Skip to main content
Topic: quiet ler wanted!!! (Read 2573 times) previous topic - next topic

quiet ler wanted!!!

the 88 tc/auto i just bought, has a factory cat, and some sort of flowmaster on it. boy does this thing DRONE at cruising speed. I gotta dump the flowmaster. any suggestions on a good ler thats quiet without sacrificing performance?
-pete
july/88 turbo coupe auto

quiet ler wanted!!!

Reply #1
I'm running a stainless 3" Dynomax and I love it!
...and there was light!

quiet ler wanted!!!

Reply #2
Warlock.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

quiet ler wanted!!!

Reply #3
I've heard good things about the Dynomax VT.
88 Cougar LS 5.0 .030 over, ported E7s with GT40 valves & trickflow springs, Proform roller rockers, HO cam, removed air silencer, K&N filter, smog pump delete, 2.25" dual flowmasters, Pacestter H-pipe & headers, HO computer, 65mm TB, Explorer intake, 19# injecters, 3.45s, rebuilt posi, and TCI shift kit.

quiet ler wanted!!!

Reply #4
Quote from: vinnietbird;386786
Warlock.

I just put a set of these on my Mark VIII... Such an incredible sound and pretty much drone-less. I love them.
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

quiet ler wanted!!!

Reply #5
Quote from: vinnietbird;386786
Warlock.

your cars description says you have dynomax stainless lers, are these different that warlock?    i havent heard of that brand
-pete
july/88 turbo coupe auto

quiet ler wanted!!!

Reply #6
Quote from: ramair351;386820
your cars description says you have dynomax stainless lers, are these different that warlock?    i havent heard of that brand

They're made by Flowtech. They are a turbo-style ler with bypasses. Bypasses closed they have such a great sound. Quiet at idle and cruise but sounds mean when you get on it. You can uncap the bypasses to run wide open for track runs or general mayhem. I couldn't be happier with them.

http://www.holley.com/50552FLT.asp
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

quiet ler wanted!!!

Reply #7
i talked to the er shop today. they suggested a resonator and a dynomax turbo ler to quench the droning sound. i have an appointment next week
-pete
july/88 turbo coupe auto

quiet ler wanted!!!

Reply #8
If you are redoing it all, it would be a great performance boost to go to a complete 3 inch exhaust.
...and there was light!

quiet ler wanted!!!

Reply #9
Quote from: ramair351;386993
i talked to the er shop today. they suggested a resonator and a dynomax turbo ler to quench the droning sound. i have an appointment next week

[COLOR="teal"]I think these are a great choice of ler parts. you should totally consider this.[/COLOR]

quiet ler wanted!!!

Reply #10
3" Down pipe in to a 3" cat reduced to 2 1/2 all the way back single and one resonator and you are DUN!!! This makes some real HP on the dyne. The  cat will make it nice and quiet and the resonator will kill the resonance if desired. I normally dont use a resonator . But to quiet it down more that is the least restrictive exhaust component. Turbo lers restrict like crazy. That is why they are dubbed turbo lers. Turbo chargers restrict the exhaust. Hence the name turbo ler.  Just me you know i could be wrong again!!!
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

quiet ler wanted!!!

Reply #11
I don't know why they're called turbo lers, but I know that they have they have flow tubes that are equal in size to the inlet/outlet bushings, so that when you look inside one there is no size reduction from the throat to the back wall.  They typically also don't force all the exhaust to flow through the packing.  Some even have bends inside to smooth flow from one tube into the next.  While I'll agree that they are restrictive, they are certainly less so that conventional lers.  When choosing one, you have to know that 2 tube turbo lers are loud, and 3 tube turbo lers are not (relatively speaking).
I have Dynomax Super Turbos on my SHO, and from the inside, I hear the intake more that the exhaust.

quiet ler wanted!!!

Reply #12
Quote from: ramair351;386778
the 88 tc/auto i just bought, has a factory cat, and some sort of flowmaster on it. boy does this thing DRONE at cruising speed. I gotta dump the flowmaster. any suggestions on a good ler thats quiet without sacrificing performance?

well i fixed most of the drone. i welded up a 2 inch hole on the backside of the flowmaster.  i still need an exhaust eventually, thanks for the suggestions
-pete
july/88 turbo coupe auto

quiet ler wanted!!!

Reply #13
i am going in for an exhaust system tomorrow.  i am removing the cat, do you think i need a resonator with a magnaflow ler?
-pete
july/88 turbo coupe auto

quiet ler wanted!!!

Reply #14
With a Magnaflow, yes.  The Magnaflow ler is itself a glorified resonator; straight through, no chambers, no louvers, no baffles.  If you're looking for quiet, you're barking up the wrong tree.  If you do go with a Magnaflow and a resonator, I always recommend to place the resonator in the straight section of the tailpipe alongside the trunk well.  Also, if you're there anyway, go bigger.  These guys say 3", but even 2 1/2 will make a difference.  I used to bend pipe in Muskegon, at what used to be Tuffy (Apple and Getty) the owner dropped the franchise a few years back so now as far as I know it's called Darren's. Who are you going to see?