Skip to main content
Topic: TC vs. SN95 Brakes (Read 3807 times) previous topic - next topic

TC vs. SN95 Brakes

If you have a TC, is it worth replacing your front and rear brakes with SN95 brakes?  From doing some research, I see TC front and rear calipers have bigger pistons in their calipers.  TC's also seem to have better rotors.
I'm just curious to see what the brake gurus have to say about this.
William

TC vs. SN95 Brakes

Reply #1
I've had the stock 10" disks and drums, (front and rear, stock Sport set up) TC front, and 10" drum rear, and now currently have SN95 fronts and still waiting on the rear, probably going to use Mark VII stuff when I have time to get the axles and hardware, backing plates, etc.

As far as stopping feel, I liked the TC front/10" drum rear setup, but to be fair, right now it doesn't have rear brakes, so obviously it's a biased argument.

Now if you could get SN95 Cobra fronts.....hmmmm....
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

TC vs. SN95 Brakes

Reply #2
From what I've read, SN95's have smaller front rotors than TC's (10.5" I think.  That would mean TC's have bigger front rotors AND bigger caliper pistons squeezing the front pads, so I'm not surpized you liked the feel of the TC fronts better.  I read that TC rear rotors ar 10" and vented, whereas SN95's have solid rear rotors (10" too I think) that are pr0ne to building up a lot of heat.  Couple that with the smaller caliper pistons SN95's have out back and I don't see why anyone would opt for SN95 brakes over TC ones.  Maybe I'm missing something though.
William

TC vs. SN95 Brakes

Reply #3
I feel the advantage to SN95 brakes, are the ability to upgrade. :)
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

TC vs. SN95 Brakes

Reply #4
Now THAT makes sense.  I knew there had to be a reason.  I'm gonna do a search to see what kind of good upgrades are out there for them.  If I find any good ones, I might upgrade the brakes on my TC this summer.
William

TC vs. SN95 Brakes

Reply #5
Not just brake upgrades - your wheel choices are far greater, too...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

TC vs. SN95 Brakes

Reply #6
Exactly...GT500 wheels won't clear Mark Vii hubs w/o machining. For the work needed, just upgrade to SN95 stuff and leave on the table the ability to upgrade the brakes later. Win, win.

I'm sure my car will stop better once I get the rear brakes in, new soft hoses (most likely SS) and a better master/booster.
'98 Explorer 5.0

TC vs. SN95 Brakes

Reply #7
at first, i didn't notice much of a difference.. after a few days of driving, i began to realize how well the car reacts with the SN95 setup. i'm not 1 to worry about braking power, as i don't race on a road course or screw around on the street, but it's really a vast improvement over the stock  the car came with.. it really compliments the power the car makes very well
ShadowMSC.com < < Still Under Construction

R.I.P. 'Zump' 8/29/86 - 11/11/11
3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

TC vs. SN95 Brakes

Reply #8
It will be nice already having an SN95 MC and 93 Cobra booster on my TC.  When I'm ready to install SN95 rotors and PBR dual piston calipers, I'll already have the right MC and booster to handle the big calipers on the car and ready to go.
William

TC vs. SN95 Brakes

Reply #9
That's my plan, the '99+ dual piston jobs, my Stanger buddy has 'em for his '86 Notch.. Worlds better than stock stuff. If you're not expecting him to hit the brakes, you'll eat the dash if not buckled up lol.
'98 Explorer 5.0

TC vs. SN95 Brakes

Reply #10
Not quite the same  but i went from a 11" single piston front brake setup  to the  sn95 99-04 dual piston  setup and i could feel a big differance in my manual disc setup.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

TC vs. SN95 Brakes

Reply #11
Ok.  You guys need to stop talking about those dual piston calipers.  You're getting me too worked up!  :P
William

TC vs. SN95 Brakes

Reply #12
They are huge Vic, huge...ha ha ha!!!

Screwy thing is the '99 and up V6 or GT front calipers are PBR's and have 44mm pistons. The Cobra units are also twin piston PBR's but are 41mm. I tried to work up a bracket to adapt the V6/GT units on Cobra calipers but the Cobra calipers are so much thicker than the V6/GT calipers that it leaves very little room for error. The most likely outcome would be knock back (basically the caliper jamming on the rotor) and that is not something I find desirable.

One thing that makes the stock SN95 front brakes do much better than the TC front brakes is the rotors not being part of the hub which means cheaper rotors. Another thing is massaging the spindles to accept the '99 and up G6/GT calipers which gives a dual piston setup that is far superior to the single piston setup of the Fox calipers.

You guys should look into the '85 Lincoln Towncar master cylinder instead of the SN95 master cylinder. It has a 1" bore and the fittings are all SAE versus metric like the SN95 stuff. With the Lincoln TC master cylinder you do not have to do the 3-2 conversion. 

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

TC vs. SN95 Brakes

Reply #13
Quote from: Aerocoupe;380092
They are huge Vic, huge...ha ha ha!!!

Screwy thing is the '99 and up V6 or GT front calipers are PBR's and have 44mm pistons. The Cobra units are also twin piston PBR's but are 41mm. I tried to work up a bracket to adapt the V6/GT units on Cobra calipers but the Cobra calipers are so much thicker than the V6/GT calipers that it leaves very little room for error. The most likely outcome would be knock back (basically the caliper jamming on the rotor) and that is not something I find desirable.

One thing that makes the stock SN95 front brakes do much better than the TC front brakes is the rotors not being part of the hub which means cheaper rotors. Another thing is massaging the spindles to accept the '99 and up G6/GT calipers which gives a dual piston setup that is far superior to the single piston setup of the Fox calipers.

You guys should look into the '85 Lincoln Towncar master cylinder instead of the SN95 master cylinder. It has a 1" bore and the fittings are all SAE versus metric like the SN95 stuff. With the Lincoln TC master cylinder you do not have to do the 3-2 conversion. 

Darren

Awesome stuff here.
'98 Explorer 5.0