Skip to main content
Topic: black exhaust. (Read 2271 times) previous topic - next topic

black exhaust.

I just recently go my car running again, (you may remember all of the no start threads I started, SorryBut I still have the problems with gas milage. My exhaust is JET BLACK and full of gas. When I stop somewhere or park, I leave a long black mark all the way from where I slowed down to when I stop. It leaves layers of soot. My timining is slightly off, But I have had this problem before it started doing that and the timing I cant get fixed until pay day. I am sure that this has nothing to do with my timing(okay maybe alittle but not all) Basically, What should I switch out. I found lots of vaspoogee lines off, but put them back on and it didnt change anything exept idle. My TPS sensor is off, It idels around 600 to 800 rpm. But I am sure that the spark plugs are on right, and that the timing is as close as I am going to get it. I have spent hours working on both. I dont think that it is slack on the timing chain, Because I did a couple of tests, (minus looking at it and replaceing it). Right now I think that this is some kind of sensor. I got a EGR and a EGO code when I pulled codes. Could I just switch these out with my other 86? Also what kinds of things could cause this. I am back to getting around 7 mpg. (12 freeway woohooo). It has been running alittle bit better since I have ran it through a tank of gas, But as long as it is eating it that much I will not be able to drive it(or get it to pass emmisions) until I get this taken care of.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Re: black exhaust.

Reply #1
OK, your vacuum lines are all connected.....Are they all in good shape?  No cracks or holes or anything like that?  As far as the EGR and EGO codes you should have no problem swapping the parts from your other 86, but if your runnin that rich I would have to say something else is amiss as well....I'm gonna say it's most likely your FPR or an injector....
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #2
Quote from: Paul Flockhart
I'm gonna say it's most likely your FPR or an injector....

i vote on the injector .......pull the injectors and clean them with a toothpick or a small allen wrench

as for the black exhaust..... im not 100% sure what is wrong with that besides maybe your cats are clogged

Reply #3
I vote for FPR- Fuel Pressure Regulator.  Perhaps it's stuck or something and is giving the injectors the full 30-some PSI.  This will DEFINITELY cause the extreme rich condition you are experiencing.

Reply #4
the injectors run on 37psi if i remember correctly

theres no real way to check a CFI regulator other than swapping it out

check the vaspoogee line to the MAP sensor
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #5
its sefi. Thanks for all the replies. After all of those no starts on the car I assumed that everyone was ignoring me
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.

Reply #6
Your overly rich cond is likely one of three or four things.

MAP sensor, the vacspooge line to it, or maybe its electrical connector.

F/P regulator, either pressure is high or maybe the diaphram is leaking.

Failed temp sensor causing the EEC to think the engine is cold.

The temp and MAP sensors will throw a code if they are defective.

Reply #7
map sensor dosent seem to make a diffrence weather it has the vaspoogee line on it or not. I tried this last night.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

Reply #8
it, now I gotta deal with this problem, too.. since you brought it up. :p

I noticed that the new (patchwork) exhaust I put on my '86 got black really quickly.. within days.. and even puffed out tiny black puffs once or twice early on. (not consistent smoke coming out, it was kinda like when a smoker takes a drag and exhales and then starts talking and the first couple words come out with little puffs of smoke) I don't really know what I was thinking at the time, but I thought maybe it had something to do with me swapping out for the pounded-out cats from the '88, and disregarded it.

My CFI's FPR was drilled out by someone servicing the car for the previous owner. I can only guess that they also turned it up a bit, perhaps to try and cover for some other fault. I don't know. I also haven't found any vacuum leaks yet, but the car does vibrate a little more now at idle than it used to, so maybe I let a vacuum leak happen when I yanked the emissions stuff. (kept EGR and the charcoal canister, eliminated the cats and the smog pump tubing)

I guess I will have to ask AutoHole to pull codes or something, since I don't have a Check Engine light on that car.. and my multimeter is a digital readout.

Reply #9
Quote from: Haystack
map sensor dosent seem to make a diffrence weather it has the vaspoogee line on it or not. I tried this last night.

Swap it, possibly has a internal vac leak.. It should make a HUGE difference with the vac line off(assumin' there is vac on the line).

Reply #10
I also vot for the FPR. From what I find most of the time the ruuber piece gets a hole and you suck fuel right into the intake. just think of  how much extra gas that is at 30 psi. any how hope this helps
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Reply #11
where exactly is the fpr on a 1986 5.0? I hav looked through my hays and still not found it....
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

Reply #12
Located on the back side of the fuel rail behind the upper intake.
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #13
Is it just me on a Dayquil high, or is that picture backwards/forward/backwards??? It no looky right :dunno:
Temporarily Foxless? Ride the Bull...

Reply #14
That's how it shows in the Chilton manual.  Guess they just used the pic for the full sized Ford cars with 5.0 motors that have the intake situated the other way.