Skip to main content
Topic: 88 sport alternator wiring issue SOLVED!!! (Read 2799 times) previous topic - next topic

88 sport alternator wiring issue SOLVED!!!

I used the 88 sport alternator harness in my 5.0 conversion and for some reason I have no charging system.  I'm not sure if I wired it incorrectly or what the issue is so I am posting here to see if anyone has a wiring diagram or can walk me through the wiring.  Thanks

Reply #1
Heavy lug goes to the starter solenoid with a fuse link. (A) Yellow goes to a constant battery as well. Stock it goes to the solenoid also with a fuse link. (S) goes to (S) and L?G is the battery light.

Does the alt light come on when you key the ignition ON ??? If not the alt wont charge. Hope this helps.
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Reply #4
Make some voltage checks.
The two B+ terminals, top plug in the diagram, should be 12v (hot at all times)
The A terminal, bottom regulator plug, should be 12v (hot at all times)
The I terminal, bottom regulator plug, should be 12v with the key in run.
No need to start the car.

I am guessing you don't have the dash battery light because it was a Turbo.
Let us know what you see.

Reply #5
i think that there is an actual 88evtm page, not much if any difference in the 87 in my diy link / photobucket evtm. good luck and dont catch it on fire!!!!!!!
 we dont want that to happen

ps.. if you can, make sure those fuse link crimps are not looking bad.  Thats all they are is py splices where you see big chunks of rubber.  I redid on recently for a guy here , never had a problem since i assume.

Reply #6
no fires for me...  I will be looking over this carefully once I get a chance.