Skip to main content
Topic: baaaaad gas mileage (Read 3269 times) previous topic - next topic

baaaaad gas mileage

Reply #15
Okay thank you soul!
 i have been trying to remember for awhile now to put the orange some where but i also forget! where can i put it? Can i just bolt it down to the engine bay?
1987 turbo coupe 5speed: Boport stage 3 head/2.5 cam , Precision stage 3 50trim .63 turbo, Tial 38mm wastegate, Jangus gutted/ported intake manifolds, 60mm tb, Jangus open dumptube, Jangus 3" elbow, Perrin boost controller,Esslinger adjustable cam pulley, Esslinger small crank pulley, stinger FMI, RFL BOV, Spec stage 3 clutch, B&M short throw, 140 speedo, Walbo 255lph, BBK fpr, 3G alternator, ARP studs.  Be faster... :poke:

baaaaad gas mileage

Reply #16
Goes on the turbo housing, it is the ground for o2.

Bolt that on and it will probably solve your issue.

Great catch by Chuck.
88 Turbocoupe: Coast High Performance 331 kit 28oz balance, Comp XE264HR14 cam, 58cc 185 afr heads, 1.7 roller rockers, Mass-Flo EFI (was POS to setup and their techline is a joke at best)
Full 1 5/8 primary equal length headers, 2 1/2 exhaust, Full manual reverse VB c4 and baked off clear coat "BECAUSE RACECAR"

baaaaad gas mileage

Reply #17
There is no where for it to go on my turbo housing though. There arent any bolts on my turbo to bolt it down.
1987 turbo coupe 5speed: Boport stage 3 head/2.5 cam , Precision stage 3 50trim .63 turbo, Tial 38mm wastegate, Jangus gutted/ported intake manifolds, 60mm tb, Jangus open dumptube, Jangus 3" elbow, Perrin boost controller,Esslinger adjustable cam pulley, Esslinger small crank pulley, stinger FMI, RFL BOV, Spec stage 3 clutch, B&M short throw, 140 speedo, Walbo 255lph, BBK fpr, 3G alternator, ARP studs.  Be faster... :poke:

baaaaad gas mileage

Reply #18
There's a place somewhere.  If anything, loosen one of the compressor housing bolts, and attach it there.

Pics of the set-up would help.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

baaaaad gas mileage

Reply #19
Okay this is what i did, the wire wasnt long enough to reach to the back of the compressor housing so I took a metal strap and tightened it down pinching the wire to the inlet. I havent driven it yet though. I started Homework instead.

baaaaad gas mileage

Reply #20
Pip erratic signal means the computer isn't always seeing the distributor fire. That is what fires your injectors. It could be your coil, pip inside the dist, or the tfi or associated wiring.

Fix your o2 ground, trouble shoot your tfi, pip and coil. Check voltages, or replace your tps. Double check grounds, and go from there.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

baaaaad gas mileage

Reply #21
^ along with the other recomendations i suggest you start saving up and get a wideband o2 and some sort of tuner without them your giving up both performance and milage.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

baaaaad gas mileage

Reply #22
Is there anything i need to know before a change the TFI? anything i need to be careful of or to watchout for?

baaaaad gas mileage

Reply #23
Here is a good resource for some of the stuff we are talking about

http://www.turbotbird.com/techinfo/techarticles.html
88 Turbocoupe: Coast High Performance 331 kit 28oz balance, Comp XE264HR14 cam, 58cc 185 afr heads, 1.7 roller rockers, Mass-Flo EFI (was POS to setup and their techline is a joke at best)
Full 1 5/8 primary equal length headers, 2 1/2 exhaust, Full manual reverse VB c4 and baked off clear coat "BECAUSE RACECAR"

baaaaad gas mileage

Reply #24
So, did you drive it yet after connecting that orange wire?
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

baaaaad gas mileage

Reply #25
Thank you soul.
Yes i did drive it and it seems to be running better but it jerks when i drive. There use to be a light tint of blue smoke while i drove it but that went away once i grounded the wire.  havent filled it back up yet though to see the gas milegae. I am putting a new TFI on today to see if that stops the jerking. I also put a new coil on aswell but that didnt help the jerking.

baaaaad gas mileage

Reply #26
I changed the TFI and it is running way more smoothly now. i got the codes erased. im hoping they dont come back! I should be filling up here pretty soon and i'll post how im doing with gas consumption

baaaaad gas mileage

Reply #27
I just filled up and got 24.4 MPG!!! i drive it a steep hill once a day on Monday wednesday friday and on tuesday and thursday i drive up that steep hill 3 times! So 9-10 times a week i drive up a steep hill thats pretty long and i get 24.4 MPG. Im pumped!