Skip to main content
Topic: ABS Braking system (Read 1221 times) previous topic - next topic

ABS Braking system

Does anyone know where to obtain parts for the ABS installed on the 1988 Turbo coupe.  :bowdown: I have a leak at the break pressure senor that is attached to the brake valve.  When we fill it it just runs out the sensor.  It looks to be a screw on type but not sure.  Who made these and are they capable of being rebuilt?

This baby has been setting for two years and the breaks had to have a complete work over.  Gee has parts gone up.  The break job was in-excess of $700 for new about everything.    She is ready to go back on the road except for the breaks.  I have rear but not full front.

ABS Braking system

Reply #1
pretty sure you can only get them from a syard now.  I swapped mine over to a mustang style when it broke.

ABS Braking system

Reply #2
OK please explain mustang type?  I know but I am a little lost.  If I new how I would change over to the non ABS type.

ABS Braking system

Reply #3
I got a vacspooge booster from a fox mustang and a master cylinder from a 93 Cobra.  I then got a brake prop valve from summit.  You just have to bend up your own brake lines.  I have 2 ABS units, but am not 100% sure they work.

ABS Braking system

Reply #5
B-r-a-k-e
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

ABS Braking system

Reply #6
Thanks guys....I had just found that information sheet and have printed it out.  I did find a place that has the ABS system rebuilt but for $1200. +.    So I will be rebuilding mine to a Non abs system per the instruction sheet.  Will let you know how I do.  Haven't worked on a car as to rebuilding it since I was a kid.  I s there any cautions I should know about before I start this?

ABS Braking system

Reply #7
Do you still have the ABS units?

ABS Braking system

Reply #8
OK here goes nothing!!!!!!

The best place for the ABS units on older vehicles is in the DUMPSTER.

Get rid of the thing it is junk and as many first gen systems they are not very good. Now with that if you have a 100% showroom car and want to keep it that way it is mandatory to fix the system. But to keep it as a viable option is not very productive. The early systems were a bit to be desired. OK now you can beat me UP. Thanks
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

ABS Braking system

Reply #9
Not going to beat you up Tom, but I disagree. The system in the TC is a pretty good one in my opinion and worth keeping if you can find parts.

They are getting harder to find for sure. I have stockpiled a few spares to keep mine going, but haven't used any yet. I have found them to be pretty hardy and reliable if maintained.