Skip to main content
Topic: engine overheated!! no cooling fan (Read 1708 times) previous topic - next topic

engine overheated!! no cooling fan

well put some miles on the TC yesterday, found out the hard way the cooling fans arent working. the overflow tank puked over like a teenager after a whole bottle of Jack.    no cooling fans when the gauge is pegged on high.    today i redid the fan connectors, and tested the fans with 12v. they are fine. 
 so i see the cooling fan relay next to the VAM, do these go bad often?      is there a cooling fan switch along with the ECT? or does it all run from the ect on this?
-pete
july/88 turbo coupe auto

Reply #1
I believe the TC's have CCRM's and they are known to fail eventually. That is my best guess to what's wrong.
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #2
If you check for codes, the eec will also test for fam operation

My bet would be IRCM  I drilled out the rivets, and replaced the relays with externals.

Reply #3
Ircm or the CTS. Throw on the AC and see if the secondary fan runs. (AC SYSTEM MUST BE WORKING FOR IT TO RUN)  Or just bridge the high pressure AC switch on the High side AC line. That will run the AUX fan. The primary fan is controlled by the CTS. Pull the connector and see if the primary fan runs. That will FAST test the IRCM. But you need to build a stand alone fan module to correct the issue permanently. Thanks

Note you can also install a temp sender to run either fan by installing one in the heater hose as a fast fix.

Note if you have a scan tool you can force run the fans. When you do a KOEO phase it runs the fans also.

Note i think if memory serves me the IRCM is obsolete on that car. But i have a half dozen of them!!

Above is a fast way to install an AUX TEMP SENDER TO RUN THE FANS. Install this fitting in either heater hose and a sensor in the extra tapped hole. I normally drill and tap the upper and install it their.
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Reply #4
Also check for loose/failed connections at the fans. I had that problem once.

EDIT: DOH I see you checked that.

Reply #5
So, it's also usually good to specify the year of TC, since they're not the same over the years...
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

Reply #6
Type of vehicle you own
    1988 turbo coupe

His profile says it is an 88. I checked it before posting
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Reply #7
ok to the poster with the external Relays that is genius.
88 Turbocoupe: Coast High Performance 331 kit 28oz balance, Comp XE264HR14 cam, 58cc 185 afr heads, 1.7 roller rockers, Mass-Flo EFI (was POS to setup and their techline is a joke at best)
Full 1 5/8 primary equal length headers, 2 1/2 exhaust, Full manual reverse VB c4 and baked off clear coat "BECAUSE RACECAR"

Reply #8
Quote from: TOM Renzo;386970
Type of vehicle you own
    1988 turbo coupe

His profile says it is an 88. I checked it before posting

Info should be posted in the thread.  Kind of common sense.  If you're asking for advice, we shouldn't also have to go figure out what kind of car you own, or are working on. Make it easier for those trying to help you.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

Reply #9
Quote from: Chuck W;387023
Info should be posted in the thread.  Kind of common sense.  If you're asking for advice, we shouldn't also have to go figure out what kind of car you own, or are working on. Make it easier for those trying to help you.

sorry, i thought my car showed up in a signature. hey i'm still new here
-pete
july/88 turbo coupe auto

Reply #10
Quote from: TOM Renzo;386945
Ircm or the CTS. Throw on the AC and see if the secondary fan runs. (AC SYSTEM MUST BE WORKING FOR IT TO RUN)  Or just bridge the high pressure AC switch on the High side AC line. That will run the AUX fan. The primary fan is controlled by the CTS. Pull the connector and see if the primary fan runs. That will FAST test the IRCM. But you need to build a stand alone fan module to correct the issue permanently. Thanks

Note you can also install a temp sender to run either fan by installing one in the heater hose as a fast fix.

Note if you have a scan tool you can force run the fans. When you do a KOEO phase it runs the fans also.

Note i think if memory serves me the IRCM is obsolete on that car. But i have a half dozen of them!!

Above is a fast way to install an AUX TEMP SENDER TO RUN THE FANS. Install this fitting in either heater hose and a sensor in the extra tapped hole. I normally drill and tap the upper and install it their.

wow lots of good tips!  i found the ECT and found a measurement to test it by, if thats good i may try to do the external relay thing.
-pete
july/88 turbo coupe auto

Reply #11
well, ect checks out good.  we took the CRM relay apart, and it looks terrible in there. we actually figured out the relay was good but the board is in really bad shape.  I am really looking for another unit now.
-pete
july/88 turbo coupe auto