Skip to main content
Topic: Has any one ever tried this before? (Read 2124 times) previous topic - next topic

Has any one ever tried this before?

I was just lookong at a thread about ventvisors and I've looked before and I can't find any that say they would work on the 83-86 model birds or cougars. I was just wondering is anyone has tries the 87-88 ones would work? If so what did you do to make them fit? I was just thinking maybe someone has done this before I actually bought some and tried it.
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Re: Has any one ever tried this before?

Reply #1
they should work fine, (door/glass is the same besides some minor details) only thing i can see being a problem is if you have the vented windows, like the convertable cougars did.

Reply #2
nope no vent windows here. I just remember one time somebody telling me that the doors were different. I wasn't sure if the glass was the same. What brand do you have on your car and how do they mount. do they mount ontop the the window trim or do they clip in behind it. I just looked that the Auto vent shade book and all they said is 87-88  so I was thinkin there has to be a reason.
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Reply #3
I have an 87 and an 85 bird, the doors are identical, it seems everything but the front end and back end are the same.  Even the front fenders, I think....  They should work and if not, can't you return them?
1987 Thunderbird 3.8. Sold :(

1982 Thunderbird - Goodbye 255, Hello 302!

Reply #4
They should work fine. The 1983-86 specific ones are shiny aluminum that clip under the window trim, IIRC. The 1987-88 are smoked plastic. I don't see a reason why you couldn't use them on a non-vent window door.

Reply #5
Quote from: amooset
I have an 87 and an 85 bird, the doors are identical, it seems everything but the front end and back end are the same.  Even the front fenders, I think....  They should work and if not, can't you return them?

The doors are different....the trim and the body lines are not the same, but the doors themselves are the same general style.  the Fenders are again, the same general style, but the body moulding lines are different.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

Reply #6
Quote from: Chuck W
The doors are different....the trim and the body lines are not the same, but the doors themselves are the same general style.  the Fenders are again, the same general style, but the body moulding lines are different.

But the part he's concerned with, the part around the window at the top, should be identical.
1987 Thunderbird 3.8. Sold :(

1982 Thunderbird - Goodbye 255, Hello 302!

Reply #7
Koo Thanks for the input. I called Lund today and talked to a rep. I told him about the doors,windows,mirrors. where the same he said that they never had a car that old to try them on. I also pointed out that they listed the Stainless steel ones for the 83-86 models with vent windows. He said that since they started to make them in plastic they haven't had an older model to check fitment. Any how I would return them but they are special order and those have a no refund policy.  Any how with the extra info I fend into the guy he said he was pretty sure they would fit. I guess I'm just gonna have to order them and see if they work if not sombody better be willing to buy them off me cheap. LOL I can get my hands on them for about 35+ship
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Reply #8
They Will Fit Fine I Took Mine Off My 87 Put New Tape On And They Fit Perfect.be Sure To Clean The Felt Really Good With Acohol Or They Will Come Off