Skip to main content
Topic: Found Loose Wire 88 XR7 5.0 Where does it go? (Read 1223 times) previous topic - next topic

Found Loose Wire 88 XR7 5.0 Where does it go?

Hubby's out of town and my car won't start, so I started looking around under the hood and found this loose wire - could this be my problem?  Where does it go?

http://pix.kg/p/343909345409%3A1855213010/scl

Reply #1
The pic isn't showing up for me but could you be more specific on the starting problem.  What happens when you turn the key?  Nothing?  Cranks but doesn't start?
1986 Mercury Cougar - 2.3T/T5 swap, TC brakes and suspension and rearend, 3" exhaust, 255 lph fuel pump, Stinger BOV, Gillis MBC @ 18 psi
2003 Chevy Suburban Z71 - Daily driver
2015 Chevy Volt - Wife's daily driver

Reply #2
Cranks, no start -
sprayed fuel into carb still no start -
read about TFI module so I bought the tool, pulled that off and brought to Autozone - it passed all 6 tests

Reply #3
Is the car carbed?  Maybe bad PIP in the distributor.  Can you check for spark?  Then maybe pull a spark plug to check for fuel if you dont have access to a fuel pressure tester.
1986 Mercury Cougar - 2.3T/T5 swap, TC brakes and suspension and rearend, 3" exhaust, 255 lph fuel pump, Stinger BOV, Gillis MBC @ 18 psi
2003 Chevy Suburban Z71 - Daily driver
2015 Chevy Volt - Wife's daily driver

Reply #4
Going to check for spark now - daughter just came home so I have an extra set of hands

Reply #5
Got her started but now she doesn't want to idle for more than a minute before dying -
even after I let her warm up to 4 bars on the temp gauge.

She'll stay running as long as I keep giving her gas and keep the RPMs at 1100-1200.
Mechanic put in a new TPS when I had her inspected 2 weeks ago.

Just pulled and cleaned the IAC - killed the battery trying to start - charging battery now.

Reply #6
Is it efi, or carbed?

Did the mechanic test or set the voltage on the TPS?

You can also test the IAC...

And did you pull any codes?
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #7
As long as the tps has input, even if its out of range, the computer doesn't need it to keep running. The tfi and pip should be swapped together, but can cause other issues. The tfi wil also overheat, if bad. Generally it takes several "tests" to make heat up enough to fail. I also general find the tfi to cause intermittent starting more often then not at all.

What would help us help you the most is codes, and shouldn't need to do much else without at least working to your problem.

Here is a site to help you run codes.

http://oldfuelinjection.com/?p=13
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com