If there is a problem with this AOD... I have 2 choices until I get this one rebuilt....

1. Install my original V6 AOD with 108,000, and watch it slowly (or quickly) die behind my 306.....
or
2. Put the C6 in, and get another converter for that... I believe it also has a shift kit in it (if I remember correctly)... and I already have the SB bell, flexplate, and shorter driveshaft for it too. And I also have a ratchet shifter for it..

This will be a temp setup until the SC Aod get rebuilt (if needed), but it won't happen this year. I also don't drive more then 100 miles a year in any of my Cougars.

what do you guys think?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #1
Im sorry to hear that, I really like your car.

My AOD is acting funny also, since I put the 3.73 gears in.

Im not sure how long the V6 aod will last, but that is prob what I would do.  I also admit I know nothing about C6's though.  I like the OD, but 100 miles/year is no issue.

Sorry I know I wasnt any help.  Im just empathetic cause Im kinda in the same boat. LOL
Mike

Reply #2
Myself, it depends on the driving I'd do. If it's mostly lower speed (as in, no highway, or interstates, or above 60 or so) I'd probably just rock out with the C4.

If fuel mileage, and highway speeds are definite...well, obviously not the 3 speed auto, for me.

Of course, neither of my Fox cars have an auto, so WTF do I know...
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #3
If you filled it to the point that it leaked out of the tube o-ring, and that didn't help, you definitely have enough fluid. Too much, obviously, but the pump isn't getting starved. I know I've had my pan off with the dipstick not removed and it doesn't just-barely reach the end of the tube, it definitely sits in the middle of the fluid in the pan. If it ever grabs any gear good then the clutches can't all be spent.

I can't visualize the linkage for the TV right now, so  complicated LOL. But I do know that the lever on the trans itself, is spring loaded. The spring inside the valvebody fights to return the valve to the almost closed position, letting through the least amount of pressure. So when the throttle is opened all the way, that lever should be at the other end of the travel from where it sits with nothing connected to it at all. I don't know if that rotating linkage could make the opposite happen, but I feel like it might be possible, which would be funny but also terrible. Giving you hard shifts with a light pedal and almost no pressure under severe load, which would quickly destroy all of the clutch material. Definitely sounds like a global loss of pressure, whether it's the tailshaft governor, the Throttle Valve, or the pump is shot and not producing enough pressure. Doesn't sound like a shift acspoogeulator is stuck or something like that, which would affect one or two gears.
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #4
yes, the TV lever is loaded, and the cable is pulling the opposite way
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

Reply #5
Quote from: ThunderbirdSport302;387028
Myself, it depends on the driving I'd do. If it's mostly lower speed (as in, no highway, or interstates, or above 60 or so) I'd probably just rock out with the C4.

If fuel mileage, and highway speeds are definite...well, obviously not the 3 speed auto, for me.

Of course, neither of my Fox cars have an auto, so WTF do I know...

there is no speed limit higher then 45 on the island, and I'm not planning on leaving it
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #6
it also def grabs the gears real good until I ease up on the throttle, then after .. it will grab and chirp the tires when the rpms go up...it will also try to stall the car after it grabs
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #7
http://www.clickclickracing.com/forums/forum.php

Check here the seem to know alot on aod stuff
Good luck
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]:ford:87 Turbo Coupe through the floor sub frame connectors, 5.8 swap Ford racing heads Harland sharp 1.6 rockers BBK shorty swap headers 2 1/2 BBk X pipe magnaflow ler's. Megasquirt 2 with 36lbs injectors on hurricane intake with 4150 throttle body.Tremec TKO 600 Quicktime blowsheild spec stage 3 clutch. 3.73 gears and still not done

Reply #8
My AOD acted like that when I didn't have enough fluid.  But it seems you should have more than enough. 

I believe the fluid level with a full torque converter should be above the pan gasket level but below the fill tube o-ring.

Reply #9
Quote from: The Shredder;387039
My AOD acted like that when I didn't have enough fluid.  But it seems you should have more than enough. 

I believe the fluid level with a full torque converter should be above the pan gasket level but below the fill tube o-ring.

this AOD has about 1/16" from the gasket to the tube. It's pretty much right on the pan.. it's not exactly the same as my 87 where there is maybe an inch of area from where the tube goes in above the gasket line...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #10
The only reason I have gotten rid of any of my fox's is the aod going out. A new or rebuilt one costs more then another car. Seems petty now that I can't find one...

I'd rock out a toploader with a top speed of 45mph, you could put some serious gear behind it, get better power, and the same or better gas mileage as an auto wit the same rear gear ratio.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #11
Is it possible your trans filter came off? Its also your pick up...

What color is the fluid?
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #12
Quote from: Haystack;387043
Is it possible your trans filter came off? Its also your pick up...

What color is the fluid?

I don't think it could have come off. it's got 3 bolts holding it on...
the color is the same exact color that went into it.... the darkish red
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #13
Snap a picture of your linkage underneath.  That's exactly what mine did when it was binding up on something once. 

FWIW -- My dipstick shows higher with the car off.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #14
Quote from: V8Demon;387050
Snap a picture of your linkage underneath.  That's exactly what mine did when it was binding up on something once. 

FWIW -- My dipstick shows higher with the car off.

hey... hold on there... I'm gonna go put it in gear and see it it'shiznitting something.... not running of course
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook