Skip to main content
Topic: 86 Cougar Trim Bezel (Read 904 times) previous topic - next topic

86 Cougar Trim Bezel

Hey Guys, this is my first time to the forum, hopefully this is posted in the right spot.

I just bought my first car, an '86 Cougar (Convertible).
I am trying to restore it a little bit, seeing some of the rides on here and coolcats.net gave me some inspiration.

The Trim Bezel behind the steering wheel, around the instrument panel, is cracked in many places. I am having a hard time finding a replacement part, although I haven't thoroughly hunted through junk yards. I was hoping to find the part new.

I was wondering if anybody on here might be able to point me to the right place to buy a new one? Or any other model cars that might have the same trim bezel.

Thanks for the help,
Kevin T

86 Cougar Trim Bezel

Reply #1
Hey Kevin, welcome to the board!

New, that's going to be a tall order.
But good used panels are usually found around here. I just checked eBay and didn't find any, but that doesn't mean anything...they show up there frequently.
Personally I don't have any spares but I'm sure someone else here can step up to the plate for you.

You need a 1985-88 Cougar base/LS panel. I believe the Thunderbird LX also had the same panel (woodgrain).

86 Cougar Trim Bezel

Reply #2
I may have a wood grain panel out in the garage.  Will get back with you.  Btw cougar vert pics are a must!!!  Welcome to the forum :-)

86 Cougar Trim Bezel

Reply #3
Wood grain actually would go with the current panel.

86 Cougar Trim Bezel

Reply #4
She has a long way to go...

86 Cougar Trim Bezel

Reply #5
That is very nice! What engine do you have?  I will keep looking for the bezel, I know I have one.

86 Cougar Trim Bezel

Reply #6
Welcome Im sure I have one of each trim bezel. Woodgrain and the brushed one also. If Graham cant hook you up I can

Whaa? out of all the cougar converts Ive seen.... this is the ONLY one that isnt white with a red interior.

Looks really nice!

86 Cougar Trim Bezel

Reply #7
Nice vert! NOS trim gauge surrounds are gonna be htf, but a good used one should be pretty easy to find.
Matt
1984 Thunderbird - 89 302 HO, GT40 heads w/ Trick Flow springs, E303 cam, Edelbrock Performer 289 intake and 600 cfm 4bbl, Mustang headers, Jegs o/r H pipe, Dynomax lers, Mustang AOD and shifter, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, 3G alternator, Mustang front and rear sway bars, KYB 87-88 Turbo Coupe shocks and struts, and 11" front brakes.

1988 Mustang GT - GT40 heads, Explorer intake, 70mm throttle body, 70mm MAF, Crane 1.7 rrs, E303 cam, Kirban Kwik shifter w/ Pro 5.0 deluxe handle, aluminum clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster, o/r h pipe, Dynomax lers, 3G alternator, aluminum radiator, and 3.27 gears.

1986 Cougar 5.0, 1989 Mark VII LSC 5 speed, 1980 Mercury Zephyr 4 door (sold)

86 Cougar Trim Bezel

Reply #8
Ive got one too, if need be.
Mike

86 Cougar Trim Bezel

Reply #9
If no one above can help I have a near mint one. Woodgrain. I've been meaning to add it to my sale ad but haven't yet. I still haven't figured out how to down size pics on this new computer.

86 Cougar Trim Bezel

Reply #11
How much would you be willing to sell the trim for?

It's the v6 engine. I'm pretty sure everything is original. It has a lot of work to do.
I purchased it back in August, from some guy in town. He said it was kind of rare. I didn't really know much about them, and I was just happy to be 16 with a convertible. :)

Now, however, I realized I need to put on a new top... The rear window motors need replaced, I'm currently fixing the driver side window (it came off track or something), the exhaust is totally disconnected from the engine (which results in exhaust coming out right next to the driver side window :) ), and I've already replaced the heater core. That's just what I have found so far...

On the upside, it has only 120,000 miles on it.

86 Cougar Trim Bezel

Reply #12
"Kind of Rare " is quite the understatement
Fox-less at the moment

86 Cougar Trim Bezel

Reply #14
yes, I saw that on your web page. Thanks so much Eric! Your page has been sooo helpful.