Skip to main content
Topic: Flowmaster catback........argh!! (Read 2159 times) previous topic - next topic

Flowmaster catback........argh!!

I spent some time last night fighting with a 2.5" Flowmaster catback system that I bought for the bird.  It's a used set from a Fox'stang LX.  I could not get anything into place without rubbing or touching somewhere.

And the flow tubes.....how much did anyone have to extend them to make the system work??
1988 T-Bird Sport Coupe--5.0 HO, MAF swap, 1-5/8" shorties, BBK/Flowmaster exhaust, Explorer intake, 70mm Edelbrock TB, T5, B&M short throw, Centerforce clutch and PP, disc brake TC rear w/ 3.55's, TC front brakes, '98 Cobra springs, DIY SFC's, other misc .  14.05 @ 98mph with launching too low and shifting too high.

Reply #1
12" if your talking about the piece you need to lengthen them for our cars.
O2 sensors need 12" more wire also. (if you changed that)
If you are adding to the tips to lengthen them, I don't know how much, I kept them short as seen in my sig
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #2
My BBK H-pipe is fine....it fits great.  The FM catback has what I assumed were the flow tubes attached to the front of the lers.  With everything in position it looks like I would only need to add a few inches.  But with the lers hooked to the LX style tails, there is very little room to move anything around.  Also the angle for them H to meet the tails is off.  Thinking of just shortening the attached flow tubes to move the lers forward and installing turn down ahead of the rear end.

With the tails attached they would be in position like yours.  What did you do for hangers?
1988 T-Bird Sport Coupe--5.0 HO, MAF swap, 1-5/8" shorties, BBK/Flowmaster exhaust, Explorer intake, 70mm Edelbrock TB, T5, B&M short throw, Centerforce clutch and PP, disc brake TC rear w/ 3.55's, TC front brakes, '98 Cobra springs, DIY SFC's, other misc .  14.05 @ 98mph with launching too low and shifting too high.

Reply #3
When I installed my Magnaflow catback, the only thing I lengthened were the tailpipes, even used all the stock rubber hangers. :)
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Reply #4
Quote from: cougarman;384013
.......even used all the stock rubber hangers. :)

My car only has one y hanger on the pass side at the back.  It's a factory Sport....did they come with only a single pipe?

Reply #5
No the Sports had two tailpipes. :)
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Reply #6
I used universal hangers in the rear. the pipes I had were for a GT.. Everything seemed short, and added about 12' after the lers to get the pipes to fit over the rear end. After about 2 days of fighting with it, I said I was done, and kept the tail pipes where they are now. I'm ok with them being short. I see everyone else with the added tail pipes and it looks real long for some reason. Maybe it's just me. They angle down, so it's not so bad, at least in my opinion
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

Reply #7
Ok.....so you added AFTER the lers.  I'll look into that.

Reply #8
Quote from: daminc;384025
I used universal hangers in the rear. the pipes I had were for a GT.. Everything seemed short, and added about 12' after the lers to get the pipes to fit over the rear end. After about 2 days of fighting with it, I said I was done, and kept the tail pipes where they are now. I'm ok with them being short. I see everyone else with the added tail pipes and it looks real long for some reason. Maybe it's just me. They angle down, so it's not so bad, at least in my opinion

Post some pics if you get time at some point.  I am deciding this also.
Mike

Reply #9
I didn't take many pics...I will get a few later today

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #10
It appears as though your exhaust hangs much lower than I had mine positioned.

Reply #11
Daminc, could you show a picture of how your hangers are attached to your lers?  My old hangers rusted off and I am going to need some new ideas on how to get them reattached.  I can't remember how they are hung from the factory. Thanks! Tim

In regards to extending the tails, I was never impressed with the job that was done to my Dynomax Mustang LX tails on my Cougar 10 years ago, they welded to the tails then welded the tips onto the extension, to me it sticks out like a sore thumb; especially after the tips started to rust.  Sounds good though, I used  BBK unequal lenght shorty headers, a Pacesetter 2 1/2 H-pipe, mustang flowtubes that had to be extended, Flowmaster 2 chambers and the Dynomax, 2 1/2 mandrel bent tails.

Reply #12
I only have the hangers on the transmission crossmember, and the rear hangers on the tailpipes.. the rears are bolted to the frame
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #13
I have the hangers in front of the rear axle assembly, and the rear ones that are bolted to the frame as Daminc stated. Although, my rear hangers are a lot higher due to the way my tail pipes were raised.No wiggles. Tight set up.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #14
maybe I'm missing some hangers then..... I did cut everything off the bottom of my car when it got  fixed...including the E-brake cable mounts.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook