Skip to main content
Topic: Head Gasket bolts -- tighten or replace (1984, 3.8L) (Read 3818 times) previous topic - next topic

Head Gasket bolts -- tighten or replace (1984, 3.8L)

Am &*^%$#.  Found a small head gasket leak on the drivers side.
(Haystack -- I guess you were right!!!!)

My guess is that it was leaking previously but the engine was burning off the coolant
so leak was not obvious.  Since engine was re-built less than 5000 miles ago
any chance:

!)  I can get away with just re-tightening the head bolts??
2)  If so, my guess is I should loosen -- each one individually, say by two complete turns, and then retorque. 
3)  How about the short ones that need sealant?  Should these be pulled (removed) completely and then checked for sealant or new sealant added  or just do a two turn backoff ?

David

Reply #1
you can not re-torque or re-use headbolts on a 3.8.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #2
if you remove any head bolts, you might as well pull the head and replace the gasket.. removing or loosening any head bolts will compromise the gasket and will be pr0ne to leak even worse.. and as jerry said, the head bolts aren't reusable.. they're 'torque to yield'
ShadowMSC.com < < Still Under Construction

R.I.P. 'Zump' 8/29/86 - 11/11/11
3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

Reply #3
Exactly...do 'er right the first time, save yourself trouble in the long, or would that be a short run lol.

If the engine has gotten hot, might want to have the heads surfaced by a GOOD shop....also there's a better head gasket to use, but can't think of which brand it is right now. Someone more intimate with 3.8s will chime in though.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #4
Fel-Pro.
88 Cougar LS 5.0 .030 over, ported E7s with GT40 valves & trickflow springs, Proform roller rockers, HO cam, removed air silencer, K&N filter, smog pump delete, 2.25" dual flowmasters, Pacestter H-pipe & headers, HO computer, 65mm TB, Explorer intake, 19# injecters, 3.45s, rebuilt posi, and TCI shift kit.

Reply #5
Ford has an up dated gasket. The Bolts are TTY and cant be reused. Pull the head something is wrong!!!

Those engines are known to eat head gaskets.
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Reply #6
The reason I raise the issue is based on the NOTE in the shop manual:

CAJTION: Always use new cylinder head bolts
to assure a leak-tight assembly. Torque
retention with used bolts can vary, which may
result in coolant or compression leakage at the
cylinder head mating surface area.
Tighiten the cylinder head attaching bolts in
sequence as follows:
50 N-m (37 Ib-ft)
60 N-m (45 Ib-ft)
70 N-m (52 Ib-ft)
80 N-m (59 Ib-ft)
Back-off the attaching bolts 2-3 turns.
Repeat Steps a-d.

NOTE: When cylinder head attaching bolts have
been tightened using the above procedure, it is not
neessary to retighten the bolts after extended
engine operation. However, the bolts can be..........<<{THIS IS WHAT I AM REFERRING TO}
checked for tightness if desired.

Nothing is said about if they are not to torque when checked.
Seems klnda ridiculous that you would need to do a new head job if the bolts are loose.

Reply #7
Sure, just torque 'em down to about 100 lb-ft each and call it a day.

Trust me...this ain't something you wanna cheap out on. BT, DT.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #8
who rebuilt the engine 5000 miles ago?

Reply #9
cover your as*.. get ARP bolts, new gaskets and have the heads checked by a machine shop.. i wouldn't recommend going back to the guy who rebuilt the motor, as i remember reading the fiasco with the motor you had before.. using ARP bolts will pay for themselves, as they're reusable and much better quality (times a million!)

3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

Reply #10
Thanks all for input. 

i wouldn't recommend going back to the guy who rebuilt the motor,

I agree.  Same engine.  "Supposedly" did the head bolts twice (drivers side) as I took it back after about 1500 with a leak (drivers side).
Wondering if a new head may help, or if the old Cougar has just reached the end of its life cycle? 

Shadow -- will check into ARP bolts.

Reply #11
Quote from: dw85745;382130
Wondering if a new head may help, or if the old Cougar has just reached the end of its life cycle?

No sense in junking the car over a leaky head gasket and  bolts. If you love the car and have time and $ to fix it.....
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #12
No sense in junking the car over a leaky head gasket and  bolts. If you love the car and have time and $ to fix it.....

Agree.  That's why thinking of doing it myself this time.  Plan to go with ARP studs.
However, sometimes you reach a point in life where the hassle is not worth it.

Reply #13
Question for anyone who has done a 3.8L manifold or head gasket:

1)  Based on the Tech info I am able to gain access to, a number of people reported that 1984 3.8L coolant leaks emanate from the intake manifold to cylinder head joint rather than the head gasket.
This doesn't appear (from my looking) to be my situation, as the leak seems to be coming from around the center of the head gasket looking up from underneath the vehicle.
Anyone else had leaks around this area?

2)  Has anyone tried just retorquing the head bolts to see if it solves the problem? If so, any issues and did it work?

3)  Has anyone tried to replace the head bolts with studs.  If so, what procedure did you use??
a)  Drain cooling system and engine oil
b)  To keep from removing the intake and the cylinder, did anyone try
......-- unloosing all bolts in the reverse in which they were torqued -- maybe two to three turns --
then remove each bolt individually and replace with studs
-- or --
.......--  Completely remove each bolt one at a time and replace with a stud?
-- or  -- Whatever other procedure

Reply #14
removing any head bolts will compromise the gasket.. if it's leaking, just pull it apart and fix it the right way.. no point in half-assing it.. no offense