Skip to main content
Topic: Grumpy dies (Read 651 times) previous topic - next topic

Grumpy dies

WILLIAM TYLER JENKINS HAS DIED. One of the greatest minds in 1320 racing and one of the best engines builders in history. I used to talk with him from time to time and i am going to miss him. GOD REST HIS SOUL.

This is for you BILL

:burnout:
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Grumpy dies

Reply #1
http://www.squidoo.com/Pro-Stock-Legend-Bill-Grumpy-Jenkins

I guess GRUMPYS TOY is staging at the gates of heaven.

I guess he is staging GRUMPYS TOY AT THE GATES OF HEAVEN AS WE SPEAK. I  am very sad right now

William Tyler "Grumpy" Jenkins (born 1930) (died March 29th 2012) is an engine builder and retired drag racer. Between 1965 and 1975 he won a total of thirteen NHRA drag races.[1] Jenkins raced in the clutchless planetary gear transmission era. Most of these wins were won with a manually shifted four speed transmission. In 1972 he recorded 250 straight runs without missing a gear shift.[1]
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

Grumpy dies

Reply #2
Wow, sorry to hear that.

Wasn't he at the Barrett Jackson auctions in Scottsdale a couple of months ago?
Matt
1984 Thunderbird - 89 302 HO, GT40 heads w/ Trick Flow springs, E303 cam, Edelbrock Performer 289 intake and 600 cfm 4bbl, Mustang headers, Jegs o/r H pipe, Dynomax lers, Mustang AOD and shifter, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, 3G alternator, Mustang front and rear sway bars, KYB 87-88 Turbo Coupe shocks and struts, and 11" front brakes.

1988 Mustang GT - GT40 heads, Explorer intake, 70mm throttle body, 70mm MAF, Crane 1.7 rrs, E303 cam, Kirban Kwik shifter w/ Pro 5.0 deluxe handle, aluminum clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster, o/r h pipe, Dynomax lers, 3G alternator, aluminum radiator, and 3.27 gears.

1986 Cougar 5.0, 1989 Mark VII LSC 5 speed, 1980 Mercury Zephyr 4 door (sold)

Grumpy dies

Reply #3
Meeting this guy in person was on my bucket list, R.I.P. Mr. Jenkins
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My Bebe! 1980 Thunderbird, 302 & AOD are the only option boxes checked

Grumpy dies

Reply #4
He was a straight no BS GUY when it came to cars.

Grumpy dies

Reply #5
boooo :( i hate hearing of any racer/builder dying.. the man will truly live on as a legend, no doubt about that!
ShadowMSC.com < < Still Under Construction

R.I.P. 'Zump' 8/29/86 - 11/11/11
3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver