Skip to main content
Topic: Am I a dumbbutt?? (Read 1772 times) previous topic - next topic

Am I a dumbbutt??

Am I stupid for paying $99 dollars for a 88 Cougar headlight?:punchballs:

I feel like a fool, but I figure I gotta get them while I can.

Green sales wanted alot more than that, and an obsolete part house was crazy priced also.

Just wondering.  I already had the other side.  New headlights look so amazing though.:bowdown:
Mike

Am I a dumbbutt??

Reply #1
A little haha ... but if we weren't we'd be driving stangs'.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Am I a dumbbutt??

Reply #2
Sounds like a good deal to me.
1986 Mercury Cougar - 2.3T/T5 swap, TC brakes and suspension and rearend, 3" exhaust, 255 lph fuel pump, Stinger BOV, Gillis MBC @ 18 psi
2003 Chevy Suburban Z71 - Daily driver
2015 Chevy Volt - Wife's daily driver

Am I a dumbbutt??

Reply #3
Cheaper than a NOS for the 88 birds!
...and there was light!

Am I a dumbbutt??

Reply #4
I bought a NOS set on Ebay a few months ago for $60/each.  So you paid more, but not out of the ballpark . . .
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Am I a dumbbutt??

Reply #5
If you wait and look around long enough, yeah you'll find 'em cheaper. Yeah, members here have sold perfect or near-perfect ones for significantly less. But if it's there, right now, take the opportunity, as you did. Definitely still a DEAL as has been said. Find a dealership that has some old stock by chance. By chance of course I mean 640 million dollar lottery chance LOL. And watch them say "$250 each". And it'll only get worse.
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Am I a dumbbutt??

Reply #6
Someone should get into casting or forming new lenses, both Cougars and Tbirds...

I'd do it, but lack of space and knowledge of how to do it are my roadblocks.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Am I a dumbbutt??

Reply #7
I'd like to see if any retail-available UV hardcoats are available. I've got a couple crummy sets, the originals of my red and silver cars, I could sit there take them apart wet sand everything, buff it especially in the corners of the lens where yellowing tends to first start...but then you might be through that hardcoat. You would just need the spray and any applicable adhesion promoter or something. Maybe this will start to happen in the future, you turn in your core and it's "refurbished". Definitely would be fun to do on the side.
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Am I a dumbbutt??

Reply #8
What do you guys do to keep your lens and the adhesive from yellowing. 

My current driver set looks great, but the yellowing adhesive kinda takes away from it.
Mike

Am I a dumbbutt??

Reply #9
Quote from: nbzimmer;385847
I bought a NOS set on Ebay a few months ago for $60/each.  So you paid more, but not out of the ballpark . . .

I got one side from him for $60 something, he raised the price on his new auction to $99.:flip:
Mike

Am I a dumbbutt??

Reply #10
I would say you got lucky, not stupid
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Am I a dumbbutt??

Reply #11
Quote from: mcb82gt;385896
I got one side from him for $60 something, he raised the price on his new auction to $99.:flip:

I guess he got smart and realized he could get more out of them.  I know if they were $99 when I saw them I still might have gone for it.  I also got some new inner lenses.  Now I'm just hoping to stumble across the outer ones so everything will match.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Am I a dumbbutt??

Reply #12
If this was a brand new, unused OEM light, then no you did not pay too much.  I found one once in the box for $10 because the owner of the salvage yard had zero clue as to what he had.  It took 2 years to find it's mate.  I ponied up and paid considerably more than what you did.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Am I a dumbbutt??

Reply #13
Quote from: ZondaC12;385853
Find a dealership that has some old stock by chance. By chance of course I mean 640 million dollar lottery chance LOL. And watch them say "$250 each". And it'll only get worse.

i just bought a NOS LH side headlamp from a dealership in PA for $49. they are still out there
-pete
july/88 turbo coupe auto

Am I a dumbbutt??

Reply #14
Ive got NOS perfect inners and headlights now.  Its the outers that seem to be thwarting me.

Im not sure I want the put the perfect lights on...... Im afraid a bug will hit them.
Mike