Skip to main content
Topic: Door Speakers (Read 2133 times) previous topic - next topic

Door Speakers

My 87 T-Bird 3.8 V-6 still has the factory electronic radio/cassette w/dolby (not the premium sound) and 4 speakers 2-dash and 2-rear shelf. System still sound good occasionally I run my portable CD through the casette with an adaptor. I noticed in the doors behind the map pocket there is an opening for a speaker with a grill. Does anyone know if there is wiring in place to install door speakers and give the car 6-speaker sound or do I have to wire it my self? FYI the car is equipted with power windows, locks, mirrors and drivers seat.

Re: Door Speakers

Reply #1
My 84 GS is bare bones, doesn't have power door locks or windows, but yet it still had the wiring for the speakers, so my educated guess would be that yes the wiring will be for the speakers.

Reply #2
I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with you there, Alex.  My '84 was barebones too  and  it had NO wiring going from the door to the body of the car!

Reply #3
I think my 88 is somewhere in the middle. I don't remember wiring going into the door, but I do remember a plug behind the kick panel for the door wiring to connect to. I have vague recollections of having to make a jumper or something to make it all work, but it also came with one dash speaker's wires cut and generic wire run instead, which could explain the jumper. It was a thousand years ago, and my brain isn't what it used to was.
Death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth.

1988 5.0 Bird, mostly stock, partly not, now gone to T-Bird heaven.
1990 Volvo 740GL. 114 tire-shredding horsies, baby!

Reply #4
My two 86's (One gs with only two options, One was the 5.0, the other was the elaactrick dash. mauel windows locks seats everything, The other one was an LS with lots of options but no door speakers or anything) had both the speakers and the wireing, But the two were not put together. They are not that spiffy if that is what you are looking for. $100 at wallmart will make ya happy as long as you have an aftermarket deck and decent wireing. As far as I can tell the door speakers share with the front two anyways.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #5
MFrank,
Back when I had my '87 LX T-bird with non-Premium sound, it had the grilles in the door panels for door speakers, but there were no factory speakers, BUT the wires were there.  I yanked the panels one day and put some Pioneer 5.25's in, spliced into the factory wiring, and I was good to go.  They were connected to the deck already.  That was my experience.

Fordman3

Reply #6
the wires should be there, i didnt use the factory wiring, but its there
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #7
88 TC, factory door speakers, 3-way 6x9's in the rear with a 10" MTX and a 12" MTX  and a 1000 watt amp, JVC mp3-cd player.. it thumps :D

Reply #8
I had my door speaker panel off today to take a look see again. I can't find any trace of the speaker harness anywhere. I traced what harness was there. I know there were 4, 1 to the door armrest light, one to the power mirror, one to the door locks, and one to the power windows. This is on an 87 T-bird LX, so unless the harness is hiding somewhere, i'd say it exists on some cars and not on others (which I think is the general consensus).
Temporarily Foxless? Ride the Bull...

Reply #9
check to see if it is tucked behind the kick panel. Also if it still dosent work, just tap it off of the front speakers. I think that is how it is set up anyways
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com