Skip to main content
Topic: Anyone have experience with Moats quarterhorse? (Read 1420 times) previous topic - next topic

Anyone have experience with Moats quarterhorse?

http://www.moates.net/quarterhorse-for-fords-p-199.html

I'm thinking of going this route with a wideband o2 for tuning vs. tuner/dyno tune at a shop.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #1
All reports i've heard are that its brilliant.
and you guys have a lot more support for it over there compared to us.

I wouldn't hesitate to give it a go.
83 Thunderbird Heritage - Right Hand Drive
95 Falcon GLi

Reply #2
i've heard a ton of good things about quarterhorse.. but if you want the best advice/experienced opinions, take a look at eectuning.org.. the guys over there should be able to help you make a decision and get started, should you decide to pick 1 up
ShadowMSC.com < < Still Under Construction

R.I.P. 'Zump' 8/29/86 - 11/11/11
3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

Reply #3
Nothing beats a dyno tune and an experienced person to tune. As far as what you use to modify processing and signaling within the EEC, both the tweEECer and moats get pretty deep into almost every parameter of the EEC unit. one problem I've run into is dyno shops like to use whatever hardware they sell and are more familiar with, witch works to everyones advantage, I know i dont want to be paying some guy to learn my hardware. Every chip, tuner, and card has a different software interface, and they all have a learning curve. Simply put, the moates is great, I prefer the tweecer, and without a dyno you really can't know what you're doing or what you need to do. the dyno fills in all the info you need to modify the program accordingly, wide bands alone leave a lot of questions.

Reply #4
I hear ya, trust me I would love to be able to just drop it off somewhere, sit back and watch it get done, write a check, and drive away happy.  I got some pricing on dyno-tunes and I'll be anywhere from $650-$800 to do it plus I would need to tow the car there which depending on which shop I choose could be $150-300.  Than if I need a tow home for any reason I'm SOL with spending another $150-300 for a tow.  So the way I look at it getting it dyno-tuned could run me $950-$1400 which is not working with the budget right now. 

I can get into the QH for $560 + $100 for BE = $660 with wide band o2 and base tune from Willy@dirtydirtyracing over at the corral.  I talked to him last week and basically he will do the base tune than once I get my wideband installed I send him the logs and he will fine tune it from there.  Than I figured I could always use the track and even get a couple of dyno runs down the road see if it makes what it should and fine tune it further if needed.

So I don't know, I still haven't pulled the trigger on anything yet but in the next week or two I'll be making a decision.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #5
I hear ya, trust me I would love to be able to just drop it off somewhere, sit back and watch it get done, write a check, and drive away happy.  I got some pricing on dyno-tunes and I'll be anywhere from $650-$800 to do it plus I would need to tow the car there which depending on which shop I choose could be $150-300.  Than if I need a tow home for any reason I'm SOL with spending another $150-300 for a tow.  So the way I look at it getting it dyno-tuned could run me $950-$1400 which is not working with the budget right now. 

I can get into the QH for $560 + $100 for BE = $660 with wide band o2 and base tune from Willy@dirtydirtyracing over at the corral.  I talked to him last week and basically he will do the base tune than once I get my wideband installed I send him the logs and he will fine tune it from there.  Than I figured I could always use the track and even get a couple of dyno runs down the road see if it makes what it should and fine tune it further if needed.

So I don't know, I still haven't pulled the trigger on anything yet but in the next week or two I'll be making a decision.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #6
1 of the quotes you got wasn't from all about performance in jersey, was it? i've heard a lot of horror stories come out of there..

3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

Reply #7
Yeah I read about them.. there's another local to me about 20min away in Aston Pa which went downhill in the last couple years.  Any word on bigdaddyperformance on your side of the river in lakewood Nj?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #8
never heard of them.. and i don't like going anywhere near lakewood, it's.. bad.. like south philly ghetto bad lol

contact fonse performance.. they did the tune a couple years ago for 1 of my customer's 8.5 index camaro

http://fonseperformance.com/

Reply #9
Lol, South Philly isnt ghetto bad dude..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #10
north philly? i always thought south philly was where all the shootings, muggings and whatnot happens daily.. iunno.. i stay out of philly, i'm not a city kind of person lol so i'll compare it to the ghetto in camden.. at night.. where a whiteboy like me won't survive lol

Reply #11
LOL, nah its cool.. I actually walk down the street without getting mugged, take the subway everyday to work etc... Any city has it good and bad parts and you really can't rely on the news to not scare the living  out of everyone.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #12
This is why I love having a brother in law that owns a dyno as long as I pay for the chip the tunes are free
87 TC
HO Swap, T5 Swap, Mach Springs, CHE Upper and Lower control arms, Mach Chin spoiler, soon to be Procharged.

:evilgrin: Nitrous is like a hot chick with an STD you want to hit it but are scared of the consequences. :evilgrin:

Reply #13
Quote from: bigbada1;381382
This is why I love having a brother in law that owns a dyno as long as I pay for the chip the tunes are free

that's cheating lol i'd love to have free access to a chassis dyno.. i think i would spend too much time on it, though ;)