Skip to main content
Topic: Tail light restoration (Read 1461 times) previous topic - next topic

Tail light restoration

once upon a time... I saw a thread on here for breaking down the rear tail lights without killing them. Outside of heating them up in the oven, I would like any tips on being successful with the project.

I am polishing the lens on both sides, and filling/smoothing/painting the plastic housing gloss black. I would like to repaint behind the plastic where black once was before if flaked out/ washed out.

So... the search bar did not work... tbird gods, givith a link!

haha thanks guys
1988 T-Bird LX- Awaiting HO build, Monster "Eat My Shift" AOD rated 550Hp. BBK ceramic shorties, Jegs mustang (catless) H-Pipe. mustang catback modified axle back for tbird, 94 17" Cobra wheels, 98 'Stang GT 8.8 Traction-lock

Tail light restoration

Reply #1
Why not use the oven it works great? Just opened up several sets of headlights quickly and easily like that.

The other option would be a heat gun...
...and there was light!

Tail light restoration

Reply #2
Tailights should come apart fairly easily you cant really mess them up other than break the reflectors, but it's all held together by this putty and with a little force they should come apart.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tail light restoration

Reply #3
you mean you have a set that didnt come apart on their own???  why cant I be so lucky? lol

Tail light restoration

Reply #4
I baked the ebay ones I had for my explorer once, didnt work half bad. I just figured something 23 years old would have some finesse to it

I've never seen a rear lens pop off, but have personally had my headlights fall off!
1988 T-Bird LX- Awaiting HO build, Monster "Eat My Shift" AOD rated 550Hp. BBK ceramic shorties, Jegs mustang (catless) H-Pipe. mustang catback modified axle back for tbird, 94 17" Cobra wheels, 98 'Stang GT 8.8 Traction-lock

Tail light restoration

Reply #5
My rear lights just pulled apart when I did mine about 2 years ago.

Tail light restoration

Reply #6
Where can I get the little nuts that holds them together?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]:ford:87 Turbo Coupe through the floor sub frame connectors, 5.8 swap Ford racing heads Harland sharp 1.6 rockers BBK shorty swap headers 2 1/2 BBk X pipe magnaflow ler's. Megasquirt 2 with 36lbs injectors on hurricane intake with 4150 throttle body.Tremec TKO 600 Quicktime blowsheild spec stage 3 clutch. 3.73 gears and still not done