Skip to main content
Topic: busted my back ouch.......... (Read 1397 times) previous topic - next topic

busted my back ouch..........

So Feb the 15th I woke up with my normal back pain but worse, I finally got to sleep(lots of pain) woke up the next morning walked around back pain was gone leg was numb, waited a few days went to see the Dr he said I think its a herniated disc. Took the medicine 1 week later went back same leg pain when I walk or stand. He sends me to physical therapy, we do a few things pain still bad she tell me to get an mri. I get the mri yesterday it looks really bad to me(not Dr.)lol I send it to my dads friend neuro surgeon he tells me to goto the er for emergency surgery. I'm like oh shoot, I go then the surgeon on call he says its the worst rupture he's seen with the person still standing, but since I have such a large spinal cbuttstuff, I'm not g myself. So now I get to decide if I go get the surgery or see if it will heal itself or if it gets worse. This is what it looked like.
1986 T-bird
347 stroker motor
185 AFR Heads
TrickFlow cam 224/232-542/563
Victor Jr. intake CNC ported
Quickfuel Holley 800 cfm
Hooker 1-3/4 long tubes
Custom built AOD
B&M 3000 stall
8.8 w/4.30 gears
UPR K-member,A-Arms,and coil-overs
UPR upper/lower control arms
Strange shocks/struts
26x10x15 M/T slicks
11.48@119.27
(coming soon Tremec 3550)
The Finished Product
http://s174.photobucket.com/albums/w92/03grinnie/T-bird/

Reply #1
1986 T-bird
347 stroker motor
185 AFR Heads
Quickfuel Holley 800 cfm
Hooker 1-3/4 long tubes
Custom built AOD
B&M 3000 stall
8.8 w/4.30 gears
Strange shocks/struts
26x10x15 M/T slicks
11.48@119.27
The Finished Product

Reply #2
That's tough I hope you feel better. I have three blown disks that I've been treating with cotizone shots in the cbuttstuff and between disks. I was told I needed surgery 3 years ago. With core muscle stabilizing and thinking twice about picking up heavy things I've been over two years without major pain or numbness. Occasionally if I over do it ill get the pain in the leg then ill make myself turn to jelly with muscle relaxers to get things straight.
 The doc did say if i couldn't control my blader that it was time to get my a@@ to the hospital.  I
I got third and fourth opinions with a year of chiropractor and PT. 
Best of luck  find the best surgeon get his opinion and then get another one
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]:ford:87 Turbo Coupe through the floor sub frame connectors, 5.8 swap Ford racing heads Harland sharp 1.6 rockers BBK shorty swap headers 2 1/2 BBk X pipe magnaflow ler's. Megasquirt 2 with 36lbs injectors on hurricane intake with 4150 throttle body.Tremec TKO 600 Quicktime blowsheild spec stage 3 clutch. 3.73 gears and still not done

Reply #3
Dude.......you need to get that s@#t fixed before it does even more harm.

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Reply #4
The neuro surgeon said it wasn't causing any long term problems now, but if my leg gets weaker or I piss myself then I really need the surgery, I have 3 kids and I'm 32 I really don't want to have surgery if I don't REALLY need it.
1986 T-bird
347 stroker motor
185 AFR Heads
Quickfuel Holley 800 cfm
Hooker 1-3/4 long tubes
Custom built AOD
B&M 3000 stall
8.8 w/4.30 gears
Strange shocks/struts
26x10x15 M/T slicks
11.48@119.27
The Finished Product

Reply #5
ouch....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #6
DUDE that is a bitch. Hope you and your doctor can decide the proper thing to do. GOD BLESS. I will say a little prayer for you tomorrow at MASS. For what it is worth Take care of your self. I  am getting around normally from Breaking my ACETABULUM last year. I busted it and my pelvis in a hundred places falling from a roof of the shop. I was out of commission for almost a year. Once again God Bless and i hope you get better soon. All the best.
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Reply #7
I feel your pain! I had a herniated/calcified disc in L5-S1 and had to have a laminectomy when I was 30. I started have some irritation again, not quite so severe (I have been able to stand/sit and sleep!) here 2 years ago, had another MRI and was told its re-herniated.  I have not felt it bad enough to have surgery again, but I have been watching my p's and q's also.

Good luck and make sure you can trust your Doctor, you can always get a second opinion.

Reply #8
That sucks! My back/neck aren't the greatest but it's no where near as bad as what you're going through. Defenately get a second opinion before you have surgery.

Reply #9
Definitely get a second opinion, but PLEASE be very carefull. I'd hate to hear that you moved wrong or picked something up (even light) that you shouldn't have and ended up paralyzed. I'm not trying to be all gloom and doom or anything, just worried for you.
My dad broke his back, left shoulder, left knee, shatter his jaw when he fell with a TV tower 40+ yrs ago (he was in his mid-30's as well). They ended up fusing the lower 5 or 6 verts together. All held up till he picked a trailer tongue and broke the fusion. He lived with the possibillty of being paralyzed from even moving wrong but until he passed, he didn't let it slow him down much.
Keep us posted.

John

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Reply #10
MRI is what I do.  That is a very large disc.  It will not heal itself.  It is too large.
Mike

Reply #11
That makes me cringe.  I had a fusion done in my neck, like Peyton Manning, and it wasnt so bad.  It makes the pain much easier to deal with.

Reply #12
I don't know how to read MRIs, but something doesn't look right. LOL
Matt
1984 Thunderbird - 89 302 HO, GT40 heads w/ Trick Flow springs, E303 cam, Edelbrock Performer 289 intake and 600 cfm 4bbl, Mustang headers, Jegs o/r H pipe, Dynomax lers, Mustang AOD and shifter, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, 3G alternator, Mustang front and rear sway bars, KYB 87-88 Turbo Coupe shocks and struts, and 11" front brakes.

1988 Mustang GT - GT40 heads, Explorer intake, 70mm throttle body, 70mm MAF, Crane 1.7 rrs, E303 cam, Kirban Kwik shifter w/ Pro 5.0 deluxe handle, aluminum clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster, o/r h pipe, Dynomax lers, 3G alternator, aluminum radiator, and 3.27 gears.

1986 Cougar 5.0, 1989 Mark VII LSC 5 speed, 1980 Mercury Zephyr 4 door (sold)

Reply #13
Also, if your having any loss of strength in you legs/feet, if you wait too long, that nerve damage can become permanent.
Mike

Reply #14
Well I am doing a lot better, I now am able to walk as long as I want (in sandals) shoes hurt my feet. My physical therapist said the strength in my foot has gone from -3 to a +4 (+5 is the best)over the last week. I can't believe how it just turned around just last Friday I was in the E.R. awaiting surgery, lots of good prayers out there, thanks guys. Went back to the gym yesterday (2nd time in 4 weeks)did my pullups, dips, and pushups and 30min on the bike,  it felt good to have the blood pumping again.lol
1986 T-bird
347 stroker motor
185 AFR Heads
Quickfuel Holley 800 cfm
Hooker 1-3/4 long tubes
Custom built AOD
B&M 3000 stall
8.8 w/4.30 gears