Skip to main content
Topic: Hood cable, door hinges? (Read 626 times) previous topic - next topic

Hood cable, door hinges?

I snapped the black car's hood cable shrotly after I bought it. :toilet::rollin: Gee. It's hard to pull, lets just ham-fist it instead of figuring out why. Anyone have one? Do they interchange with anything?

And while I still have the fender off the red one (don't know why I even did that. Wasn't necessary...) the door hinges are so easy to access, so I gotta change 'em, and I ain't doin those pin replacements with the cotter pin, no it's gotta have that permanent rivteted look LOL.
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Hood cable, door hinges?

Reply #1
I've found that the hood cables for our cars are getting scarce as well.
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Hood cable, door hinges?

Reply #2
I looked at it quick, I'm wondering if it could be "repaired"...right now there's an MN-12 one on ebay, if the handle is the same or similar, and if it's at least long enough, there's a cylindrical piece clamped on the end that pulls on the latch. I feel like one could weld something up or likewise, clamp a chunk of metal around the cable. I'd definitely try it.
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Hood cable, door hinges?

Reply #3
I'm pretty sure I have an unbroken and intact hood release cable somewhere. As I recall, it's once piece from the handle to the ball-end of the cable (for the latch). I will look into it tonight.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hood cable, door hinges?

Reply #4
Found it. It's definitely a Fox hood-release cable. Unbroken handle and mounting piece. The hood latch is still attached to it, even. Send me a PM if you're interested.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hood cable, door hinges?

Reply #5
Do you still need the door hinges? If so I'll check for play on them and if they're okay I'll pull them for you.

Hood cable, door hinges?

Reply #6
SN95 Mustang cables work perfectly.  I've had one in the cat for a few years now.  THey mount nicely too with a little work.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Hood cable, door hinges?

Reply #7
cragar if Zonda does not take the hood cable I might be interested in it
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Hood cable, door hinges?

Reply #8
I've got a hood cable and door hinges on my parts car I could sell.

Hood cable, door hinges?

Reply #9
Buying cragar's hood cable.

I found a set of hinges on ebay...they were misrepresented. I don't know who the hell wants hinges that are worn out, whatever. They are refunding me, props to 'em.

Found ANOTHER set, cheaper actually, described as being perfect. They should be here Thursday. I'll update, thanks for the offers jpc and 1bad88! Interesting about the SN95 cable. I figured there had to be something that would fit.

Hood cable, door hinges?

Reply #10
For what it's worth, I rebuilt the hinges on my '96. It involved supporting the door with a floor jack and removing the hinges one at a time. After drilling out the holes slightly, new brass bushings can be pressed in which will accommodate the new pin. You should be able to reassemble with the cotter pin on the underside for that factory riveted look.
I can point you to a few links if you want to try rebuilding.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]