Skip to main content
Topic: Interesting...20th anny...turbo'd? with MOONROOF (Read 613 times) previous topic - next topic

Interesting...20th anny...turbo'd? with MOONROOF

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mercury-Cougar-1987-cougar-20th-anniversary-edition-/330687892408?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item4cfe88cbb8

Of all the reasons, yes that is why I took notice. :rollin: I am shocked to finally see one with a moonroof. No keyless entry, and thus no illuminated entry either. Looks like it may have power antenna, that is if they didn't shave the antenna. Left the door handles and badges alone though.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I see an intake elbow in front of a round housing, with a rag shoved in it, near the battery. A Holley Systemax intake, silicone hoses, looks like mass air...turbo build gone wrong/run out of money?
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #1
The engine pic is entirely too blurry for my aged eyes
Fox-less at the moment

Reply #2
omg! a (custom) turbo coupe hood! lmao..

i don't know if you're harping on the moonroof because it's an anny.. but my POS waste of steel 87 xr7 had a moonroof, no keyless and no illuminated entry.. the moonroof was the only thing i liked about that car lol

almost looks like the owner lost interest.. by the looks of it, it's so close to being finished, that it almost seems pointless of him to sell.. unless he's in a major financial bind
ShadowMSC.com < < Still Under Construction

R.I.P. 'Zump' 8/29/86 - 11/11/11
3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

Reply #3
I have yet to see a fox bird or cougar with sunroof in person. It's like they just don't exist in VA! lol

$1800 seems to be a decent deal.
...and there was light!

Reply #4
Yeah a LOT has been dumped into that I feel...didn't notice the "fresh paint job" for one thing.

Over the last I guess 3 years or so, being an avid craigslist/ebay crawler, especially with crazedlist making it real easy to check the whole nation out...the last 10 20th anniversary cougars, or however many I've seen, have not had a moonroof. I remember Eric making a comment at one time, that the 20th package was so prohibitively expensive, that typically either you just managed to make it happen, or had deep deep pockets and decked it out with everything, not much in between. And that definitely seems to be the case.
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #5
There were plenty of 20ths sold with power moonroofs. The problem is that was a very expensive option at the time.

The basic 20th package was a minimum $5K US over an LS model (which based at around $13K US). So we're talking $18K US just to get your foot into the door of one. For that much money you could have had an XR7.

The factory power moonroof option was the most expensive option at approx. $1200.

All other options...

45A Traction-Lok axle
573 Automatic temperature control
91H Power antenna
47J Illuminated entry system*
144 Keyless entry system*

...were not as expensive, even if bundled together, than a power moonroof.

So now, with the moonroof option, we're talking about a $20K US car. For a few grand more you could buy a Lincoln (Mark VII or Continental).
In those days that was a LOT of money.

I've seen quite a few 20ths with the moonroof option but many more without one.

Reply #6
Yup that's the schpiel LOL. More than 20k for the fox Continental!? Small car for that much money! :wtf: Haha