Skip to main content
Topic: where the #*%@ is the horn button? (Read 3351 times) previous topic - next topic

where the #*%@ is the horn button?

ok so i am parting out my 84 TC as some of you may know. while taking it apart, i discovered that the steering wheel does not have a horn button. there are no provisions for it and the center "button" just twists on and locks. there are also no wires in the column for it. i figured it was just a wierd option or something and has no horn, but while taking the nose off i found the actual horns... WTF?!
Currently Birdless but never Foxless

86 Mustang GT

Reply #1
sounds to me like someone molested that column at 1 point in time
ShadowMSC.com < < Still Under Construction

R.I.P. 'Zump' 8/29/86 - 11/11/11
3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

Reply #2
there isnt even provisions in the steering wheel though

86 Mustang GT

Reply #3
I have an '83 Zepher and to honk the horn, you push in toward the column on the turn signal switch. Maybe that's it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]      STEVE ;)

Reply #4
if thats it i guess i better hold onto that stalk since i plan to put this wheel in the 89 i am buying

86 Mustang GT

Reply #5
That's what I was thinking. The turn signal switch should have a pic of a horn on it with an arrow pointing inward.

Reply #6
Quote from: Blackbird1;385061
I have an '83 Zepher and to honk the horn, you push in toward the column on the turn signal switch. Maybe that's it.

This is how my '80 T-Birds are, always trips people out
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My Bebe! 1980 Thunderbird, 302 & AOD are the only option boxes checked

Reply #7
My 84 has 2 horn buttons, one on the turn signal stalk and one on the steering wheel.

2002 Honda Civic EX

1984 Ford Thunderbird Elan
5.0 CFI, T5, Dual Exhaust

Reply #8
Yeah, putting the horn button on the turn signal switch was one of Ford's "Better Ideas" back then, just like TRX tires...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #9
I activate my horn with the turn signal lever also !!!
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.
:birdsmily: :birdsmily: :birdsmily::birdsmily: 
  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
:birdsmily: :birdsmily: :birdsmily::birdsmily:
1983 base model,1969 302 (originally a v6),upraded c5,currently 30,441 original miles.

Reply #10
Quote from: Thunder Chicken;385084
Yeah, putting the horn button on the turn signal switch was one of Ford's "Better Ideas" back then, just like TRX tires...
This sounds like a post for my thread "Engineers what do they know ?" ! lol. In an emergency the turn signal switch would be snapped like a twig.

Reply #11
Quote from: homer simpson
...and i want a horn here, and here, and here! You can never find the horn when you're mad!
:d
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #12
Quote from: dragon574444;385081
My 84 has 2 horn buttons, one on the turn signal stalk and one on the steering wheel.

yah, mine isnt like that wheel. mine is almost like a flattened out Grant steering wheel. metal "K" shaped frame and leather wrapped

86 Mustang GT

Reply #13
Does anyone have ones of these do switches that they would part with? I just bought an 86 Mustang and really want to use this steering wheel in it. Yes, I have held onto it that long.

86 Mustang GT

Reply #14
My 83 cougar has one, but its currently in use. I could check the yards around me next time i go junking.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com