Skip to main content
Topic: Just picked up our new project vehicle (56k warning!) (Read 2166 times) previous topic - next topic

Just picked up our new project vehicle (56k warning!)

My family is inheriting a 1970 Jeep CJ5 that belonged to my wife's grandmother.  I have only seen it once or twice (in a dark garage) and don't know much about it other than it was supposedly parked due to a bad starter about 30 years ago and hasn't been driven since.  My wife's brother tried to get it going a couple of years ago but I think he just made things worse by taking things apart and possibly losing parts. 

I don't really have a choice in this as my wife's grandmother's house is getting sold and the Jeep will need to go somewhere.  My wife has always wanted this Jeep as it has sentimental value for her.  She has agreed to do some of the wrenching on this thing (she doesn't work on stuff) so this should be fun.

Here are some pics from a couple of years ago...

1986 Mercury Cougar - 2.3T/T5 swap, TC brakes and suspension and rearend, 3" exhaust, 255 lph fuel pump, Stinger BOV, Gillis MBC @ 18 psi
2003 Chevy Suburban Z71 - Daily driver
2015 Chevy Volt - Wife's daily driver

Reply #1
Nice!
What engine is in it?

I learned to drive in a CJ....great stuff.
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #2
looks like it's fairly solid.. how are the floor pans?
ShadowMSC.com < < Still Under Construction

R.I.P. 'Zump' 8/29/86 - 11/11/11
3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

Reply #3
It has the 225 V6.  I don't know about the floors, I have actually never seen the thing out in the daylight.
1986 Mercury Cougar - 2.3T/T5 swap, TC brakes and suspension and rearend, 3" exhaust, 255 lph fuel pump, Stinger BOV, Gillis MBC @ 18 psi

Reply #4
CJ5's are awesome.  They look like life sized Hot Wheels to me, especially with bigger rubber.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #5
Looks like a great project!
...and there was light!

Reply #6
Looks like a fun project, I always liked older CJ's
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My Bebe! 1980 Thunderbird, 302 & AOD are the only option boxes checked

Reply #7
We went and picked up the Jeep this weekend.  I am not too thrilled about the condition it is in.  I can't believe how it can be in such bad shape even though it was only a little over 10 years old when it stopped being used and it has been in a closed garage ever since.  The weird thing is that it was already super rusty when they parked it.  I picked up the matting on the floor and there was plywood under it to cover the holes in the floorboards.  The hardtop and doors were stolen and sold for s by some people that my wife's parent's were letting live (rent free) in the house.  My wife understands that it may not be worth it to sink money into this thing.  I am going to at least try to get it running and we will go from there.

Does anybody have any suggestions on things to do to bring and old engine back to life?  I plan on changing all fluids, cleaning the carb, and squirting some kind of lubricant in the cylinders to help them free up.

On to the pics...

Reply #8
what are the plans for the old girl?

Reply #9
Somebody must have spent some serious cash to get those tires back then.

Dig the Firestone Wide Oval as the spare. That rig is a total time-warp, but it's been through its share of nonsense. It would be too much of a project for me.

I never knew Motorola made alternators.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #10
Look around Cl and ebay....you'll be surprised at what they go for.

If you decide to sell it, the plant engineer where I work is really looking for a CJ to wrench on...he knows his stuff, he's got a coupla Porches and an older Pontiac T/A with a nice 455...he's no hack n slash shadetree guy.

In short, decide carefully if you want to sell it, older ones with potential are harder than hell to find. You wouldn't believe how many times I've been asked about my dad's CJ7...
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #11
The plan is to get it running and slowly fix it up some.  We aren't looking to make it perfect (or even close) and will probably only drive it occasionally.  Selling it would be a last resort since it would probably piss off the wife's family.

I have seen some of the prices that these things go for and was pretty shocked.

Reply #12
Diggin the 80's blue license plate.

Good luck with the Jeep.
Mike

Reply #13
Looks like Granny was quite a gal.

Reply #14
Pull the V6 and chuck it.  Or, better yet, throw it out in the yard and chain a big, mean looking dog to it.  I'm not very familiar with the popular V8's for these, but get one.  Resist any urge to install a 350.  With old Jeeps, rust and faded paint are part of the charm, just make sure it's safe.