Skip to main content
Topic: Valvetrain Noise (Read 2431 times) previous topic - next topic

Valvetrain Noise

Are Vinnie and I the only ones here who are dealing with a noisy valvetrain?  Vinnie and I have almost identical engines.  We both have properly adjusted, but noisy valvetrains too.  Are we the only ones here with this problem?
William

Valvetrain Noise

Reply #1
What motor do you have? Do you have roller lifters or Mechanical or Flat  tappet? Also what kind of rocker arms are you using? Is it noise all the time or when cold or hot ?

Valvetrain Noise

Reply #2
It's a 5.0 with GT40P heads, a TFS "Stage 1" cam, Crane dual valve springs, OEM non adjustable rockers (for now), Explorer upper/lower.  The cam is a hyd roller.  When the engine is cold, you can't hear any noise.  When the engine is at full operating temperature, you can hear the sewing machine sound from my rockers when the engine is not under load.  The engine is fresh, with less than 50K miles on it.  For some reason, this "sewing machine effect" is very common in engines where a stage 1 cam has been swapped in. 

The sound is the same across all the rockers.  It's not just one rocker doing it.  I verified that I'm using the correct length push rods and the rockers are hitting the valve tips nice and centered.  All my lifters have the proper amount of preload (around .040"). I checked to see if the rockers clear the valve springs and valve covers and they do.  The engine is making good oil pressure too.  The only thing I can figure, is that my lifters are bleeding down because of the Crane dual valve springs I'm running.  The springs don't have insane seat pressure. (115 lbs closed and 305 lbs open if I remember correctly).  The only thing I can figure is that Crane springs are making them bleed down for some reason.  Before I assembled the engine, I took the lifters apart, cleaned them and then inspected them.  Everything checked out.

Vinnie went as far as having his machine shop go through his set up to verify everything was right.  Everything on his valvetrain checked out fine he said, but he too still has the dreaded sewing machine sound too.  I've probably read over 25 threads on various forums where guys have done everything under the sun to get rid of their sewing machine sound issue.  They've had machine shops and really good mechanics check out their engines.  They've experimented with more lifter preload and less lifter preload but the sound didn't go away.  I've seen several cases of guys replacing lifters, trying longer push rods, shorter push rods and even new rockers.  Still no dice.  I just don't understand it.
William

Valvetrain Noise

Reply #3
What valve covers are you running? The stock HO valve covers le quite a bit of noise, as do most cast aluminum valve covers. Some other valve covers amplify the noise the valve train makes, like stamped steel valve covers. If everything is set up right I really wouldn't worry about the noise.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Valvetrain Noise

Reply #4
I've got the factory cast aluminum ones 5.0 stangs come with.
William

Valvetrain Noise

Reply #5
throw some CD2 in it, the black bottle, i believe.. it should mellow out the chatter a bit.. says right on the bottle 'for noisy valvetrains' or something of the sort.. works wonders on POS dodge 4.7's
ShadowMSC.com < < Still Under Construction

R.I.P. 'Zump' 8/29/86 - 11/11/11
3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

Valvetrain Noise

Reply #6
I never have been a fan of using oil additives.  There's alway a trade-off for using them.
William

Valvetrain Noise

Reply #7
eh, not really with the CD2.. it's even compatible with full synthetic

3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

Valvetrain Noise

Reply #8
There is no such thing as a miracle in a bottle Chris.  There are quite a few guys out there who have tried your product and said it didn't work.  It's not a good idea to go dumping a product like that into your engine that oil manufacturers never intended to be used with their oil.  Bad things can happen if you do that.
William

Valvetrain Noise

Reply #9
don't talk smack on my marvel mystery oil! lol that stuff works wonders for junky oil pumps

Valvetrain Noise

Reply #10
Lol.  That's funny.  :)
William

Valvetrain Noise

Reply #11
it's true.. and CD2 shuts junky 4.7 mopars up lol

Valvetrain Noise

Reply #12
Your seat pressures sound OK and what oil are you using and what is your oil pressure. I mean with a gauge hooked up and worm at idle??? How many turns do you get from ZERO LASH to seat everything. Are the lifters New and who makes them???  Did you check rocker to retainer clearance and through the entire cycle. Also did you check retainer to seal clearance??? just curious
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Valvetrain Noise

Reply #13
Quote from: TOM Renzo;385209
Your seat pressures sound OK and what oil are you using and what is your oil pressure. I mean with a gauge hooked up and worm at idle??? How many turns do you get from ZERO LASH to seat everything. Are the lifters New and who makes them???  Did you check rocker to retainer clearance and through the entire cycle. Also did you check retainer to seal clearance??? just curious

I'm running 10W30 Quaker State Dino oil right now since the engine has fewer than 50 miles on it.  I'm running about 35-40 psi of oil pressure at idle.  I all my rocker bolts reached torque spec at between 1/2 turn and 3/4 turn.  The lifters are OEM Ford hyd rollers with close to 100k miles on them.  I took them apart when assembling the engine, cleaned them and inspected them.  They looked surprisingly good.  I did check rocker to retainer clearance and there was no contact.  I didn't check retainer to seal clearance.  Since I running 1.6 ratio rockers with a cam that only produces .499" of lift, I'd hope the retainers wouldn't be bottomoning out on me.  The machine shop that prepped the heads verified spring pressure and installed height meet the requirements Trick Flow calls for when you use their cam.  I'd hope that would mean I'm ok.

The strangest thing about this sewing machine sound all the rockers make, is that it is non existant when the engine is cold.  It only happens when the engine is fully warmed up and not under load.  The engine runs  strong though.  No complaints there.
William

Valvetrain Noise

Reply #14
1988 lx bought from orgineral owner 159000 klm  switched over to Royal Purple 5000 k ago, Now engine has become top end noisy. I think I screwed a good engine, should have stayed with conventional oil. First time I have every replyed to a blog so please forgive me if this is the Wrong way to go about things.         
                                                                                                                            John M